• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 Cyl. MEP-002A motor on a Log splitter

Ray70

So, in an attempt to not hijack another thread that mentioned building a log splitter using the motor from a MEP-003A.... I have a home made log splitter that I've been thinking about repowering with the 2 cyl. motor off an MEP-002A and I'm interested in seeing if any members here have any experience or input? I recall seeing a video from Sewerzeuk where he did this, but I didn't see any details on what parts he used.
I currently have a 4" x 24" cylinder with a 9hp gasoline engine and I believe I used an 11GPM 2 stage pump from Northern Hydraulics. This setup works ok, but cycle time is a bit slow, even when the pump is in high volume mode.
So, my questions for everyone are: I obviously need to either get a new pump (1800 RPM VS 3600 currently) or I need to overdrive the current pump using a jackshaft, gear drive, belt drive etc.
If I go with a new pump and direct drive I will need to adapt it to the motor. Does anyone have any suggestions on building an adapter? Did you use the MEP flywheel/flexplate and build an adapter plate to hold the pump? and did you use a love-joy type or other flexible coupler, or a spline etc?
Any ideas or pictures of pump size and motor adapter ideas would be great to see. Also wondering how much of the MEP engine controls you kept intact or did you just run the basics, just to make It run?

Triple Jim

Is it possible your current 9 hp engine has a built-in gear reduction? Some splitters use them and some don't.

Last edited:

cuad4u

Assuming your hydraulic pump is driven directly from the engine crankshaft and that your engine has adequate power to operate the hydraulic pump without bogging down, the cycle time is 100% dependent on the engine RPM.

Ray70

Na, no gear reducer, it was a ground blower that I didn't need. Just took off the blower assy. and mounted the pump and a hydraulic tank/filter onto the chassis of the ground blower then ran hoses with quick connects to the beam/piston/valve setup, that way I can detach the pumping unit and stick it in the shed.
Usually the gear reduction motors have that distinct "bulge" in the side cover where the reduction gears are. This one is your typical horizontal shaft with a flat cover.
Although I can say for sure that I don't rev the motor to full throttle, so I bet I am running it at more like 2500 RPM instead of 3600. I hate the sound of a 3600 RPM gas motor revving away for hours.... guess that's part of why I'd like to convert it to diesel. That plus I think it would be cool! First I need to get myself a wasted MEP-002A, I'm not going to sacrifice one of my running units for this project....

storeman

Na, no gear reducer, it was a ground blower that I didn't need. Just took off the blower assy. and mounted the pump and a hydraulic tank/filter onto the chassis of the ground blower then ran hoses with quick connects to the beam/piston/valve setup, that way I can detach the pumping unit and stick it in the shed.
Usually the gear reduction motors have that distinct "bulge" in the side cover where the reduction gears are. This one is your typical horizontal shaft with a flat cover.
Although I can say for sure that I don't rev the motor to full throttle, so I bet I am running it at more like 2500 RPM instead of 3600. I hate the sound of a 3600 RPM gas motor revving away for hours.... guess that's part of why I'd like to convert it to diesel. That plus I think it would be cool! First I need to get myself a wasted MEP-002A, I'm not going to sacrifice one of my running units for this project....

Glad you aren't contemplating disabling a good unit Ray
Jerry.

Ray70

Na, I'd never do that... I guess I should clarify a little. I'm not doing it because the current setup has a problem ( other than being a little slow for my liking ) I just thought it would be a cool project. What I found out is that my current pump is a 2 stage 11GPM/3GPM rated for 3600 rpm. I'd like to stick with a 2 stage pump so I'm wondering if I got like a 22 or 28 GPM s stage pump and ran it at 1800 rpm if I would end up with essentially the same or slightly more volume? But would the lower RPM do anything other than reduce the GPM, would it affect the pressure at all? Seems like pumps advertised as 2 stage low speed pumps are less common and more expensive. So can I get a pump twice the size and run at 1/2 the speed? Also would running a pump at 1/2 the rated speed require 1/2 the advertised HP?

Triple Jim

The pumps are positive displacement, so the pressure the pump can develop will not be reduced by running it at 1,800 RPM. The specs almost certainly say that 3,600 rpm is the maximum allowable pump speed, not a recommended speed, and the pump life will be longer when operated at 1,800 than its maximum speed.

Yes, if the pump is rated at requiring X hp at 3,600 rpm, it will require only X/2 hp at 1,800 rpm.

As I'm sure you already figured out, going to a pump rated at 28 GPM@3,600 RPM and running it at 1,800 RPM will result in a 27% faster cycle than you have now.

jamawieb

I don't know if anyone remembers but Sewerzuk did this exact same thing. He took a MEP-002a engine and set it up for his log splitter. I think at one time, he had a video on youtube.

Keith_J

So a 3600 rpm engine bothers you while an 1800 rpm diesel twin doesn't? What I am doing is getting a surplus or used electric motor in 208 three phase and use this to drive the hydraulic pump. If you are building a splitter, best to build it in a double acting design so there is no wasted time.

Ray70

For some reason an 1800 RPM diesel doesn't sound as offensive to me as 3600 RPM's of gasoline screaming for mercy! That video of Sewerzewk's is the same one I was referring to in my original post. Wish it had a little more detail, but I'll figure it all out. A double acting setup would be nice but that would be a total reconfiguration, not just a simple power unit change. However, I am planning to rearrange the entire pump/tank and trailer setup as well as add an adjustable 4 way wedge, a hydraulic log lift and a work table, so it may not be out of the question. It will be along time before I work on this project so in the mean time I'll keep my eyes open at the local swap meets and such and start collecting parts and pieces.... and keep thinking of other ideas to make it more user friendly. Maybe I'll scour You tube for ideas as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks