• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 rockwell front end wobble

coolrides

I'm having a problem with my steering axle (rockwell 2.5). the front end wobbles while driving down any road smooth or rough.
I jacked up the front of the truck and used a 6' pry bar to lift each tire looking for loose bearings what I found was a huge amount of play coming from the king pins. I bought the axle used and checked it out before installing it. the king pin bushings needed to be replaced and the king pins had a little wear (not enough to concern me at the time). after lees than 50 miles we are having all kinds of problems. did I miss something? was I supposed to shim the bushings? if the king pins are worn to the piont of needing to be replaced what can I do?
any help is appreciated.

jwaller

worn king pins means custom bushings to fit or a new housing. you should remove the tires and check the bushing play by hand and with a bar to see if that is where it's moving. if so and it's with new bushings then you have a big problem.

the bushings have no shims they are press fit into the adaptors and slide over the king pins when installing the knuckle or they can be done 1 at a time while it's all together.

coolrides

I'll pull the tires and check the play later this week, I'm pretty sure it's the king pins,
When we got the used front axle I checked the bushings and pins the pins showed about .002 wear I felt like we could changed the bushings and be OK. looks like I was wrong, I don't know where to buy a new housing (and can't really afford a housing right now anyway) so I think I'll have a set of bushings custom made for the front end.

coolrides

I disassembled the knuckles and found the king pins were worn well past the tolerance. I have a reconditioned axle housing on order with new bushings, wish I had paid closer attention to the king pins the first time.
(live and learn)
Thanks for the help.