• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st things to do, to my M1009

twa@ezdn.net

Hi, I am a new owner of a M1009. It is in above average condition. No
problems in my first two weeks of driving every day. I have been pouring thru this site and it is great.
My plans are to put it in the shop and replace and up grade the fuel system. (pumps, filter. price around $2,500.00) Service the engine and
tranny.
The old saying is if it isn't not broke don't fix it. But I purchased this truck with the funds in place and the goal of making it a reliable truck.
I plan to do the syspenssion and electrical work myself. I hope I still enjoy that type of work after this project! Is this price in tha ballpark and do you think I shoud focus somewere else firt. Thanks

197thhhc

Welcome to the site.
i think fresh fluids are very important. As are some upgrades to the glowplug system. You can search for posts on this. But the most important part to me would be going through the brake system. Fresh fliud, New rubber hoses, and wheel cylinders and calipers unless you know how old they are, and shoes and pads. It doesnt matter how well it runs if you cant stop it. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the truck.

twa@ezdn.net

I changed the eng. oil at purchase the rest will follow soon. Good point on the brake system I have moved that list closer to the top. The plugs will be upgraded at twisted diesel with the fuel system. Thanks for the help

Barrman

Let me put it this way. For $2500, I could drive the 1800 miles or so to your place, trailer the truck back to my place, replace your IP with a new one, put on a spin-on fuel filter, replace all your injection tips, replace all your fuel lines, replace your lift pump, drop the tank and put in a new sender, trailer the truck back to your place and probably still make a profit.

Actually, send me $2500 and in 3 weeks I will drive up there, spend a day at your place doing all the stuff listed above and then drive home again.

$500 is the price around every Stanadyne dealer around here wants to rebuild a pump.
$60 to your door for new injector tips on E-Bay
$150 at NAPA for a spin on filter and base
$30 at NAPA for all new fuel hoses and return lines
$200 glow plugs, new glow plug relay, starter relay and a new fuel pick up/gauge sender

The manuals listed under the Resource tab at the top of the page tell you how to take the entire truck apart, trouble shoot just about everything and even have pictures. I would suggest you download them, print them or have them printed. Then have one open on your lap anytime you aren't moving for the next few weeks. After that, you will be able to do the work yourself. Except for the IP rebuild. Yes, the -34 manual talks you through it. however, the last step is to flow test it. Only an IP shop has the equipment for that step.

Capt.Marion

Doghead starter relay mod... I'd also start studying the electrical system pretty heavily so you are prepared when it starts to have exceptionally weird electrical issues.

twa@ezdn.net

I had them doing some other things but slowing down and doing more my self is looking
like the thing to do.
"I do want to call it mine"

(looks like I will be on the donate tab soon)

67_C-30

Let me put it this way. For $2500, I could drive the 1800 miles or so to your place, trailer the truck back to my place, replace your IP with a new one, put on a spin-on fuel filter, replace all your injection tips, replace all your fuel lines, replace your lift pump, drop the tank and put in a new sender, trailer the truck back to your place and probably still make a profit.

Actually, send me $2500 and in 3 weeks I will drive up there, spend a day at your place doing all the stuff listed above and then drive home again.

$500 is the price around every Stanadyne dealer around here wants to rebuild a pump.
$60 to your door for new injector tips on E-Bay
$150 at NAPA for a spin on filter and base
$30 at NAPA for all new fuel hoses and return lines
$200 glow plugs, new glow plug relay, starter relay and a new fuel pick up/gauge sender

The manuals listed under the Resource tab at the top of the page tell you how to take the entire truck apart, trouble shoot just about everything and even have pictures. I would suggest you download them, print them or have them printed. Then have one open on your lap anytime you aren't moving for the next few weeks. After that, you will be able to do the work yourself. Except for the IP rebuild. Yes, the -34 manual talks you through it. however, the last step is to flow test it. Only an IP shop has the equipment for that step.

I agree, $2500 is WAY too much. If the truck is running good, I'd drive it. I'd definitely change all rubber lines, maybe the filter, and maybe the lift pump if you just want to, but I would not touch the IP if it is running good. If you want a little more power or if want to add a turbo later, you can turn up yourself IP very easily. A friend of mine bought a surplus M1008 over 5 years ago, and 50,000 miles later he still hasn't had to touch the IP. I'd had civilian 6.2 trucks with over 150,000 miles on the factory IP. JMO.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
put that money in a savings account and fix / repair whats need'ed i had mine for 2 years now and all i need'ed to replace is rubber thats all ... now i got a pisky injector going out .....:)P

Friar Mycgyver

Definitely think about changing the harmonic balancer. I am rebuilding the motor in mine as we speak because the balancer ripped the key way right off the the end of the crankshaft 80 bucks and a couple of hours under the hood versus 500 bucks and about 60 hours.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks