• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1998 6.5/4l80E swap..

tourus

OK . this is the same old same but maybe a new twist if that is possible.. I have a change to buy a 1998 GMC 3500 dully 4x4. 6.5 / 4L80E.. both new with paper work about 10,000 miles on each done at same time. The truck got hit in the nose the kid that owns it hit something or went off road. I know dad real well work with him it was his fathers truck.( they don't talk about what happen) but I can buy the truck for about 1200.00.. thought was buy and do a complete swap engine and trans and transfer. computer and every thing .. WHAT DO YOU THINK ?? worth the time and effort..

big job may take a few months but what the heck.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion a total swap is not worth the effort. Too many electronic gizmos that really won't fit.

Now to use the engine and tranny and dump the DB4 injector pump and add a mechanical DB2 pump is a good idea.

The transfer case will not work.

Chaski

I'd consider it. Like warthog said the transfer case won't work (it is a drivers side drop and you need a passenger side drop). The 4L80e and the turbo 6.5 would be nice. I have no idea if the stock computer could somehow be rigged up to control the transmission, you may want to budget for a stand alone controller. The only other things I can think of is that the turbo 6.5 setup won't fit in a pickup with factory AC (not a problem in a CUCV), and that you would probably want to retain the 6.5's serpentine belt system which would mean you would need to do a 12V conversion. Also, like warthog said that DS4 (not DB4) pump is a problem waiting to happen. At the very least to a remote install of the PMD (pump mounted driver), they are electronic and if they die, so does your engine. They are known to cook in their stock mounting point in the valley of the engine. Next best thing would be to get a DB2 pump and injector lines and swap in a simple mechanical pump, the lines for a ds4 won't work on a db2 as the fitting on the pump side is a different size. Last thing I can think of is that If you are dead set on a dual alternator setup and vee belts make sure you swap out the water pump. Serpentine = counterclockwise, vee = clockwise pump rotation.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question would be, is the truck fixable with a front clip? Slap some 383 green on it and you got a CUCV II clone. I am in awe of my '00 Chevy 3500 4x4 with the same powertrain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks