• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st MV purchase. Need advice for which truck fits my needs 5 ton or deuce

Ddmk18

First I would like to start off by saying hi to everyone. I am new on here but have been reading and learning for months I just bought an m105a3 trailer waiting for the owner to get title so I can pick it up. So my question is I am looking for a new toy to pull my boat with I have a 28.5ft scarab that weights in at around 8000 lbs on trailer. I currently pull it with a 2001 dodge ram 3500 cummins its turned up some around 320 hp and 700ft lbs. I tow 1 steep long grade mountain with I feel that even that truck struggles with so I dont want to go backwards much if any unless I have to. My ideal trucks are either a m931a2 and make a custom short bed for it not really needing the length of a m923 or the second truck would be an m35a3 but I am not liking top speed of 48-50 I know its not a race buit I am just think that will really struggle on the hills. So please any wisdom you have would be greatly appreciated thank you.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
An M931 has a very stiff suspension and pulling 8000 pounds will not put enough weight on the rear to make a lot of difference. Since you said there will be a bed on the truck I assume you are using a bumper pull trailer. It will be a very rough ride. You will also need to modify the brake system so the air brakes will actuate the electric brakes on the trailer. The M931 is a tactical vehicle and will not be much faster than a deuce.

Ddmk18

I forgot to mention that the trailer has surge brakes so that won't be an issue but I never thought about the lack of weight over the rear axles. I don't know how much the bed would help but I am a mechanic so changing the leaf pack some to reduce the load capacity and soften the ride is not a problem. Also my fiancée lives on a farm that I will be moving to so I though the truck would come in handy going into the rough parts of the fields and up into the woods to get fire wood. My dodge even though 4x4 I would never think of trying to go up some of the roads on the mountain. Thanks for the info this is exactly the info I am looking for the things I forgot to factor in and the work that will be involved.

jdknech

I would think the dodge is better for the job of boat pulling.. A 5 ton has tons of "cool factor" but I think you will get tired of trying to maneuver the 5 ton at the boat ramp pretty quick.. I have a m932A1 and it is a beast! But I don't think I would choose to pull a boat for the fun of it.. My advice- keep the dodge, and get a 5 ton to play with.. There going pretty cheap.

Tornadogt

The bed did help a bit with the stiff ride.... it was pretty solid as a bob tailed tractor... with the deuce bed there is plenty of room under it to add extra storage/fuel/water tanks... the added weight is just a bonus for a more comfortable ride..... Changing the seats out will be the VERY best thing to do as far as comfort...

Ddmk18

Ok thanks. I did plan on putting in a set or air ride seats in which ever truck I get. I have sat in a deuce and moved it around the parking lot but yeah seats aren't ment for comfort. My friends international dump has nice air rides in it and rides nice so I was thinking that would be a good upgrade.

Ddmk18

I am curious to the pulling power between the deuce and a 5 ton if anyone has towed with both that would be great to know your thoughts.

jdknech

To me that is like comparing a f350 to a Mack truck.. The 350 is good for hauling cars and normal non-commercial sized trailers, where as the Mack... Well you get the picture.. Think of the deuce as a f350 with no power steering, and the 5ton as the Mack.., I pull a 30k pound trailer with my m932, and it still bounces like its not really loaded.. And 15k (ish) of that is on the truck I think for what your wanting.. A dodge would be the best choice, with a deuce coming in at a close second.. It's easier to maneuver, and acts like a sports car in comparison to the 5 ton.. (To me anyways) plus the parts are lighter, and "cheaper"

ichudov

I would get a basic M923 truck, it will be great for a cool factor next to your Scarab boat, it has a bed already, should have no problems pulling the boat out of water etc. Power steering, ABS, auto transmission make it easy to drive. Do not get a semi tractor.

SteveKuhn

Welcome to the posting world of SS. These guys are all giving great perspectives. I'm trying to figger out where one would put a 28' boat out there and which mountain you're climbing. Cresson used to be a lot worse, the boat would take up half of Prince Gallitzen, so I'm guessing it ain't Wopsy, Mill Run, or Red Hill. Canoe Creek? Black Moshannon? nah.. East down to the river around Harrisburg and I don't remember any really steep stretches that a-ways. Nevermind. I'm just outa touch and having some fond memories.

Even with all of the area's highway improvements in the past 30 years I don't see a single truck solution that fits all the jobs. I'd still vote for either a modern 5 ton or a civilian truck to pull the boat trailer at highway speeds and a separate one for the farm and woods-ing. Howevah . . . I'm picturing the hills and the 9xx series is awfully tall and long for some of the dirt roads we used to drive into the hills from the farms. Take a look at the Rausch Creek threads and see what they have to say about the bigger trucks navigating there, specially hauling a 105. About the biggest I'd want to go is the M35, and then it would be an A2 for simplicity, not an A3. And forget hammering along up 'n down the hills even at 45 if you have a load on with the M35. Ain't gonna happen back there. And then there's the single circuit brake wild card.

FWIW, surge brake or not, I wouldn't want that M105 really filled up with wood pushing even a good sized civilian dually down one of the mountain road trails we used to explore. Just too much mass if things go awry. I'd be using the manual trans in the Deuce and feathering the brakes.

Steve,

...who hails from Altoona, wandered all over the hills, worked in Duncansville, and remembers Cresson mountain when the last third was 2nd gear with 3 on the tree.

Ddmk18

Thanks Steve. I go to Raystown lake and the mountain that I cross with the boat is Fredericksburg mountain coming out of martinsburg. It's fairly steep and long pull with no run at it coming back from the lake.

SteveKuhn

How could I have forgotten Raystown? . . . Terrible to be away so long. They've really upped the size of boats they allow in the lakes over the years. I know (used to know???) the stretch you're talking about. I had relatives that lived in Martinsburg where we used to visit. I think it's gonna be tough finding a single truck that will do it all, esp. keeping the higher speeds. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Best,

Steve

tobyS

My $02. Buy a 923, bob it and shorten the bed one (vertical) section. Choose your springs to suit your loading or perhaps (as I'm considering) air bag. You won't need or like the stiffness of a tractor and why not get the bed on the truck already. Go for the 5 ton because of the automatic...shifting or clutching on a ramp gives sensory over-load...unless you can afford a 2 1/2 ton with the automatic...at about twice the price or more of a 5 ton.

Ddmk18

I dont really want a bobbed truck i could get the 923 and shorten the bed on it some but I was really liking the little bit shorter wheel base of the tractor. Do you knw if they use the same rear springs as the 923 or are they stiffer being a tractor. Thanks for all the input so far. As far as a deuce goes yes it would be an auto the A3 version but I know from reading on here they only max out at about 48-50 mph. I was looking to get atleast 55 and I would hate to be running 50mph at max rpm the whole time. I would mind 50 as a cruise speed but hate to have it turning that many rpm for no reason.

tobyS

I have 3 923's and can't see running around with the extra axle when not needed. In fact I want front lockouts...which are not available for the 5-ton (so I'm looking at making some). Bobbing it brings it back to about the same length as a tractor, but eliminates over a ton of weight and gives easier turns. Do you need a 6x6 when a heavy 4x4 will work? The advantage of a 5 ton is the automatic in my opinion. Google "bobbed 923" and go to images and see what I mean. The spring pack does appear to be a bit heavier on the tractors, but I have not counted the leaves and don't have one to do the comparison. An A2 would be my choice for a better highway speed, but you will probably pay for it and an A1 is still way cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks