• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 vs 5 ton

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am supposed to go look at some deuces over the weekend, some are 2.5 and some are 5 ton trucks. If the money is not that different, any reason to get a 2.5 when I can get a 5 ton?
Thanks
Dennis

Last edited:

Lee Alessi

13,000 vs 23,000 empty weight. so i guess the 5 ton would be a nice ride on rural bridges marked 12 tons or less.
also it can be an issue on neighborhood roads and driveways due to the weight. other than that, i have no idea

Monster Man

Stretch said:
I am supposed to go look at some deuces over the weekend, some are 2.5 and some are 5 ton trucks. If the money is not that different, any reason to get a 2.5 when I can get a 5 ton?
Thanks
Dennis
WELLL..... actually only 2.5 tons are deuce and a halfs [^] 5 tons are a whole new beast- nice trucks, but generally considerably more expensive, heavier (but also with more power and power steering), and you will need a commercial driver's license to drive it because of the gross vehicle weight rating. That's the #1 deterrent. If you catch a smoking deal the CDL may be worth the hassle though.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I always wanted a CDL! The one on ebay I may still get, but this guy is closer, and cheaper, need to get down there and take a look at them. Sounds like I will end up with a 2.5, the 5 ton weighs too much for me. If and when I look at the trucks I will tell you what he has, says he has 2 wreckers, couple of dumps, and cargo truck. He is not a dealer, just wanting to get rid of some of them. Not sure of condition of the trucks, says some need some work.
Dennis

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience is that the deuces, especially when turned up, are like a spritely pickup when compared to the five tonners. They are more of a serious work truck. I am lucky enough to be able to plate the five tonners as farm trucks, so no CDL BS. Yes, no power steering in the deuce, but kits are available. If you have driven the old GMC M135 series trucks then drive the M35 series deuces, you will think the steering in the M35 series is close to power assist! To own a truck to have fun with, I would recommend the deuce.

lacoda56

5 tonners are awesome trucks, but for the average guy without a CDL, a deuce seems to be a more practical choice. Easier to get around, less damage to driveways, etc. Course, it's kinda cool to have one or more of each!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info guys. He had a overwidth 5 tonner, and some standard ones, they were too big for me. I go today to pick up a 2.5 from roger in london, ohio. When I get time I will list some pics and prices of what I found in Cincinatti(bad speller :confused: ) in the for sale forum.
Dennis

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks