• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st Deuce Project Begins

StoneMill

The deuce is finally titled, registered, and insured. So, I started disassembling her this past week. I've got about three days in it so far. The plan was to do a decent clean up and sand down for paint. Now it looks like I'm going to go a little deeper.
The old bed had some small spots of rust. I got a good deal on a nicer bed so the old one got pulled off first. We kept going removing the fenders, tool box, battery box, hood, windshield, doors, seats, and access panels. The only things left are the fuel tank (which of course is full) and the cab. I wasn't going to pull the cab, but I'm this far, and I have the time, so it'll be coming off this Sunday unless someone with more wisdom tells me it's not a good idea.
While the cab is off I'll go ahead and replace the clutch and pressure plate. It was slipping bad ever since the rear main went out on the trip home the day I bought it. Was hoping it would clear up after cleaning it quite a few times but it didn't happen.
I have a bunch of plans for this truck. Going to relocate the batteries to under the passenger seat with a custom box, add a second fuel tank (need to locate a tank asap), flip the hubs (and add super singles sometime down the road), replace wheel/axle seals, replace throttle linkage (sticks at times), add some interior lighting, add work lights to front and rear, locate my air leak, add or upgrade air tanks to handle running impact, and fix anything else I find along the way.
My roommate is a diesel mechanic so he is going to go over the engine and make sure things are in good shape. I knew there was a reason I let him move in.
In the past month I've spent over half what I spent on the truck on new tools. I bought a 60 gal compressor, 20 ton jack, 6 ton jack stands, impact sockets, lug/bud sockets, sand blaster, blast cabinet, plumbed the garage for air, fiances dad gave me all his air tools, brother gave me his gantry lift, and I bought of bunch of miscellaneous hand tools I needed. I even built a huge shelf to put two of my quads on so I'd have more room in the garage.
Thank goodness I have an understanding fiance who likes big trucks. She already wants me to buy a 5 ton (she wants a wrecker because she thinks it "looks mean").
By the way, this is my first big truck project. I only work weekends so I've got plenty of time for it.

Attachments

StoneMill

I'll try to keep up with pics as things progress. I'm sure there will be some down time waiting for parts here and there.
If anyone thinks of things I should look at and fix/replace while I have the deuce stripped down, please let me know. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance. This site and the members have been great so far.

Attachments

ida34

Looks good. How did you strip the frame? Looks too clean to be the needle scaler but not clean enough to be sanding.

Billy Bobbed

I wish I had a garage that big too put my truck in I hate to leave my truck outside.I had to bob my truck in the driveway.I took my truck to the scrap yard and had them use a big magnet to take my bed off.I got a whopping $40.00 for it .But I diddnt need It .It was in bad shape.

StoneMill

Everything so far was done with a $20 harbor freight needle scaler. Didn't know they had a bigger scaler until a day or so ago. This one is working pretty good so far though. I think I'll stick with it.

When I was thinking about buying my house (an 8000sq ft stone grist mill built in 1813) my dad wasn't too keen about the house until he saw the garage. When he saw the garage he said "buy it". I just wish the garage door was a little taller so I could get the deuce in without taking off the soft top.

As far as jumping in head first, that is my modus operandi. I went from living in a cookie cutter 1100sq ft townhouse to buying a 19th Century grist mill in need of major renovations. Prior to the mill I'd only helped remodel some basements and a bathroom or two. So far it's been one of the best purchases I've ever made, even though it's caused some big headaches. I'll post some pics of my bar/party room when I get a chance.

Needless to say, I'm not afraid of a challenge and I'm a fast learner.

Armada

Lookin' good so far. Keep the pictures coming. I'm the same way with a project, one thing leads to another and before you know it you have nothing left to dismantle.

StoneMill

I can't even take a break on Holidays. Got 2 hours of sleep after working 12 hours on night shift last night. Went to lunch at my parents, came home, and headed to the garage. Pulled the radiator which looked like it was filled with slimy chocolate milk instead of antifreeze. Also disconnected the slave adapter and some connections on the firewall.
Going to need new belts and hoses. They're in poor shape.

pjpiche1

I love your house and truck project! It is so nice to see and read posts about motivated people with a vision. Good luck on your ventures!

StoneMill

My roomate is away at school for his mastertech this week so I'm continuing on with needle scaling since it's annoyingly loud for other people in the garage. Almost got done with the front drivers side. No exciting pics to post. Pulling the cab will have to wait until next week. Gotta get out for deer season this week too.

Since I need to pull the tranny to replace the clutch, and the cab will be off, what does everyone think about pulling the motor? I figure I'm this far so is it worth it to take the extra time and get the motor out of the way so I can clean up everything and paint? How is the best way to pull the motor with tranny detached? What's it weigh? Will a regular engine hoist handle it? Any advice appreciated. Will keep the topic up to date with pics when I get to something people would want to see.:wink:

ctmustang

I just finished my frame off resto. I didnt pull engine though it was a fresh rebuild when I picked it up at GL in aug. What a job. I think it was worth all the time sandblasting scraping replacing all axle seals shoes bearings wheel cyls-tranny and transfer seals and all the other stuff. But now I can stand in the garage and think man it turned out beautiful. Well worth the effort. Keep up and goodluck.
C.T.:-D

littlebob

Lookin good. I'm not as dedicated as you seem to be and get interupted by family time. Hope you are able to knock it out quicker than I've been able to do.
Good Luck!

StoneMill

Lucky for me I have a lot of free time. I work a "Baylor" schedule as a registered nurse. I work two 12 hour shifts per week (7p-7a) and get paid the equivalent of full time with part time benefits. It sucks to work every Friday and Saturday night with only 3 weekends off per year, but my fiance does the same thing (opposite hours 7a-7p) so it works out. If I worked a regular schedule I probably wouldn't have even bought the deuce since I am in process of restoring my house, an 1813 stone grist mill. My projects keep me busy.:wink::wink:

Yohan

Stonemill, I was gonna ask if I could get a weekend job like yours!

I'm just asking, but shoulen't there be some cribbing under the frame or a hoist backing up the jack stands in case something struck or bumped it hard enough to move it off the stands? I'd hate to see you or anyone else get hurt or killed. Maybe I'm being overly cautious. :?:

Anyway, Godspeed on your project! :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks