• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 tools alternator adjustment MOD.

cucvrus

I have had a few issues over the years with squealing belts on my CUCV's alternators . I made a slight change to one bolt so I can adjust the belt with one wrench and the stock tire iron. Easy as pie. 001.jpg002.jpg003.jpgI used a discarded CUCV starter bolt (M10) and an M10 flange nut. It makes the job easier because you do not need a socket , ratchet and extension to loosen the left drivers side alternator. I picked up a Craftsman 15MM ratcheting wrench and stored in the center console. If you have squealing belts I know changing the belts can help but I do see this as a helpful hint for quick repairs on the road. Use care if you are missing the positive boot on your alternator. Let me know if this is of any use to you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very clever! Was there any need to lock the threads on the nut or does it back off with the bolt every time? I tend to replace my starter bolts so I have a couple of extras.

cucvrus

I just threaded the nut upside down so the flange catches the back of the alternator adjustment bracket. I used a pinch lock nut so it was tight the whole way down. I am sure you could run it down and put a tack weld on the nut to bolt. That would keep it in place. I never use starter bolts over. Never. They are to inexpensinve in comparison to getting a broken one out or replacing a flywheel/ring gear/ flex-plate or round steel wheel on back of engine that has teeth on it. Whatever you call it. It assists in firing up the power plant of an internal combustion engine.

Drock

Maybe I'm missing you guy's point? But all I do is stick the tire iron down inside the round hole of the top alternator brackets. Which puts the tire iron up against the side of the alt. Then just push towards the center of the engine with one hand and tighten the 15mm top bolt with the other. Does your top brackets have this hole?? alternator1.jpgalternator3.jpgalternator2.jpg

cucvrus

Maybe I'm missing you guy's point? But all I do is stick the tire iron down inside the round hole of the top alternator brackets. Which puts the tire iron up against the side of the alt. Then just push towards the center of the engine with one hand and tighten the 15mm top bolt with the other. Does your top brackets have this hole?? View attachment 556599View attachment 556600View attachment 556601
Yes I think you got it correct. And yes all of mine have the same holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks