• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st time owner joy to sadness. Coolant in oil

davykeith

4802_1513177301196 (1).jpeg4803_1513177305908.jpegreceived_10215196645937656.jpgHummer.jpg
This past Monday, I became the owner of a 1993 M998A1. I bought it from a guy who carefully selected one from Govplanet with oil analysis, great tires, body. It had an overhaul in 2011. The engine is very strong. So I'm sporting it around town and such having a blast. Trouble brewing.

Got stuck in some mud being stupid. I ran it pretty hard and dug my way out. I was laughing hilariously and amazed as I've never been stuck that bad and got out without a winch or pull. I was so proud and smiled all the way home. Parked it. Got up the next AM and warmed my baby up. Wife comes inside and says, "ahh you know the hummer you just bought?"....me, "yeah?" "Well it's leaking something all over the ground." "What!" I bolt outside and see a river of alien green blood. NNNNNNooooooooooooo!!!!

Ok, I'll fast forward. Identified where I believe the leak is coming from and a buddy and I are tearing down to replace the water pump. Looks like it's coming from seep hole. We unbolt the oil cooler and some gray sludge that looks like anti seize dribbles out. We both look up at each other with a look of uneasiness.

I've either blown a head gasket or cracked a head. Please don't kick me while I'm down. I ran her on the interstate at 70+ MPH. Yes I have a three speed. I did that when I first bought it Monday to put her through the paces. Little did I know that you can't do that! My buddy did it in his but he has a 4 speed. Perhaps this is where I damaged it or when I got stuck and ran her hard.

Fan never came on on the way back from being stuck. Never ran hot. It cranked and ran perfectly. Only a slight tinge of grey in the oil. Maybe my engine is OK?

I'm not mechanic but I've tossed and turned trying to figure out what to do. Hire someone to come and fix this or try it myself. I've had over 30 motorcycles and pulled motors and completed complex tasks such as valve adjustment on Ducati's. I have no doubt I can figure it out but at what cost, hours, days, months of hit and miss?

I'm so bummed. So where do I go next? Drain the oil? Find the technical manual on removing the heads to inspect? Please help a brother out.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Your first task should have been to drain the earl and see what's going on. You sound panicked. Don't.
2. Then if then else or ... coolant in oil? Yes, a few places where that might be coming from.
3. Search using advanced thread search. There are more than a few places that discuss coolant in oil...
4. Look at TMs to see if you are up to doing the work yourself. The upside is that you are not far from many folks who can do the work if you can't. In fact, i'd love to be in your shoes in that regard.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First pull the dip stick and see what color the oil is. What temp did you run max? If coolant is coming from the weep hole you may be ok. Go step by step before thinking of the worst. The most I ever do is 65 on the speedo and I usually keep her at 60. Don't panic yet.

Mark

Dock Rocker

With a 70mph trip down the interstate you are lucky you don’t have a rod hanging out of the side of the block.

I would gather the parts you took off together and take it to a shop (on a trailer) and let them diagnose it. Don’t change the oil or change anything that could throw them off. They can do a pressure test to rule out the head gaskets. Once that is sorted out you can figure out what to do next.

Although the hmmwv is a unique vehicle the 6.2 diesel is not. There are a few shops around the pinebelt I would trust with it.

Worst case if you haven’t damaged the bottom end you either deck the factory heads or grab anew set and slap them on with new gaskets. Take the opportunity to get the rest of the truck PM’d and The Who cooking system cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

"Only a slight tinge of grey in the oil"? But above that, you said it looked like anti-seize in the oil cooler. Sounds like oil path is now plugged up somewhere.
Internal seal is bad on your pump.

papakb

Welcome to the skinned knuckles, blood donor club!

Even with the engine partially disassembled you can run a compression test on the engine to see if there are problems there. Harbor Freight has a reasonably priced diesel compression test kit that won't break the bank and works well.

As a new owner there are a couple of things I'd strongly recommend:

Get a full set of manuals that are applicable to your truck. Hardcopy or downloaded they're invaluable. There are different generations of these trucks so view the manual online first to make sure it's correct for your vehicle.

Change out all belts, hoses, and fluids. Flush the cooling system. Get on a creeper and spend a couple hours under your truck. Look at everything. Brakes, drivelines, bolts, clamps, seals, electrical connections. Even things you'd never expect to have problems with will come back to bite you at the wrong time. Usually when your in the middle of the creek! The more you correct here the less you'll have to correct in the field.

The troubleshooting flow charts in the -20 manuals cover about 90% of the questions I see on the internet. Get familiar with them, they're your friend.

Add the supplemental grounding system. It preemptively solves most of the nuisance electrical problems that show up in the HMMWVs.

Learn to search the internet when you have questions. 99.9% of your problems are covered somewhere.

Then go have fun with your truck but a word of caution. 3 speeds like to run around 55-60 at the max. Remember AM General didn't build rice rockets.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've got a 6.5 turbo GEP sitting in the can in memphis. $2700 delivered.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

davykeith

Avatar uploaded to reflect the way I know you guys must feel after you read this.

I was hoping I could avoid the answer and I debated on deleting the thread. My complete stupidity. When it was leaking coolant, I added 1.5 gallon's of distilled water to what I thought was the radiator but unfortunately ended up being the oil filler cap. Yeah really. In my defense, it is in front of the radiator and I saw what I assumed was a big hose from the reservoir to the "radiator cap." Sigh...good news is I didn't run it but a few seconds. When I was draining my oil yesterday, I came to the realization of what I had done as soon as I started looking for the oil filler cap. The realization made me feel like a complete and total moron that I was. I'd like to say I was drunk when I did this but I was stone cold sober.

Flushed the motor three times with engine flush, diesel (no I didn't crank it on diesel but yeah you probably should ask, ha), changed filters out each time. Ran it for about a minute got it up to operating temp then flushed.

Any suggestions on getting residual water out?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merged your two threads on the same issue.

Gonna edit your title too.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best way to remove the left over water is to drive it. The engine will get hot enough to vaporize the water. Then It will be pulled through the PCV valve and sucked through the intake. A good ten miles should do the trick.

Action

So, was the water pump bad? the one that was pouring coolant out of the weep hole? And what made you want to check the oil when you saw coolant all over the driveway?

tage

So, was the water pump bad? the one that was pouring coolant out of the weep hole? And what made you want to check the oil when you saw coolant all over the driveway?

my guess is hot overfilled coolant venting from the overflow.

Avatar uploaded to reflect the way I know you guys must feel after you read this.

I was hoping I could avoid the answer and I debated on deleting the thread. My complete stupidity. When it was leaking coolant, I added 1.5 gallon's of distilled water to what I thought was the radiator but unfortunately ended up being the oil filler cap. Yeah really. In my defense, it is in front of the radiator and I saw what I assumed was a big hose from the reservoir to the "radiator cap." Sigh...good news is I didn't run it but a few seconds. When I was draining my oil yesterday, I came to the realization of what I had done as soon as I started looking for the oil filler cap. The realization made me feel like a complete and total moron that I was. I'd like to say I was drunk when I did this but I was stone cold sober.

Flushed the motor three times with engine flush, diesel (no I didn't crank it on diesel but yeah you probably should ask, ha), changed filters out each time. Ran it for about a minute got it up to operating temp then flushed.

Any suggestions on getting residual water out?

might want to considering selling your truck, and getting something more... should I say; user friendly?

As for the residual water. Get as much of it out of the pan as you can and drive the truck. You can use a hydrophilic solution, but I wouldn't. just flush the pan with clean oil, rinse, repeat.

davykeith

Water pump was bad. There was a steady leak out of the seep hole. When I took the belts off, there was a lot of movement back and forth. Pump is the source of the leak. I have no intentions of getting something more "user friendly" as you say. Just because I made a mistake doesn't mean I'm not sold on my H1.

Thanks for the help.