• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1994 M1123 won’t start. Please help!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok so I got it running after having the IP rebuilt. I replaced the fuel pump on the block as well, started right up and ran great. This morning it started right up and idled for 20 minutes No problem. Now it starts after cranking for about 20 seconds runs for about 20 seconds and dies every time. Please help
I can't swear to it, but it sounds like you have some sort of air leak. Sucking air when it shouldn't be. Maybe go through the fuel lines and make sure that you didn't leave something loose or maybe something vibrated loose on that 20 minute run... Maybe?

MrLucky7137

I can't swear to it, but it sounds like you have some sort of air leak. Sucking air when it shouldn't be. Maybe go through the fuel lines and make sure that you didn't leave something loose or maybe something vibrated loose on that 20 minute run... Maybe?

thank you. I just went to my sons baseball game came home. It started up after cranking for about 10 seconds and ran fine for about 10 minutes until it got warm then died.

MrLucky7137

MrLucky7137

Do you have fuel coming up? While cranking open the fuel filter drain located on the driver fender well. It should flow pretty good with a working pump. Follow the fuel hose leaving the bottom of the filter to its terminus. Should have a little elbow valve on it.

good morning. Any idea why my 98 m1123 6.5 will start when it’s cold but dies as soon as it gets up to temp?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose it is possible you have the cold advance wire and the run wire reversed on the IP so when it does warm up it shuts off power the the cold advance (which if reversed actually shuts off power to the run solenoid)
The run wire, 54A should be connected to the most forward connector on the IP

MrLucky7137

I suppose it is possible you have the cold advance wire and the run wire reversed on the IP so when it does warm up it shuts off power the the cold advance (which if reversed actually shuts off power to the run solenoid)
Thank you. I believe I have them right on the IP. I went off a different thread on here someone posted a pic of the diagram 👍.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well then there is only two things that it could be, lack of power to the IP run solenoid or you are loosing fuel.
Again, have you replaced the fuel filter, all the rubber fuel lines and removed the check valves in front of the fuel tank?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It likely has nothing to do with actual heat, the engine cannot get overheated in 10 minuits as long as it is full of water, it takes a long time to actually warm up.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it surge or rev up a little just before it dies or is it just like shutting off the switch?

MrLucky7137

I just switched em and now it won’t start at all.

MrLucky7137

Well then there is only two things that it could be, lack of power to the IP run solenoid or you are loosing fuel.
Again, have you replaced the fuel filter, all the rubber fuel lines and removed the check valves in front of the fuel tank?
I did replace the filter and all of the fuel lines. Didn’t know about the check valves

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again does it surge or rev up a little just before it dies or is it just like shutting the run switch off.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some issues can be, plugged fuel screen in the tank, the for-mentioned check valves, bad fuel pump, plugged fuel filter, leaking (sucking air) fuel lines (would be before the fuel pump)
If you do not have some flow from the fuel filter drain while cranking or running it is no bueno

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you replaced the fuel pump did you remove the plate behind the pump, remove and grease the push rod so it would stay up in the block before installing the new pump?