• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st MEP 803a

jqc99

@jqc99 The MOV can't be put in a plain envelope. Envelopes get compressed as they go thru mail handling machines and the part could be crushed. I've tried sending parts in envelopes and they are sometimes crushed. So parts need to be sent in a package and thus package mailing rates.
I could mail you one for $5 which is mostly mailing cost.
The MOV comes with wire lugs pre-attached to make installation a snap.

PM me if interested.
I was thinking more of a padded envelope for exactly the reason you mentioned. PM on the way. I'd rather send the money to a fellow SS member!

Edited to add: I seem to be having an issue with sending a PM. I think I haven't posted enough yet. Could you please PM me?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I was thinking more of a padded envelope for exactly the reason you mentioned. PM on the way. I'd rather send the money to a fellow SS member!

Edited to add: I seem to be having an issue with sending a PM. I think I haven't posted enough yet. Could you please PM me?
You do not have quite enough posts, to be able to use PM. But you will soon, dont worry!

billbot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Making progress with parts slowly trickling in over the past week. Still waiting on the pack of MOV's and a few more pieces to complete the planned upgrades. See pictures below.

Got the Quad fuse in today and a quick test run shows everything still working as before. I went a different route and put the mounting block on the DIN rail that holds the relays. There was just enough room to squeeze it in.

Also put a DIN rail on the side of the control box for mounting breakers and terminal blocks. Still waiting on the terminal blocks to complete wiring to the 30A and 50A outlets. Also have a 20A outlet to install.

Not a big deal for me, but I've spent a little time trying to troubleshoot the panel lights with no luck so far. They only turn on when the generator is running or just after it has been running. And today they stopped working when it was running. Then after shutting it down and restarting, they began to work again. I'm thinking there's a bad connection somewhere or a sticking relay or something of that nature but have not been able to narrow it down yet.

Another thing I want to ask about is the diode upgrade mod. Is it worthwhile? Sounds like it is to me, but I have only discovered that recently so still looking into it.

Attachments

billbot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No relays in the panel lights circuit. Just S2.
Diode mod involves tearing the VR apart and installing higher PRV diodes. A bit of a chore. Doing the MOV mod ought to protect the existing diodes.
Appreciate the info, I reviewed the wiring diagram and figured it out . Replaced the bulbs with 24v LEDs since only one bulb was functional. Also hooked up the gauge lights because they were there and I was already doing a bunch of wiring.

20230815_185448.jpg

Finished up the circuit breakers and outlets last night. Pretty happy with how it all turned out. I have not worked with these style DIN mount components before. They seemed a little time consuming but easy to work with and relatively inexpensive compared to standard breakers and boxes.

20230815_185526.jpg

Set it up with the 30 amp and 20 amp 120V outlets on Line 3 and a 50amp 240V using 1 and 3. I used a leftover piece of 6/3 Romex to get from the terminals to the control box and used 10 gauge for the 20 amp. Had some wire loom laying around and figured I might as well put that on.

20230815_185702.jpg

20230815_185617.jpg

My Fluke multimeter did not measure Hz so I got a cheapy one today to measure Hz. Happy to see the Frequency gauge was right on, voltage was off but easily adjusted. Plugged in the 5th wheel 30 amp cord and tested out the Fridge, AC, TV, etc in there. Everything worked fine.

20230815_185842.jpg

billbot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update on progress with this 803a - MOV installed over the weekend.

Also did some testing on a stove I picked up very cheap . With the oven door open and burners maxed out it was pulling 12.3kw and generator holding steady. 2 box fans blowing on the stove to help from overheating. Ran it for a couple hours just fine, then I heard the engine shut down and went out to check.

There were no error lights on, so I was figuring fuel issue. Checked output at the fuel pump and had nothing. Pulled the fuel pickup tonight and found it plugged up.
20230828_162655.jpg

In case you are wondering how I got that out, I used a gear wrench with a bit adapter and ground down Phillips bit. I've used this same wrench for getting into tight places before, this is the first time I've had to grind down a bit.
20230828_162911.jpg

Drained the fuel and didn't find anything else other than the drain tube was plugged up and a similar piece of slime eventually came out. Checked inside the tank with a scope, couldn't find anything else so I put it back together and changed the fuel filters. They had some gunk as well. These were the original filters, I never changed them because I figured something like this would happen and didn't want to change them twice.

Ran it briefly after changing the filters and everything seemed fine. Actually the Hz gauge was reading .5-1Hz higher. Spilled diesel fuel inside the generator pretty good and wiped up what I could followed up with engine degreaser and the hose. I'll let it dry out and should be able to test it again soon.

billbot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok got the testing done tonight - 3hrs at or above 12.3kw

Started out running a little rough and smokey. Thought about shutting it off but wanted to give it a chance to warm up and hopefully clear up while I drove down the street to get enough diesel to fill the tank. By the time I got back it was running smoothly with no smoke. Big relief. Maybe air working it's way out, not sure but it sounded great.

Pretty happy with the testing, seems the major bugs are worked out. I have a few more things planned but some other projects I have to get done first.

Thanks again to everyone on SS for your contributions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks