• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1A08,2A016,4A032 carburetor

68impalass

Has anyone here come up with a fix for these carburetor floats? I have a couple of these engines and the floats are not very compatible with this new gasoline. I'm also out of good floats and no one seems to have them. thanks

I've got one I've coated with Kreem, I'm planning on trying it here shortly. The other option is to get a model 49009 brass float and fabricate a new bracket for it. CAREFULLY remove the old one using a soldering gun.

I've been in contact with Zenith fuel systems and they don't seem willing to do an upgraded one.

you can find the info on the brass one on the Yahoo 4A032 group: 4A032 : 4A032 Engine Group

HTH

DieselBob

Yes, the gasoline with alcohol eats up the floats on these engines, and the floats don't float anymore. Here in NY I can't find any straight gasoline anymore. Anyone else????

Thats interesting. I never gave the alcohol in modern gas a thought. Just thinking out loud but does aviation grade gasoline contain alcohol ?. Maybe source from a small GA airport.

PsycoBob

I just got a NOS 2A016. Test-fired it... and found this issue when stooging around the forums. I've got my carb disassembled, and I'm waiting for the MEK to thin the semi-dried can of gas tank sealer. Supposedly Model-airplane 'fuel-proof dope' works well.

I've got a cheapo 2-stroke genset with a leaky float that needs sealing too.

I've also heard of people trying epoxy, with mixed results. Plastic epoxy might adhere better to the shellac on the .mil float, as well as to the chicom float. I'm guessing that rubbery sealant will adhere better than hard epoxy, but the sealant I've got is likely older than I am. Given it's age, I'm not very confident that they designed it to resist ethanol- or permeability to ethanol.

After work tomorrow, I'll try to remember to stop in at a hobby shop and see if they sell that dope.

68impalass

sorry to bring this up again. Anyone had any luck with this float problem? I bought a couple of brass floats for a Tecumseh, fabed up out of brass new brackets. Got any suggestions the best way to solder them on without having the float to leak? thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks