• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 Batteries or 4 Batteries?

Scottgeneral

I have a newly acquired m931a2.

Reading the forum, I understand many replace the batteries with 27 and 31 size. I am unclear whether or not one should change to a 2 battery system or stick with the 4 battery. Are there any pros or cons of either choice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the title of your thread were related to the issue at hand, the forum software would have done a little searching for you and provided some results at the bottom of the page. Try to keep the topic in the thread title in the future please.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the title of your thread were related to the issue at hand, the forum software would have done a little searching for you and provided some results at the bottom of the page. Try to keep the topic in the thread title in the future please.
Correct spelling in thread titles also helps the search function. ( 2 different spellings of batteries in the title )
Maybe a moderator could fix it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since you are from Florida you should have no issues if you go to a two battery set up. The military loves redundancy and being prepared for extreme weather conditions.
Use the highest amperage batteries you can get. Fabricate a good hold down system to keep them secure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct spelling in thread titles also helps the search function. ( 2 different spellings of batteries in the title )
Maybe a moderator could fix it.
Actually, for those who can't spell so well, it helps the search function. Can't see how it hurts it but it has been fixed.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two batteries of 4? Well to start obviously the military has always used 4 batteries in the 939 series trucks, is this necessary? That depends on your situation, 1st you live in Florida, that would to me be an automatic NO you dont need 4 batteries, is your engine in good shape? does it start well now? I live where it is cold and if I have to start my 925 in the middle of winter I plug in the block heater for 3 or 4 hours prior to starting and it always starts up darned near immediately and that can be down to -20 degrees. I run the truck all summer with no problems what so ever, I have never had the truck not start up immediately, the engine is in great shape and runs very well. I took out the 4 older batteries the truck had when I got it and installed 2 new Interstate 6TL batteries and I have never given it another thought! If your truck start hard now then you either fix that problem or put a band aide on the problem and buy 4 batteries and hope that is enough to get it running!
KK

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I run 2 group 31s in a 923, starts great, I run 2 8Ds in my m819, NEVER a starting problem, I am also running 2 8Ds in a HET, again no starting problem, I can NOT see a reason to pay high prices for the correct military batteries when a just as good battery can be got for a lot less.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan on running your truck though deep water stick with military batteries . 27 or 31 series are not sealed and submerging will ruin them.

Tactical Nomad

When I purchased my 923A2 it had 2 series 75 12v batteries that the previous owner (he thought the old batts. were 4 - 6v and that 2 - 12v would work better) had installed 3 months prior. Three months after purchase (6 months total) they were dead. Wouldn't hold a charge. Low and behold I learned that these trucks are supposed to have 4 - 12V ("normal sized truck batteries"). One pair hooked in sequence and then in series with the other pair, giving you 24 volts.

So I went two steps beyond and installed 2 - NAPA 4D Heavy Duty Semi Tractor batteries. Truck has no problem starting, even in -40 Fahrenheit cold. I did consider the differences between the 4D & 8D and felt that the size (taller won't fit w/the 923 seat down) weight and cost outweighed the need for such big batteries -v- the 4D battereis.

Kasper31

I have 3, 27 series batteries in my Deuce, 2 of the 27's are dedicated for the truck and the 3rd 27 is dedicated for the 12vdc system with its own 12v 100amp charging system separate from the truck system. Last winter with temps around 15F there was no trouble starting the Deuce.

mikey

You will appreciate 4 batteries if you live up north and try starting your 939 in sub freezing temperatures, even WITH ether.

You will appreciate 2 batteries when you leave the accessory switch on and have to charge your dead batteries, especially if your charge doesn't reach the truck and you have to take them out!

I'd switch to a 2 battery setup if I lived in FL. Unfortunately, 2 won't get my truck started on a freezing cold day in NY.

Mikey

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide two is the way to go, I would at least suggest group 31 in size. The smaller the batteries, the less cranking time you get. Fine for when all is well but not so much when problem appears. Just a simple fuel filter change can require some serious cranking events. I have two group 31s in an A1 and two Optimas in an A2. Big difference in cranking capacity/time despite the size of the A1 engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks