• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st M35A2 coming home in a week

AvrgJoe

I have had the itch for one on these beast for about a year, about 6 months ago I started looking at them to see what was out there. In the last month I have probably looked at 6-8 of them. I have found one about 500 miles away that I believe to be the one that will come home with me next Saturday.

The only Issue I have with this particular one is that it has been setting for about 4 years, It has been driven (per the owner) 6-8 times in the last 4 years but all very shot trips.... like just a mile or 2 at a time. I do know that it has been stored inside a heated and cooled shop this whole time so I am hoping that in its self will have cut down on the possible condensation build up inside the motor. My plans are to change the oil and filters and other pertinent fluids asap when I get it home.

Does any of you guys that are way more familiar with these trucks than myself have any words of wisdom or cautionary advice for me concerning its lack of activity in the past 4 years?

Thanks in advance for any help!,
Joe

FloridaAKM

If you are going to drive it home, you need to check all the fluid levels, the fuel tank for anything other than diesel fuel, the tires condition, brakes, hoses, belts etc. Taking tools, spare filters, lubricants, water & a cell phone is a must. 500 miles is a long way for a truck that has been sitting...even if it was stored inside. A chase vehicle is a great idea in case of problems if you can swing it.

I have probably forgotten a lot of items, but there will be the experts here shortly to add them in. Is a transport company out of your realm? Working on the truck of your dreams in the driveway is not a life threatening deal, unlike working on the truck on the side of the highway or even worse... interstate.

I drove a M35A2C home 430 miles after purchasing it, but it had been gone over by the owner who bought it @ an GL auction a few months before. Now I sometimes wonder about my sanity for pulling such an endeavour alone!

AvrgJoe

I will trailer it home the 500 miles, was going to drive it and thank God I had a buddy offer up his truck and trailer. I think that will be a lot better than driving it that far.

-Current owner says it has had only diesel since the referb 4 years ago.
-All the tires are really good, basically like new.

FloridaAKM

You are better prepared than I was in you recovery efforts. Thank your buddy & offer him a big steak dinner on top of whatever it costs to trailer it home. A lot of guys have done both the driving & trailering home of their MVs, but none of them blew a tire, a radiator hose, a motor or a wheel bearing on a trailer.

Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy & may all your experiances all be positive. Post some pictures of your new MV & keep us informed of your progress.

dmetalmiki

Sounds like a really good aquisition, So good luck with the experience with it after you get back home all safe and sound. Enjoy the trip.

AvrgJoe

I just did a search on the forum here, I was unable to see the info I am looking for. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to decipher the bumper markings on the truck I am buying? All the search results was everyone telling another member what his markings was. I am wondering if there is a reference so I can decipher them myself?

AvrgJoe

Riveted Triangular tag?

Wondering if anyone could tell me what this tag is for, I have been told that the M35A2 was redone in Utah in 1990 by the military its self and then a private company did an overhaul in 2009. Curious if this tag validates these statements any or if it has anything to do with that at all?

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wondering if anyone could tell me what this tag is for, I have been told that the M35A2 was redone in Utah in 1990 by the military its self and then a private company did an overhaul in 2009. Curious if this tag validates these statements any or if it has anything to do with that at all?
That is the MWO tag showing the truck has the seat belt upgrade.

AvrgJoe

I wondered about that but it didn't say MWO on it so I thought it might have been something to do with the rebuild. Thanks for the explanation.

Please be patient, I am totally new to anything MV related, I am sure I will have lots of newbie question during my learning curve.

Thanks,
Joe

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If a vehicle has really had a full blown "rebuild"* there will be a tag something like this on it somewhere:

20140708_192052.jpg

*There are a lot of people who either erroneously believe or have an ulterior motive to proclaim; that their trucks have been "depot" rebuilt and a lot of times with nothing more to show for it than a truck with a "new" in 1987-1989 engine.

Unless they have documentation (i.e. paperwork) or some data tags (lie what I posted), I'd take it with a wheelbarrow of salt.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does any of you guys that are way more familiar with these trucks than myself have any words of wisdom or cautionary advice for me concerning its lack of activity in the past 4 years?
After you've driven it, you'll know what works (i.e. gauges, lights, broken glass, etc.

After that, a good maintenance program with the following actions (but not limited to) will get you on your way.

Oil change with new oil filters
Fuel filter change
Remove drum/hubs and inspect brake shoes and wheel cylinders, clean and repack bearings, adjust brake shoes.
Grease service (all zerks)
Inspect parking brake assy.
Inspect brake hoses for dry rot, hard (steel) brake lines for corrosion, leaks, etc.
Inspect all hoses and belts.

Once you've done that, you're ready to load up all your gear and come to the Ga Rally next month! It's a short drive for you and you'll meet literally hundreds of deuceophiles.

AvrgJoe

selling prices... some are sooo high?

I know there are a lot of guys here that have had multiple M35A2 trucks, guys that buy and sell them with some regularity. I have been perusing the classifides and ebay and some of the other sites looking at trucks. (I think I am trying to justify the $ spent) I am feeling better by the minute.... are these $12,000 - $15,000 and even more for some price tags asking prices or are they really selling for this?

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Some do. Even the low priced trucks are climbing in price rapidly though. I've seen roughly an average $2000 increase across the board on deuces in just the past year.

AvrgJoe

Some do. Even the low priced trucks are climbing in price rapidly though. I've seen roughly an average $2000 increase across the board on deuces in just the past year.
Wow!, with that said, looking at you laundry list of vehicles, you are setting on a small fourtune. Sounds like some good investments!

AvrgJoe

Best laid plans....... FAIL!

Well, all of my excitement was for nothing. I was supposed to be on the road headed North at this very moment. As of yesterday about 8am everything fell apart. My buddy with the truck and trailer that has been scheduled for two weeks, unexpectedly had to fly to Chicago for work. I contacted the seller and explained to him the situation, he seemed very understanding and assured me he knew I wanted it and to just let him know when I could come, it wasn't going anywhere. As it sets right now I am hoping we can make the trip later this next week. I am also looking at and entertaining the idea of listing the shipment on U-Ship to see what that would cost me? I feel like I need to be looking at ther options in case things fall thru again.

If any one has any other suggestions. ....

Last edited:

XchaosX

I've had good luck with uship. I also have had good luck driving the truck home myself. Check over the truck and make sure it is road ready. Be prepared to fix anything that needs to be. Have a back up plan to have truck hauled home incase of a major break down. It would be a adventure you'll never forget.