• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20 inch wheels

2deuce

Does anyone have these on their CUCV pickup. I was thinking that 1100x 20 michilins would be a good tire if you could get 8 lug wheels. Recentered deuce wheels? I would think anything is possible if you have the money, but I'm looking for something economical. Thanks for any ideas.

KsM715

They make 20" 8lug wheels

This one is on CL in Kansas. Not exactly good looking wheels but I know there are other styles out there in a 20" 8lug

Attachments

Last edited:

2deuce

Problem is they don't have the right shoulder like a deuce rim does and they won't fit. Les Schwab can't get anything. We tried. The 1100rx20 michelin truck tire is what I have. I just want a steel wheel. Wondered if anyone has these tires on their truck and how they did it. Thanks

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am finishing my M1028 rebuild now, and I will be running 11.00/20NDT on custom 20" steel wheels. See posts #30 and #40 in my rebuild thread at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/54469-kinda-got-carried-away-4.html#post761174 .

I built the wheels in 1985 and ran them on a lifted civi K30. I built 5 in order to have a spare. I purchased regular Firestone split rims and then had a machine shop to build and weld-in the 8-bolt centers. If I remember correctly, the total cost of the 5 wheels after everything was close to $2,000, or $400 per wheel.

I will post more photos when I get everything done in a week or so.

2deuce

Thats what I'm looking for. I'm surprised that I haven't seen that done before but with that price tag in 1985 dollars I may have answered my own question. I don't want to give up, I have the michelin tires. I'm hoping someone has found a solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I know of someone else that wants to do the same thing. Thanks

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won a nice M101A3 and am headed to Ft. Meade next week to get it. I plan to build 2 more of the 20" Firestone split rims for the trailer, and will run the same 11.00/20NDT in order to get it up to the same level as the truck. The M101A3 has the HUMMWV wheels so the bolt pattern is the same as my M1028. I will keep up with my actual costs in this regard and post a report. Here's a frontal photo of my truck with the wheels mounted -

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Plenty of folks have run the newer 20" radials, Michelin and others, on commercial 20" light truck wheels. LOTS of pictures of it. You don't need a special rim or anything to run the modern Radials. BEEN. DONE. BEFORE.

Bling bling 20" rims + military surplus Michelin radials + big truck = safe, working solution.

Heck, Peterson's 4-Wheel & Off-Road did this with their Project Super Duty a good 8-9 years ago.

2deuce

Who makes a commercial light truck wheel 8 lug 20" that fits our CUCV's. Out here we have a tire dealer called Les Schwab. They are in just about every town with a population over 200, they are everywhere. They practically own the tire business out here. They ordered wheels for our michelin 1100rx20 tires but come to find out they would not mount them because the tires needed to be mounted on truck wheels. That's what they said.

AJMBLAZER

They're full of ****.

Notice the picture above with the big white Chevy? Taaaadaaaaaaaaa!

They don't have a special bead lip or anything on the wheels. Just a large version of a normal bead lip. The only trouble is they're heavy duty as heck so they're harder to mount than your normal light truck wheel. Plenty of folks have done it. Lots of pictures around to prove it.

Someone's talking out their ass and either pretending to be an expert or just don't want to deal with it. Had plenty of both happen in my experience.

2deuce

Possibly the dealer is afraid of a liability issue , I don't know. Those wheels at summit are expensive. Makes me think a custom painted steel wheel built to those specs might not be anymore expensive, but what wheels to start with? I'm interested in what sharecropper uses to build his. Thanks

AJMBLAZER

Anything bigger than 16" = expensive.

sharecropper used split rims. Unneeded with the modern radials. HEMTT's, PLS's, MTV's etc all use 1 piece rims now.

There are a bunch of custom wheel makers out there.

2deuce

Ok, I talked at length with a wheel tire expert and the 1100rx20 michelin will not fit a passenger tire /pickup rim. There is nowhere for the bead which is in excess of 1" to go inside the wheel. They can't be mounted. They are designed for a split ring wheel only. Marsh racing and stockton wheel confirmed this and the expert I talked to went into detail about what wheels are out there, the bead angles on the new wheels and why the 1100rx20 can't be mounted on anything new. I have to go with a split ring wheel that is the older design, because 22.5 and 24 are what is being built today. The military is probably the last holdout for the one piece design in 20". I may look into some of the one piece wheels that AMJblazer listed. Sharecropper, I'm hoping you come up with good workable solution for wheels on your trailer. Thanks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks