• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 T Rockwell dimensions

ClassA6x6

Newbie here . . .

Can someone please point me to where I can get the ff info:

To start with, for front axle:

1. Distance from top of 3rd member to centerline of axle
2. Distance of the Center of spring pads
3. Wms-wms

Is there a Rockwell axle bible article here in the forums?

Thanks.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. 4.01" (top of cover plate to CL; add .32" for bolt heads)
2. 31.75" (C-C, spring center bolts)
3. 78.9" (-> rear axle, hubs flipped)

Is there a Rockwell axle bible article here in the forums?
Not that I know...

Edit: sorry for my mistakes... first line above is top of cover plate to CL of driveshaft. DS-CL to axle-CL is exactly 6.75".

3rd line is for rear axle, with the hubs flipped. Front axle is 79.4", wms-wms.

G.

Last edited:

ClassA6x6

So from this link and the previous reply:

9.5 inches chunk height is for the rear axle
4.33 inches chunk height for the front axle (this is much less than I thought previously)

Just asking for confirmation.

Thanks

Edit: ok I think I get it, after looking at some pics. The 4.33 is the height from the center of the driveshaft, not the axle tube. So the 9.5 height is for both front and rear, and it's from the top of the axle tube.

Last edited:

ClassA6x6

So, next question: what's the offset of the center of driveshaft input to the center of the axle/housing?

I assume the housing is at center of axle tube and the offset is to the driver side.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, next question: what's the offset of the center of driveshaft input to the center of the axle/housing?

I assume the housing is at center of axle tube and the offset is to the driver side.
The referred offset - center of 3rd member to center of input shaft - is 5.3", to the passenger side. The diff. housings are centered on the rear axles, only. (axle shafts are identical on both sides)

The front axle has the differential off-center, also to the pass. side, by 3.5". (difference in lenght of inner axle shafts is 7.0")

Should be correct info, this time...

G.

ClassA6x6

Ok, with the new info, let me restate my previous questions (because Im now confused). I wish I woud be looking at a diagram/photo of the axle. Anyway . . .

So,
1. If the FRONT housing center is offset 3.5 inches to the passenger side, And the input driveshaft is 5.3 inches (to the driverside) FROM the center of the housing, THEN the driveshaft is offset (5.3 - 3.5) = 1.8 inches from the CENTERline of the vehicle. Is this correct?

2. if the REAR housing center is at the midpoint of the axle tube, and the input driveshaft is 5.3 inches ( to the DRiVER side) from the center of the housing, THEN the driveshaft is also offset 5.3 inches from the centerline of the vehicle. Is this correct?

3. In summary: front has a 1.8 inch net offset to driver side, rear has 5.3 offset to driver side, all measured to the centerline of the vehicle. Am I following so far?

4. Transfer case question: what's the offset of the input versus output? For the driveshafts to be parallel to the centerline of the vehicle, I would expect the offset to be (5.3 - 1.8 ) = 3.5 inches. Is this correct?

Why am I asking all these questions? I am exploring the possibility ofconverting my 26 ft 4x4 motorhome to 6x6, how Rockwells would fit under the vehicle.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, very confused... indeed!:)

I said both offsets are to the passenger side!
So at front you got the DS displaced 3.5" + 5.3" = 8.8", from the center of vehicle, to the RIGHT side of vehicle.
At the rear the DS centerline runs 5.3", from vehicle CL to the RIGHT, passenger side.

Front and rear output shafts of the T-Case are aligned, same axis.

Hope its clearer now.

G.

trukhead

I double dog dare you to put rockwells under your motor home! why not stretch a duece frame and set the body on the frame!:grd:

ClassA6x6

Yes, very confused... indeed!:)

I said both offsets are to the passenger side!
So at front you got the DS displaced 3.5" + 5.3" = 8.8", from the center of vehicle, to the RIGHT side of vehicle.
At the rear the DS centerline runs 5.3", from vehicle CL to the RIGHT, passenger side.

Front and rear output shafts of the T-Case are aligned, same axis.

Hope its clearer now.

G.
Now it's clear. But now I'm afraid my Cummins/47RH/NP241 will not like the passenger side offset

ClassA6x6

I double dog dare you to put rockwells under your motor home! why not stretch a duece frame and set the body on the frame!:grd:
The Rockwell option is just one option for the 6x6 conversion feasibility study. I thought I had enough clearance under the Cummins with flipped oil sump. But adding the passenger-side issue to the equation is over the edge. Now, I think the "2 Dana 70s at the rear and a flipped NP205" option is more practical.

Last edited:

ClassA6x6

No need to stretch the deuce frame, my motorhome is only 26 feet. Another option is to put the entire class A motorhome body on an M135 frame, and transplant the cummins and entire drivetrain into the chassis. One issue still to be resolved would be gear ratio.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks