• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st Annual Builder77 Memorial Tidewater Virginia Drive In!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Calling all SS members who live in the Tidewater or Southside area of Virgina (Richmond, Petersburg and the Peninsula are fine too)!! Several of us have talked about having a drive-in, but we haven't managed to get it off of the ground. We just need to pick a date and a location.

I would think a Saturday afternoon would be a good time for most of us to meet up. We could pick a restaurant that caters to this type of thing, like Hooters or the like. If it was big enough, then we could also do a covered-dish type lunch at a park.

We could even convoy down to Sandbrige beach and park in the public parking area or down in the wildlife refuge. Va. Beach is too crazy this time of year.

The weekends in August are pretty open for me right now.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

peecook

RE: Tidewater Virginia Drive In!!!

the last two weekends in August work for me. i'll talk to the Richmonders, maybe we can all come down together.

Daneil

I'm cool with it. Just give me a date. Anyone given anythought to getting in touch with the Museum at Ft. Eustis. They might let us drive up there and park. Go see the gun truck and what not. Just a thought.

peecook

we could also meet at the York River State Park around exit 231 10 miles or so from Ft Eustis

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

That could be fun. Daneil, do you want to call Ft. Eustis and see if they would let us come in as a group with our trucks? We could do some take-out at the park and then drive over to Eustis for some sightseeing. That's about 1.5 hours from here. How's the drive for everyone else?

MarineTracs

Sounds like a good idea to me. Several of us plan on attending the Virginia War Museum's event in Newport News in September (see earlier thread) and all are welcome. Additionally, if there was enough interest, we could possibly approach the City of Chesapeake about the feasability/possibility of using the city park off of Greenbriar Parkway. I know that they have had motorcycle club events there in the past. Also, there are tons of motels, restaurants and shopping alll within a few miles. Just a few additional thoughts and ideas for all to peruse.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Chuck. I am going to try to make the VWM show as well. I have talked with M215 about that in the last few weeks.

I am up for anything from an informal drive-in at a local restaurant to a picnic/sightseeing adventure. Let's keep the dialog going.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might be interested, it's a drive for me (I have lots of long-distance drives in the Sep-Oct 2008 timeframe, what's one more?) but I have been looking at getting down toward the beach this summer.

mhodges

Scott- I like the idea- at least something to remember all of Ethan's contributions, help and friendship here on SS... I miss talking to him in the mess tent- wish I could have met him in person. This event is probably something he would have loved to come to, and I think he would be proud that we thought of him.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice thinking, Scott. We had talked about doing the VA Rally for Ethan next year, but this would be a nice way to honor him now. He definitely would have attended. So, if there are no objections, then we shall call the event, "The Ethan Allen Alexander Memorial MV Drive-In."

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Good for you guys!!! I wish I was closer. I am planning on the show in New Port News in Sept. I`ve done several events in my area lately and am going to one Saturday. Everyone needs to do as many as possible for the cause. Hopefully I`ll meet all of you folks at the end of September

Neil

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How does Saturday August 23rd work for everyone?

I just had a buddy tell me that when they do hot-rod drive-in's at Chick-fil-A, they get a free meal on the house for the publicity. Maybe we could work something out with them. He said they take 40 cars over there sometimes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chick-fil-A is a great friend of the community. I've never experienced a food place that gives back as much as they do. S. Truett Kathy is a blessed man and shares his fortune with his employees, the community and the church. Can you tell I support Chick-fil-A 100%?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks