• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st Annual Builder77 Memorial Tidewater Virginia Drive In!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
GunnersHusband said:
Roger, I'll be there... are we just going for any shelter.... ideally one close to the parking lot?
We'll have access to any of them so long as they aren't the big one that require reservations. If you get there before me, just grab the closest one to a big chunk of parking lot. We'll spread some stuff out on the lot to hold some spaces for the rest of the group.

Here's the most current list:

Member:::::::::::::Food::::::::::::Number of people
Peecook:: charcoal, lighter fluid, tongs :: 2+ maybe Rick
MHodges:: Baked Beans/Chips :: 1?
Steelsoldiers:: Hot dogs and buns:: 2.5 (wife and baby will probably show if it's not raining)
MarineTracs:: Paper plates, napkins, forks, mustard/ketchup :: 1+ ? VMPA guys
GunnersHusband:: Soft-drinks/water, GP small :: 4
Blake:: Cookies :: 1

Blake, since you'll be there last, I nominated you to bring some sort of dessert. Cookies, whatever...

MarineTracs

I'll have everything designated for me on list, probably a few other odds and ends as well. I have had no further word from other members of the VMPA. Last 'semi-official' word I had was 1 definite (plus probably his wife) and 2 probable/maybe/like too's.
I'll see you tomorrow!

MarineTracs

I just heard from some of the other VMPA guys and it looks like a total of three guys and one wife saying they are coming. Projected vehicles are a 1944 MB, a Nam era/painted deuce and a desert painted deuce. They are all shooting for 1000. I have a couple of quick projects tomorrow morning, but I plan on being there by 1000 and hopefully by 0930.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the update, Chuck!

Here's the final tally for tomorrow:

Member:::::::::::::Food::::::::::::Number of people
Peecook:: charcoal, lighter fluid, tongs :: 2
Rick:: ? :: 1
MHodges:: Baked Beans/Chips :: 1?
Steelsoldiers:: Hot dogs and buns:: 2.5 (wife and baby are coming)
MarineTracs:: Paper plates, napkins, forks, mustard/ketchup :: 1
GunnersHusband:: Soft-drinks/water, GP small :: 4
Blake:: Cookies :: 1
VMPA guys :: ? :: 3 + 1 wife

So we're looking at around 15 people and 9 or 10 MV's. Sounds like a good turn-out! See y'all in the AM.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think Blake is going to bring his Jeep, M38A1 I believe.

I just got back from the store with 32 hot dogs and 32 buns. Hope y'all are hungry!

Well I made it home safely, I suspect it will be a couple more hours before we hear from some of you. But I for one had a great time, and am happy to have met you all..... very much looking forward to our next "6x6 Picnic" Pictures to follow.........

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great to finally put some names with some faces! The food was good and the weather was beautiful! I'd like to do another one this fall when it's cooler. We should be able to get some lake-front parking and we won't have to sweat quite so bad driving those non-AC trucks. I love peeling my legs off of hot CUCV vinyl seats :) I like how you only took pics after I left ;) Sorry I had to leave early, but Daddy-duty took precedence over MV's.

steelsoldiers said:
I like how you only took pics after I left ;) Sorry I had to leave early, but Daddy-duty took precedence over MV's.
I had actually forgotten about pictures UNTIL you left........ I freaked and wanted to start taking some before everyone left...... nothing personal I promise.

peecook

well, this SS finally got home at 10pm. steering wheel got stock in the left positions s I was turning in the gas station. 3 tow trucks, 45 mins of fighting with AAA, 2.5 hrs baking in the sun, and 2 hr trip home from Willaimsburg with my new friend Eddie the tow truck driver, the 109 made it home. it all worked out. thanks to Rick, Lee, Pete and Adrian for the initial walkthroughs and ideas. i had a great time toda and it was great to meet all of you.

the good news, i did save 60 miles of diesel :)

peecook said:
the good news, i did save 60 miles of diesel :)

Yikes, at what cost... I certainly hope AAA finally pulled their heads out and towed you... I'd hate to see that bill

sorry to hear about your steering that's mighty strange keep us posted on what you figure out.......

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dang, Jason. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope Jill got it all on film for the rest of us ;) Any idea what happened? Steering shaft, box, drag link?

MarineTracs

Peecook, I'm sorry to hear about the mechanical trouble. I know how frustrating that whole situation can be. I hope it didn't put too big a damper on the days outing for you.
All in all, I think this worked out extremely well. Especially for a first time event. Good company, military trucks and a cook out! I haven't had such a good time since I got out of the Corps. OK, maybe that is stretching it a bit, but I still had a great time. Finally got to associate faces with the names.
Count me in for future Tidewater events.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you guys had a good time! Being a Virginian myself, I feel a bit guilty about this, but my trucks are not prepped for a 700 mile roundtrip at this time...not to mention insurance and AAA?
Tell us more about your steering problem when you get a chance, Peecook, that's a new one.

MarineTracs

No pics from me. Unfortunately, I left the camera on my folding chairs in the garage, where I had carefully stacked them to make sure they were not left behind. At least I did not forget to drive the M37. I'll try to do better next time, I promise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks