• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 phase m109?

n2ojunkie

I was trying to wire up 115 to my m109 threw the main switch and ran into a problem. I had 115 my heater I had in the box wouldnt work off the plugs, I brought the same extension cord I was using to power the truck in and the heater worked fine. After looking at the wiring diagram for awhile and then looking at how it was actually wired and scratching my head, I realized it was set up for two phase. Has anyone else seen this on there 109?

My four breakers were set up to run off different lines, the two on the left, on one the two on the right off another. I had to take one line and hook it to the common and then run a jumper from one side of the circuit braker to the other so I had power to both sides. Everything seams to work just he way it was made to. The only problem I have is my 24v lights dont work, but I think thats because im missing the switches by the door. I'll work on that later.

alright sorry I was still tired when I wrote this. Could it be it was wired for 220? It had the 2 wire connector for 115 just like I have seen on every other 109. I also have a 6 pin connector under the 115v two pin connector, that I was told was to control a generator. Would this make any difference.

Last edited:

cbvet

There really is no such thing as "two phase" electric. I remember hearing it was something they experimented with MANY years ago, & it didn't work out.
I've never seen a shop van setup, but it's probably 220 volt single phase.

papercu

Very early and then three-phase power replaced it. FYI Generators at Niagara Falls installed in 1895 were the largest generators in the world at the time and were two-phase machines. Wayne

rmgill

Well, if you have two of three phases, you're going to have 208 volts phase to phase and 110 phase to neutral.

If it's single phase, Hot - Hot voltage is 240 and Hot to Neutral is 120. Most if not all devices will not care if it's 208 volts or 240 volts, it's largely the same. A 208 volt power input WILL pull more amps than a 240 input. But, since you're doing single phase most likely, just make sure you're wired for devices across pairs of 110 for each HOT leg if it's a 240 device.

n2ojunkie

OK thanks guys I knew what I was talking about but it didnt come out right the first time. It was wired for 220, one half was wired to run off one phase and the other side was set up to run off another. I know this is not the way its mint to be but thats the way it was. This is embaressing but I was a EMj3(sw) in the nave for 4 yrs. I worked with 3 phase 440 all the way down to 24 vdc and up to 120 or 240vdc, (cant remember but it was for a back up system) Its been 16 yrs sense I really got into electrical except for little stuff here and there. Thanks guys I just didnt know if anyone else's was set up like mine was.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks