• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1993 3L80 Transmission Filter Change (bolt loose to filter) Correct or not?

dskupi01

I went to change the filter on my 1993 AM General M998 Humvee HMMWV. Opened pan,
and filter was loose. I've done other GM transmission oil changes (4l60 I
think). For them, the filter was press fit into the pump with no
bolt.

Looking at the bolt, (see attached pics) it appears too long. I
assume the bolt should moderately clamp the filter to the underside of the
valve body. As it is now, there's play. Correct? Anyone
do a recent change? Is the bolt for assembly only & remains loose after torquing, and the bottom of the
pan holds the filter in location?

Part 13 in second pic. Shoulder is 1 5/16" and overall length is 2 3/8". Bolt is NLA from GM, or I would just buy a new one. Option B, junkyard, but I wanted to ask here first.

Also, planning on using Dextron 6.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

dskupi01

Thanks. I was a little concerned. Less now. Everyone's reply helped. I will measure and reply. Roughly, looks correct. Hole is elongated with shoulder fitting in elongated hole.

Duster06

Thanks guys. I just did the exact same thing and was concerned. I'm curious now as to the rational behind designing the filter to be lose while the bolt is tight. My only thoughts are that the manufacturing engineer was worried that if you could tighten the filter, you would torque the plastic suction tube and break it.

NormB

Thanks guys. I just did the exact same thing and was concerned. I'm curious now as to the rational behind designing the filter to be lose while the bolt is tight. My only thoughts are that the manufacturing engineer was worried that if you could tighten the filter, you would torque the plastic suction tube and break it.
I don't understand engineers. Hung out with some as an undergrad. Mostly EECS types, but some mechanical and bioengineering types. I - and my friends in the bio sciences - thought they were absolute "grinds," found out they held similar opinions of us in the pre-med fields (chem-bio), but they don't seem to think like real people.

As evidence, I present MS-DOS and the PC computer. Plus this one HMMWV "issue," among many others.

QED.

I had exactly the same question when I changed my filter.

WTF?

NOTHING in the manual states "WTFO" much less a more informative "by the way, YES, the filter WILL be loose on the retaining bolt, it was designed that way for reasons mankind and Skippy the motor pool monkey just weren't meant to know. Don't worry about it, just torque to spec., finish this job, go get a grape soda and sneak another Kool cigarette while Top's not watching."

There was never - to my knowledge - a PS magazine update cartoon with Connie Rod talking about floppy filters either.

But this seemed to be a common enough concern it was fairly easy to find references to it on this website so I could move on to buttoning everything up and refilling the transmission.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks