• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 Guys on a roadtrip

stud_man50

Well Paul the owner has a blow-up sleeping pad so we just put that across the entire cab, were in the southern portion of VA right now, and just filled up with a half tank, should we let this thing cool every couple hrs? Or just as long as the temps are good?

Nonotagain

Well Paul the owner has a blow-up sleeping pad so we just put that across the entire cab, were in the southern portion of VA right now, and just filled up with a half tank, should we let this thing cool every couple hrs? Or just as long as the temps are good?
When you stop, idle the engine for 5 minutes or so before shutting it off. That will allow the turbo to cool off.

If it were me I'd also be checking all the fluids at every stop and monitoring the gages durining operation with lots of interest.

Did you purchase the caps for the CTIS system? Just because the computer is unhooked doesn't mean that the axle "O"rings aren't leaking. Pay attention to tire pressure as the 14.5 tires have a nasty habit of blowing up after the have been low on air or have sat while flat.

stud_man50

We have been monitoring everything but, Major fuel leak, luckily we were 1/2 mile from a rest stop. I called everywhere around here and they can't find the silver fuel line on the drivers side going from the fuel filter to governor... It rubs with another hose, and rubbed a hole. We made a 1in square of electrical tape, put a giant zip tie around that (thank you trucker) and then used vise grips to push the two line together. Were limping it to the nearest autozone so we can get a rubber hose to put around the line and put 1 pipe clamp before, after and on the exact hole.

stud_man50

Well, as for the fuel leak we were able to get to a T/A truck service and get rubber hose and pipe clamps. Sealed it up tight and got back on the road. Right now were are in Florida about 2.5hrs away from home and haven't had any other problems. When we first got to the lot the truck didn't have the belt and luckily someone was trailering 3 A3's so he let us steal his, then we jumped it to get to napa and put fresh batteries. Also the right furthest rear tire instead of a valve stem it had a plug! We bought a "handy hose" not sure if that's what there called but, we stole the valve stem off the spare and very quickly switched them without loosing bead on either tire. We pumped them to about 41psi and they really haven't moved since. We greatly appreciated all the help you guys have given us and the many trucks/parts guys. Also when we got to the lot, the mirrors were broken off at the studs! So with gorilla tape and zip tie we got some on there to look legit but the passenger has to check around to change lanes because the mirrors are use-less right now

Last edited:

stud_man50

Also for the time being what's the best way to make it "anti-theft"? Just disconnect the batteries it has to diy outside. I was thinking a hidden on/off under the dash or someone then you can turn on acc. Start.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Should be a chain that goes from the seat to the steering wheel.

When time allows, you can install a locking device over the on/off switch and/or put in a locking switch between the batteries and the engine.

You are now a hero for making it. Glad you didn't have too many problems. I'm normally the glass is half empty type of guy but for your trip, I thought it was 3/4 empty. You were lucky, now go play the lottery.

Get the VIN from the frame and make sure it matches the tag on the dash. Then post the vin to the 2011 vin info thread so we can see what history we can find on it.

mrsuperstition

stud_man50;817381]Also for the time being what's the best way to make it "anti-theft"?

I string a strong chain from one "door handle", then through the grab handle ( mounted on the cab - seen in photo ) then to the otherside, around the back of the cab. Once this is locked there is no way to open the doors - someone would have to cut through the top / or break glass to make entry. To get into the truck once this is in place, you simply unlock the chain at the driver door, slip it off the handle and your in.

I also use the chain, that CARNAC mentioned, to immoblize the steering wheel. The underdash electrical disconnect is a good idea when you have time.

Glad you guys are having a good trip
:driver:
Chris

Attachments

Last edited:

tom2147

For now at least thats what i did, wired a toggle switch under the dash to disable the start button..Works great and very inexpensive.

Oh and BIG congrats on your safe recovery! [thumbzup]

Also for the time being what's the best way to make it "anti-theft"? Just disconnect the batteries it has to diy outside. I was thinking a hidden on/off under the dash or someone then you can turn on acc. Start.