• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1992 M998 First Time HMMWV

florky

My girl showed up today. Needed a jump to get started. Turned right over and purred like a kitten. Needs a jump to restart, so I guess batteries are in order. I did have a issue with an electrical plug - there were 4 red wiring plugs on the passenger side, rear engine compartment that were not plugged into anything, and would arc and kill the rig. It looks like there is #58 on the metal tag, but not 100% sure on it. Attached some pics - maybe someone can shed some light on them.

Also - looks like my 2 man has seats in the rear. Is this an added bonus for me? Does this mean that my 2 man was a 4 man at some point?

Thanks! Looking forward to the new hobby.

IMG_1379.jpgIMG_1378.jpgIMG_1377.jpgIMG_1376.jpgIMG_1375.jpgIMG_1374.jpg

dk8019

Those look like glow plug connectors, which is very odd, since they appear to be hooked up, and plus it actually will start. The seats are normally like that, the cover parts of the bed double as seat backs, but it may very well have been a four man at one point.

florky

Red plugs are not for the glow plugs. Opened her up and looks like all glow plugs are plugged in. Need to track down that wiring harness. There are 6 wires in that wrapped harness section - the 4 red which were not plugged in and the 2 black that go to the side of the block (Cold Advance Switch from what I can find) Is there a wiring number cross reference somewhere? Have all the TM's on desktop - going thru them....

Action

Red plugs are for glow plugs. They are taped up to stop a short. What red wires are you tracking. I believe the only red wires I have are battery cables. Maybe yours has been hacked up.

dk8019

Red/orange is the glow plug connector. Why you have more than eight is a bit confusing. Perhaps the harness was replaced but not removed?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the fold. Time to get busy on the TMs and parts references.

That wiring does look odd. My HMMWV has plenty of cut wires, from removed equipment, but nothing like that.

You'll figure it out I'm sure. If the taped off wires have little metal tags on them, you should be able to look them up on the wiring diagram. Sorry I don't have mine handy to refer you.

Bulldogger

florky

Any idea where I can find the electrical numbering cross reference?
Been scrolling the TM

Looking to identify 575G 575H 575J 575K

Those are the numbers off of the tags for the red connectors that are not plugged in in this picture
IMG_1377.jpg

I put the tape on them - one was arcing to the block and shutting down the hmmwv

Action

They are all glow plug wires. The 575 refers to the circuit. The letter after it is just a connection point. All 575 wires are connected together.
The 8 glow plug wires are 575...B, C, D, E, G, H, J, K
Wiring diagrams are in the back of the maintenance manual.
Then 575A runs to the connector by the washer fluid bottle at terminal D.

florky

OK - Found 4 more red connectors on the drivers all taped up also (The other 4 575 wires)

Glow plug wires are labeled on the metal id tags as G2 G4 G6 G8 on passenger side and G1 G3 G5 G7 on the drivers side
Looks like a repair of some sort - trying to locate these id's - but the old 575 wires definitely have power running to them - just not sure yet if it's only during the glow plug cycling of full time.

Action

It appears the person that put the G wires on did not know exactly how a diesel operates. They numbers the wires as if they fire in order. All of the glow plug wires come on at the same time. I guess you need to figure out where the glow plugs are getting power from. If it is constant, you are gonna have issues with swolen plugs.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me....I would replace the engine harness. There should be NO voltage on the glow plugs wires after the lamp goes out....if you have voltage while running....that's a problem, who knows what bubba did.

HUMVEE1

I just a guess, but there was a PCB made that had a separate glow plug harness coming out a hole near the washer reservoir. This would account for 16 glow plug leads and it is the original leads that are taped up and the
other set connected.
This is a very dangerous condition because that is the PCB that can start the truck on its own.
The solution, if I am right about the PCB with the separate harness, is to get a new safer PCB and GPC, go back to using the original harness, and disconnect the unsafe harness and PCB.

florky

I just a guess, but there was a PCB made that had a separate glow plug harness coming out a hole near the washer reservoir. This would account for 16 glow plug leads and it is the original leads that are taped up and the
other set connected.
This is a very dangerous condition because that is the PCB that can start the truck on its own.
The solution, if I am right about the PCB with the separate harness, is to get a new safer PCB and GPC, go back to using the original harness, and disconnect the unsafe harness and PCB.

I do have the separate glow plug wiring harness on the Distribution Box/PCB
TM 9-2320-280-20-2 Change 3 4-12.3/(4-12.4 blank) Page #204

Last edited: