• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st oil change

keithc

I changed my oil today. The only gasket I saw to replace was the one at the base of the filter housing. Cleaned cannisters and housing real well and did not twist the cannister when tightening the top nut. I have not fired her up yet. I got scared when reading on SS about starting up after oil change. Some say to turn engine over a few times with the throttle shut off. Any suggestions? I will try to change the fuel filters tomorrow.

keithc

No, this is on the deuce. Forgot to specify. Three different gaskets were included in the box. I am sure I got the base gasket right. I did not have a gasket to fit on the bolt head so I just re-used the old one. There was one gasket that would fit around the entire cannister with 2" of slack and one small gasket that would not even fit over the bolt.

DieselBob

When I did my oil change I just started the engine with no extra cranking. Let it idle for several minutes and check the filter cans several times for leaks.

Flyingvan911

The few cranks with the fuel off is just to check for hydrolock in the cylinders. A few cranks does nothing to move oil. Put the hood up and secure it with the hooks. Start the engine and make sure pressure comes up on the gauge. Then get out and check for oil leaking out of the filter housings.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did all that and when I started her up, I immediately felt like Jed Clampet. Oil everywhere. I did not let the cannister move at all during install. Tried it again and checked the cannisters closely. No burrs or dents and put new NAPA gaskets on. Second time was a very slight leak.

After two attempts and about 7 rolls of paper towels I call Jatonka and ordered spin-ons. Call me easy!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks