• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 Deuce recovery from Albany Ga

phil2968

Well I'm proud of my M109 "Troll"! She ran 61 mph on the way up to Albany to pick up a couple of M35's. I installed a boost gauge and the stock engine made 7 to 8 psi @ top speed, higher on the hills, went up to 12 psi sometimes. We ( flop88 and I) headed up on Sunday and stayed in a nice motel for the night. Next morning we found the armory and started checking out the trucks. We had to decide which one was going to be driven and which one was going to get towed.

We decided the one with the 11.00x20 tires would be driven. It started up after we installed a fresh set batteries. We added a little brake fluid but the brakes worked great! We pulled the brand new tan canvas and metal bows off to save on wind drag. Stowed those in the 109.

With that truck ready we started on the next one.

We broke out the slave cable and after adding 10 gals of fuel the second truck started up. These trucks have been sitting since 04'. We pulled another new set of canvas and bows and stowed them. Both trucks have brand new troop seats as well. We attached the tow bar and tow lights (thanks for the use of them Kenny!) and get it hooked up to the "Troll". Tapped in to the J-pipe on the air pack and tested the brakes. They worked great. After a final walk around we were ready to pull out for home.

We were surprised by a visit from sandcobra who was there to help another member from NM recover his M109, sorry but I forgot his name.

I could maintain 58 mph on level road pulling that M35! Flop88 had trouble keeping up in the other truck at times! I made it from Albany to Wildwood Fl (238 miles) on 50 gals of fuel! Well, to the end of the exit ramp to be exact! That's where I ran out of fuel! Had to pump some of the 10 gals from the towed truck to get in to the station. 4.76 mpg! Overall average was 6.75 mpg.

It was a great time and I could not have pulled it off without help from friends! Thanks again Kenny for the tools and to Doug aka flop88 for driving the other truck back!

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
rock on Phil, glad you guys had a safe trip.