• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5ton bobed rear suspension help

Foreverunstopable

I have the Tulsa C-6500, it started its as an AWD 6x6 but has since been butchered by Michigan's forestry service. I'm could use some advise on how best to make the rear suspension safe. I think the pictures speak well enough for them selves not to mention the hangers are welded on instead of bolted. Springs are 55in long 3in wide 9 leaves per side with 0 droop and 16in give or take from the spring hangers to the up-most portion of the axle housing. Does anyone know of a better setup for a single rear axle?

Attachments

chevycrew

I would move the shackle and spring hangers down. If you lower the front hanger 4" (gives 2" of lift) then lower the rear hanger 4" (2" more of lift) then flip the rear shackle (4" more of lift)

You will get 8" of lift, no spring changes then you can remove those nasty perches.

For more info on the shackle flip. It basically takes the shackle from going from the shackle hanger up to the leaf spring, and changing it, so the shackle goes down from the hanger to the leaf spring.

jeli

Since the hangers are welded I'd look at a new set of arched springs. For all the labor in swapping hangers etc it may be faster, cheaper, and safer. You will need to fab and weld on perches to the axles to bolt the springs.

FreightTrain

Banned
uhhh,Personally,I would not even climb in that contraption to move it across the yard let along on the street!YIKES!That is far and beyond shadetree rigging there!

JasonS

I would do it the same way the bobbed deuces are done. Get a set of front springs and hangars from a deuce. They mount on the bottom of the frame and can be bolted on. Then weld new spring perches onto your axles. What distance from the axle to frame is needed?

Foreverunstopable

Well after Spicer said I should start looking for some front spring setups I found these pictures.

1. I like the last 3 because they are mounted outside of the frame which is the current position of the springs. Bad part is I would need ridiculously arched springs to maintain my suspension height and with the reinforced frame I would have to cut tabs off to mount the perches. If you look closely at picture 1 you can see the steel plates added on either side. Previous configuration had a crane on it and was the explanation for the added beef. Has anyone ever seen those perches before? What are they off of?

2. The 2nd picture is off a deuce front I believe. The springs are hung from the bottom of the axle and would work great but I still have to cut which I don't mind to much. I would get the extra lift and be closer to my perch. Anyone know where I can get those with spring packs and hangers? Can someone go out an measure there distance between the bottom of their frame and the top of there axle? I'd be curious to know how close I would be.

Attachments

devilman96

The first pic is of a bob job that someone did using a leaf mount set from a trailer... I advise aganst this as it makes the rear of the truck sag and sit funny...

Find a set of front springs and hangers... Lots of places have them and they run anywhere from 100-300 a set. You will end up looking like the 4th pic.

vinny-socom1

I think the M105 trailer springs are the same as the Duce spring correct?? if so I have a set of springs I'll sell you. I'm also planning on a trip up to Matts place here soon so I can pick up the spring mounts if you like or the whole set up from Matt. Just send me a pm if you need any help I'm about 2 hrs south of Matts place. Vinny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks