• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20 micron filters

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: filter picture

Do what ya need Chris, I'm sure everyone understands. I was looking online and noticed that in addition to the filters Kip has to offer, there are some rated down to 5 micron. I might just have to get a second housing and run it down to 5 micron. Isn't the deuce's filters rated at 10? Would it be a waste to go that low? I know Bjorn had some trouble with his FDC from junk in the fuel, anyone have any more info?

m376x6

If you get the chance I'd be interested in a Flat Rate USPS box full of them. I'm building a biodiesel processing plant right now and these would work super as a preliminary filter for either the initial WVO or the washed bio. I'm halfway finished with the build out and plan on processing about 25 to 45 gallons a week. Let me know your preferred method of payment and I'll get the funds out to you before you ship them. Thanks

Bryan Sage
PO Box 323
Dumont, CO 80436
303-567-4953

Deuce_of_Spades

Does anyone have a pic of the housing? Do we need to make our own? PVC? Kipman do you still have these? I know the original post was forever ago! I went with an inline set up of 25 micron and 3 micron truck type oil filters but I really need a good pre-filter.

gimpyrobb

I have a single housing setup, should have gone with a double. In a double you can use Kip's 20 micron to get the big stuff out and a 5 micron to get the fine particles out. Yes he still has some.

Attachments

Deuce_of_Spades

Robb- do you prefilter at all before you use these 20's? How long do they last? Where can I get one of those canisters and 5 micron ones, and for how much? I'm using a 7 gal/min pump with 3/4" hose, is that enough, to much?
Kipman- how many can you fit in a flatrate box? Thanks guys!

gimpyrobb

Just kind of farting around right now, lots on my plate. I have run about 15-20 gal through just the 20micron filter I got from Kip. The housing I got, I got from home cheapo. It is NOT a clear one like I posted. I will probably buy 2 more that are clear. I did not know the oil I ran through had coolant in it, but the housing had it trapped in there. I also might try to see if there is a housing that might have a drain on the bottom. My housing has a flat spot for one, but it isn't tapped. Also, my housing has plastic threads for the inlet and outlet. I don't like it. I did see some with a metal thread insert, will probably look for that feature too. Once I get it all setup, I think I will have a 20 micron water filter, a 5 micron water filter, and a "normal" spin on truck fuel filter with water drain too.

dm22630

Deuce_of_Spades said:
Robb- do you prefilter at all before you use these 20's? How long do they last? Where can I get one of those canisters and 5 micron ones, and for how much? I'm using a 7 gal/min pump with 3/4" hose, is that enough, to much?
Kipman- how many can you fit in a flatrate box? Thanks guys!
LOWES!!

They sell 2 packs of sediment filters in your choice of size/micron ratings

Here are some filters :

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=149010-43353-WHEF-WHWC&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=149007-59019-WHKF-WHSW&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=149008-59019-WHKF-WHPL&lpage=none

Here are the filter housings :

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=89376-59019-WHKF-DWHV&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=89374-59019-WHKF-DWH&lpage=none

**** They have larger capacity housings.....but the filters cost a LOT more & dont filter the really small micron stuff out ****

gimpyrobb

Cool DM, I couldn't find them on that site. The last link you posted is the one I have minus the stainless insert. Also, the third link you posted has 2 - 20 micron filters for $7.33. Kip is selling them for a buck or so each, much better in my oppinion for a pre-filter.

dm22630

gimpyrobb said:
Cool DM, I couldn't find them on that site. The last link you posted is the one I have minus the stainless insert. Also, the third link you posted has 2 - 20 micron filters for $7.33. Kip is selling them for a buck or so each, much better in my oppinion for a pre-filter.
Oh, I agree fully.

But....I use the same exact ones that he sells for my houses water, except I buy the 5 micron ones from Lowes. And I have to change them every 2 weeks due to the fact that once the surface is covered....the pressure goes WAY down.

The ones at lowes with the same micron rating are not a spool (like most).....but more like a folded umbrella. The surface area is MUCH MUCH MUCH more & as a prefilter....I think that they would last a lot longer & not hurt the flow.

55Cameo

I purchased one of the filter housings from Lowes a few months ago just like the ones above. It has a clear housing with the metal threaded inserts. In and Out are 3/4" and the top of the canister has a valve to go from bypass-off-filter. It comes with the honeycomb 5 micron filter in it for around $35. I believe that the filters mentioned at the beginning of this thread will fit in this housing. I purchased extra filters at Tractor Supply for $4 for 2 that are the string type as above. (I think that they are 10 or 20 micron) This is the exact same filter that I use on my house for water filtration. It works great for a fuel/wmo mix pumped out of a 55 gal drum through the filter and into the Deuce. I have run about 50 gals through the first filter so far without it clogging.

kipman

Filterman checking in, now that Gimp has helped out with the filter housing, I wanted to let everyone know that I have plenty of filters, I can fit 9 of them in a 12.50 flat rate box, so total would be 21.50, I will experiment with larger box say to hold 25 filters, then could price shipping if all who need them could send me there zip, thanks, Kip Thompson

Deuce_of_Spades

Thanks Kipman! As soon as I get my set up going I'll get 9 of them from ya.

I have another :?: . Is there a such thing as an OIL/WATER Seperator? I know there is a fuel/water one...Is it the same?
I want to put one in line with my other filters to get water out of my UMO as it goes through my other filters too. Does this creature exsist? Where would I find one if they do? Price?

Paul5388

All 20 micron filters are not created equal. There's an absolute 20 micron that will take out a certain percentage, usually above 80%, of the particles of the specified size. If it isn't specified as an absolute, you really don't know what it will let through.

That doesn't mean the filters under discussion aren't any good, but I would think their application would be restricted to an intermediate step, or a multiple filter system, in a more complete process.

When my son looked at small engine filters for gasoline engines, the highest stated filtration was only 15 microns, with many of them in the 50-75 micron range.

I must have missed a page of replies, so this may have been redundant information. Sorry about that. :oops:

gimpyrobb

You are correct Paul. I am using this as a pre-filter. Then it goes to a Hastings filter/water seperator that I had no clue of rating. Finally I will run it through a 5 micron absolute spin on filter. I contacted Hastings and got this responce.:

Thank you for your inquiry. The FF929 is 12 micron nominal and 25 micron absolute. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Cordially,

TRAVIS R. WINBERG

SUPERVISOR OF SERVICE ENGINEERING

HASTINGS FILTERS

Paul5388

I live right in the middle of oil and gas production in east Texas. I just got word of land in the vicinity being leased at $12,000 per acre. Even so, the concept of using waste products for fuel makes good sense, if it can be done without harming the engines it runs in. Diesel is around $4.85/gallon locally and not being an oil millionaire, I need to save dollars too.

Of course, that means this whole alternative fuel section is of great interest to me and I appreciate the "trail blazers" in the use of alternative fuels and the filter systems they have shared! :D

gimpyrobb

Since we don't have money to share, we have to share the info. If I can save you some effort great, this site has provided me with plenty of effort saving advise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks