• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 batteries instead of 4 !

jason@snakeriver

I have a lot better luck throwing away the 4 6TL batteries and going with 2 Group 31 batteries.
2 group 31's are what is used in most of our ag tractors.
Trying to keep 4 batteries up to par is the pits. Maintaining 2 is half the chore.
Just be sure to secure the batteries properly.
I run 5 - 800 series
Any comments ? Tom @ Snake River

M1075

I run 2 group 31s in most of my 5 tons. They work just fine. I keep 4 6TLs in my wrecker, and can use it to slave if necessary.

wsucougarx

Re: RE: 2 batteries instead of 4 !

westfolk said:
I have no job. Therefore have no money. All my trucks run Walmart "cheap as I can get them" batteries. Never had an issue yet. Oh yeah, same battery is used in everything. Rather that be a 5 ton, 2 1/2 ton, dozer, minivan, pickup, whatever.....they all interchange in my parking lot.
Hmm, I like the idea. Which Walmart model batteries do you use in your deuce? I've got a recovery coming up next week and I am unsure of the battery status. I checked the truck today and someone left the battery switch on. Had to have a jump to hear the engine.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: 2 batteries instead of 4 !

My 5-ton 8x8 came from factory with a 2-pack, which the designers must have been comfy with, the army changed that to a 4-pack later for more reserve capacity, not normally needed by most of us. The location of the new battery box was also changed.
The dual 6TL battery box was also fully integrated with the coolant heater for arctic operations, something that was not carried over to the 4-pack battery box, which was a compromise.
I too, use commercial batteries for the time being.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
How do you spell block heater I know if I ever move back up north my trucks will get them that or because of the lie about global warming we all will be getting colder I am gonna have to put them on south of the Mason Dixon line.

CGarbee

I was using a pair of used Group 31's in the XM813 (batteries came out of a wrecker that AMGeneral purchased a while back and I snagged them for my truck as the 6TL's in it were toast and we needed something in the box for the convoy home...). They died for good about a month ago and I replaced them with a pair of 4D's (Exide, got them at Agri-Supply) which is what I have been running in my M817 dump. Both types have proven to work well in the summer and when the cold start equipment is working, but the 4D's have done better (faster cranking) on days when the temps have dropped below 20F...

halftrack

Even the Marine's new 7 tons only use 2 batteries now. They have places for four batteries but only use two. The manual says only use four if extreme cold weather conditions are expected.

To get to the point, I only use two batteries in my 5 tons. Works fine, its cheaper, and less to go wrong. I use 8D industrial equipment type batteries. I dont know if that is the same as group 31 batteries.

supermechanic

I had room for 4 batteries, so thats how many I put in.

I get 'blems' from the Deka distributor, I tell him what I want, he comes around every Wednesday.
Usually costs about half of the list price compared to the regular ones.
Blems have no label, and the case is branded 'blem'.
So far, the set of marine terminal 31's (1100 CCA) have been starting my truck faithfully for five years.
I can't tell what makes them not worthy of a brand label, and I'm not complaining.
All four batteries cost about $175.

jwaller

I put 4 in my 5 ton bc I can afford to and it does seem to crank easier when the temps drop to freezing. it would prob work with 2 but I like the safety factor of having 4.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

When it gets cold, you have two basic choices, add batteries, since they loose capacity when cold or warm the engine AND the batteries, so that two can do the job of four or more. Sooner or later, as the temp drops you'll run out of space for additional batteries and the warming option becomes the solution of choice.

Seems like newer vehicles often compromise in this department, IMHO, the 4-battery solution, the new CTIS and the electric air dryer all are limited when it comes to subfreezing operations.

DaveL

Hey Jason@snakeriver. I am Dave Larson. I live in Idaho Falls. How far away are you. I just joined a bit ago and am new to this. I am looking at getting an M35a2 or Gamma Goat. This site has been super helpful.
Well talk to me later.

DaveL

Jason, I have to go to the foot ball game. Both my girls play in the marching band. IF if playing TF. If the Idaho Falls Tigers win, we go to state and play Pocatello.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i put two 8D batteries in my 819, turns the 250 over real nice, new blems cost me $60 each, the last pair lasted me 4 years, i had one go bad in oct., so replaced both.
i figured that 8Ds are in most cat equipment thay ought to work fine in the 819, and are a lot cheaper then the mil. batteries. i keep a float charge on both, starts the 819 right up even after sitting for 6 weeks or longer, even if i need to build prime

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks