• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1997 M1078 will not start

Ambeihl

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am currently working on a 1997 m1078 with a cat 3116 and a wtec II transmission controller. When I flip on the master power switch, the lights illuminate as they should but when I press the starter button it sounds like the starter begins to turn over but then all of the lights/power go out. All of the batteries are fully charged but the voltage meter on the dash never reads higher than 24 volts in the yellow. After each attempt to start it the voltage meter will drop by ½ a volt. When I try to start again, I can sometimes hear a clicking noise in the direction of the power distribution panel (Sounds and feels like it's the K2 relay). Does anyone have an idea on what could be causing this?
I do not have starter M0017703MD that is listed in TMs, instead my truck had M0017705ME (I believe the one commonly used in CAT C7s) when I purchased it. I replaced all circuit breakers with fuses, I replaced a few bad relays and I replaced the auxiliary starter solenoid on the drivers side frame rail with a new one.
IMG_1208.jpg

coachgeo

check all your grounds and check to make sure you have no hots grounding .... thus feeding back into ground. In particular in the areas you have recently been in/around

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start by disassembling all the battery terminals and cleaning and inspecting the terminals and cable ends.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Check the main ground from the batt box to the starter. And all the batt terminals and their respective connections as recommended above.

Ambeihl

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The battery terminals have all been cleaned and replaced where needed. I will check the main ground to the starter tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had this issue on a CUCV. You will need to have someone press the button to cause the fault condition while you probe around with a voltmeter to see where you are loosing the voltage. In my case, a crimped on cable end had corroded between the cable and terminal, and would only conduct power for the ignition circuit, but not cranking amps.

spankybear

Last edited:

spankybear

I am currently working on a 1997 m1078 with a cat 3116 and a wtec II transmission controller. When I flip on the master power switch, the lights illuminate as they should but when I press the starter button it sounds like the starter begins to turn over but then all of the lights/power go out. All of the batteries are fully charged but the voltage meter on the dash never reads higher than 24 volts in the yellow. After each attempt to start it the voltage meter will drop by ½ a volt. When I try to start again, I can sometimes hear a clicking noise in the direction of the power distribution panel (Sounds and feels like it's the K2 relay). Does anyone have an idea on what could be causing this?
I do not have starter M0017703MD that is listed in TMs, instead my truck had M0017705ME (I believe the one commonly used in CAT C7s) when I purchased it. I replaced all circuit breakers with fuses, I replaced a few bad relays and I replaced the auxiliary starter solenoid on the drivers side frame rail with a new one.
View attachment 727583
The M0017703 and M0017705 starters are interchangeable. The only difference is the 03 has a small connector on the end that is not used anymore. Other than that the 05 is e-coated and the 03 is painted. Everything else is the same.

Ambeihl

Steel Soldiers Supporter

andyhammer0221

Hello, your information is very
interesting. I have found some related information that you can use. Wisconn
Techonolgy Co.,Ltd provides similar connector products to support your needs. They
are recently offering free sample products. If you need to contact Wisconn,
here is the website: https://www.wis-connector.com/.
Maybe you can search their products online before you are buying. Their
products are very supportive. I have their contact. Nayeli Ko is the person who
take in charge of all the sales contacts. Here is her information: nayeli@wis-connector.com.
And her number as well: TW:+886-2-2790-1979 #66 US: +1 (407) 282-3220 UK:
+44-2033896967. Hope my info is useful for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks