• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 transfer cases as a double range tranny...question...

hcaz095

ts quite obvious that the gearing on the CUCV pickup is very tall... and this can be compensated for with taller tires, and an overdrive transmission.... Has anyone installed a second transfer case in order to act as a 2 speed rear end? The arrangement would be as

Engine-Tranny- trans case 1 (with front drive shaft going forward to front axle/rear drive going to next transfer case which would control the high/low range) - differential....

Obviously you couldnt run 4wd with the second transfer case not with 1:1... Any write-ups from 4wd discussions etc would be great... most things ive found are so you can go with ridic crawler setup and large tires... I would want to retain the normal driving of the current 4.89 and then be able to have a highway range... especially with a more powerful diesel conversion in the works (4bt - lack of high RPM availability).

Thanks,

~Zach

post pics/decriptions if you have them

98hd

A 2nd t-case is going to make your gearing lower, not higher. What you want to look into is a gearvendors overdrive, or something similar.

Another option is to put higher gears in the axles, and do a doubler t-case. That way you can have higher highway gears, and can use the double low range when you need the grunt.

hcaz095

ho hum

I'm looking at something that would work without getting a gear venfors overdrive unit.... They are nice, but spending $3000 is a bit much for 15mph... i would rather blow up an engine from high rpm at that price.

From Gear Vendors website....

"GEAR VENDORS is able to have a better product with great engineering benefit to the final installation. Fact is, when you are in 4X4 there is very little desire to use GearSplitting and overdrive unless you are racing (and we do make the in-between kit for that purpose), it's 2wd where the benefits of overdrive and additional gears are most needed. All our kits bolt directly to the rear of the transfer case and are electronically locked out during 4X4 operation. No additional crossmembers and you retain the factory ground clearance instead of moving the transfer case rearward which puts it at or nearer the middle of the wheelbase where ground clearance is most critical. No lengthening of the front driveshaft which can create too long a shaft for today's highway speeds and engineering concerns of joint cancellation and driveshaft critical speeds. You get all the benefits of the GearSplitting performance and overdrive economy listed in the 2wd section (see your appropriate transmission under GM/Dodge/Ford 2wd) and the best auxiliary transmission you can buy. Call us at the factory for any questions on the product or installation or to arrange for installation at your local authorized dealer or preferred mechanic."

I just want a way to be able to do the same as this by doubling transfer cases (obv having to work out the way to actually get the lever in the cab). Would it be easier to find a 2 speed rear end?

~Zach

As for the location...I'm near Munising.... I was just in Escy last night and go over to Marquette fairly often as well.

Elwenil

It would be easier to put higher gears in the axles and use a doubler transfer case to get off road gears. There is no way to use two transfer cases to do what you want to do. You could use an old "Brownie Box" but these are rare and you would have to swap to a manual transmission. There is no cheap way to do what you want, you have to pay to play and you get what you pay for. Hard work or hard cash, nothing technical is free.

hobie237

Doubler transfer cases are generally there to get LOWER, not higher, gearing. The Gear Vendors or Ranger Overdrive units would be more what you're looking for, or an overdrive trans, like an NV4500. Or both, depending on tire size.

Try www.coloradok5.com

AJMBLAZER

Damn...years ago there was a guy in Four Wheeler's big competition from Canada with a big K5 on Unimog axles. I remember he ran a NP203 backwards or something like that. They said it acted as an overdrive to compensate for the low gearing of the Mog axles.

Easiest solution for this would be to regear or swap someone axles.

Elwenil

Running a transfer case backward can be done, but not for long. The torque on the output being used as an input tends to split the case. It's been hashed and re-hashed on Pirate a number of times.

AJMBLAZER

Yeah. Last I heard the truck was stripped and used to build another TTC entrant a few years later. Don't think that one ran the transfer case.

hcaz095

What about this....

this was posted in response to this same question I asked on a separate forum.... How would this be installed? spline matching etc?

----------------

There is something at advanced adapters called a Range Torque Splitter that goes between the engine and transmission that acts as an under or over drive (one or the other, not both) that gives a 27% overdrive or a 17% underdrive. You could mount an overdrive and keep the rest of the drive-train so you could keep the trail performance, and the four wheel drive, but get some highway ability to.

Here's a link...
http://advanceadapters.com/category/...derdrives.html

------------------

~Zach

Elwenil

The planetary gears units that are installed between the transmission and transfer case are built for the application so they are designed for the output shaft of the transmission and the input of the transfer case. They tend to add 8"-10" to your transmission/transfer case combo and require a lot of driveshaft mods as well as a carrier bearing for the front driveshaft on some models. There are also overdrive units that mount to the tail of the transfer case that only work in 2WD.