• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

200 amp alternator question.

mattrains

I just did the swap from the 60 amp alternator to the 200 amp dual voltage alternator for the 12v out.

In the installation it asks the ground the +14v to the alternator body with a jumper. Before I do that I want to see if anyone knows why ground a + connection? Or if you have the 200 amp alternator can you see if it has a jumper from the front 14v to the body of the alternator.

Stein12501

I'm just like you. I just installed a 200 amp Niehoff and the instructions showed the jumper from the 14 vdc to ground. I didn't do it because it and it seemed to charge fine on the 24 vdc side. Although I noticed that I had a constant drain on the batteries coming from the alternator. Not sure if the regulator was bad to start with or if I should have installed the jumper. I'm just going to hook the 14 vdc to the lower battery when I get my regulator back. If you install the jumper let me know how that works I was afraid to do it. Good Luck!!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea why they ground it...I've never been able to get an answer that made any sense.
here is all I know...that lead is supposed to be run to the rear battery on 4L80E equipped trucks to prevent an imbalance
from the draw the 12v TCM creates on the rear battery, this 12v's charges the rear battery in addition to the 24v charging taking place from the main charging lead that comes from the Gen.
all I can figure is that this MWO was for trucks that had the TH400, so instead of having the lead swinging in the wind....they ground it. It's as good as any for an excuse...lol

Stein12501

It just seemed strange that you would connect the 14 vdc output to case ground. It may pull the output to ground potential which shunts the output. Not sure but was to scared to find out.

mattrains

Okay so I called and they let me talk to an engineer at Neishoff

He says in the event you install the alternator on a TH400 equipped truck that does not use the 14v output it needs to be grounded because the electricity needs to go somewhere. If you are using the 14v out you run it to the middle + of the series setup (the + of where the two batteries connect in series) and from the + and - of that battery you can run 12v accessories to keep from over working one of the 2 batteries in series.

Makes sense now.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay so I called and they let me talk to an engineer at Neishoff

He says in the event you install the alternator on a TH400 equipped truck that does not use the 14v output it needs to be grounded because the electricity needs to go somewhere. If you are using the 14v out you run it to the middle + of the series setup (the + of where the two batteries connect in series) and from the + and - of that battery you can run 12v accessories to keep from over working one of the 2 batteries in series.

Makes sense now.
as I stated in my post....I always ran the ground strap on TH400 equipped trucks, as that's what the MWO said to do.
but 99% of my builds are 4L80E.

the 14v tap is run to the rear battery POS terminal...to make it simpler.

rookie

Mine already came with the 200 amp generator installed so basically i woul just tap my 12 volts from the last battery positive side and the grounds to the negative side of the battery or yhe grounding block

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks