• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 M101s in bed of Deuce

trentM37

Anyone haul 2 M101 trailers in back of standard duece? Figure maybe tongues in the air, facing to the rear. Blocked/braced and strapped/chained. Have 2 M101's and a M109A3 to retreive. Will be towing the M109A3. If not feasable, will make 2 700mile round trips. Other suggestion appreciated, if I'm off track.

grounded

Banned
put atleast 1 in the bed and pull the other. but i bet if you put them in right you can easily put both in the bed. just gotta sit them down in there and strap them good. and that idea might work

rreng

When hauling M101A1's on the railroad, a DODX (RR flatcar) will have 10 or so stacked so that the tongue is pointing up at a 45 degree angle or so with the rest wedged in the same way and heavily chained.

powerhouseduece

It was not too long ago that I picked up 2 m103's and it was not that fun. I had them put one in the bed ( no brakes, no taillights) and towed the other one ( Air hoses cut). so as you could guess it was a back roads trip and a slow on at that. I guess that 2 101's shouldent be that bad. :roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can they load at your pickup point? Nice thing about 101s is you can take the tongue off if needed. You could also flip one upside down and stack it on the other if the first way doesn't work, remove tires from both. Also consider tie down points. Most deuce beds have none or less than that. I'd bet it wouldn't be that tough. You are planning to put both 101s in the bed and tow the 109 right? As others have said, you could load one and attach the other to the back of the M109. I've done that before without complications.

trentM37

Will be a Camp Dodge recovery. 1st time to that sight. Just wasn't sure how Iowa and Nebraska would be with that kind of set up. Truck/Truck/Trailer. Know/have had semi rig towed, yet that was break down, not intentional long set up. Have all the tie down gear staps/chains/binders/tow lights/bars a fool could use. Just don't want to be "That Guy". Really appreciate all info so far.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tongue on a 101 is designed to turn straight up, hinged at the front of the bed. The trailer remains in conventional position. The portion of the tongue that extends under the trailer body, unbolts at its rear, as the lunette rotates upward, the rear most portion rotates downward and serves as legs. Some folks think the setup is to act as a dump trailer, which it can, sort of. But I think the design was originally to allow a space saving during transit, but still have the trailer fully loaded.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall the length of the 101's bed - maybe 7', so it would be close to being able to haul two in a 6x6 bed, with some hangover. I won't elaborate further on that one.....
Back the first in & tip up the tongue. Tip the tongue up on the 2nd, and run it straight in. I bet they will fit, some way.

Lee in Alaska