• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 CUCV-II SWR Axle Swap to Dually ?

Stonepicker1

Looking at maybe changing out the rear axle on the 2000 CUCV-II, Crew Cab.
The left side axle shaft is missing and not sure if the axle is good or bad. I’ll be pulling it apart just to see but want other options just in case.
Thinking of making this into a dually if it is an easy swap. If it is, I’ll be getting the dually fenders or a dually bed. Also the adapters up front.(and rims)
Question:
1. Will a 14 bolt, dually axle from a 97 3500 Chevy pickup truck work with no mods?
2. Does the SWR, 14 bolt, 1 ton axle have the same axle shafts as the DRW axle?
3. Should I stay with a SWR axle and get disc brakes?
Some say its just different hubs and brakes for the SWR and DWR and that its the same 14 bolt, 1 ton axle on the Chevy 3500 pickup's.

Attachments

Cucvnut

take the axle you have apart. see whats bad. it might just be missing the axle shaft. i think the disk brakes are a great idea.

gavan

Looking at maybe changing out the rear axle on the 2000 CUCV-II, Crew Cab.
The left side axle shaft is missing and not sure if the axle is good or bad. I’ll be pulling it apart just to see but want other options just in case.
Thinking of making this into a dually if it is an easy swap. If it is, I’ll be getting the dually fenders or a dually bed. Also the adapters up front.(and rims)
Question:
1. Will a 14 bolt, dually axle from a 97 3500 Chevy pickup truck work with no mods?
99.9% sure yes. I would double check the spring spacing, but I do not think there was ever a difference in 1 tons. All 1 ton axles should have 40.5 inches center to center between the spring pins, but some Cab and Chassis axles are 36 inches and some 3/4 ton stuff is 42.5 inches...
2. Does the SWR, 14 bolt, 1 ton axle have the same axle shafts as the DRW axle?
No. SRW and Cab and Chassis axles are the same, with the Cab and Chassis hubs having more offset on the hubs to make the axle narrower. DRW axles are physically wider, but have the "narrower" cab and chassis hubs. You could put the SRW hubs on a DRW truck to make it even wider, but not much of a point in it.
3. Should I stay with a SWR axle and get disc brakes?
Unless you have a really good reason you need a duallie, you will appreciate buying 4 tires instead of 6.
Some say its just different hubs and brakes for the SWR and DWR and that its the same 14 bolt, 1 ton axle on the Chevy 3500 pickup's.
Cab and Chassis and and SRW have the hub change trick. DRW axles are wider. Vans are a completely different animal. I bet they pulled the axle for something stupid, not much to go wrong with a 14b. Shafts should be cheap at the junk yard.

niferous

I agree with keep the SRW unless you have a real need for the dual rear wheels. As it's been explained to me before all it helps with is swaying of the truck while hauling a heavy load. I know for a fact that on Dodge trucks up to 2002 the 3500 just meant the truck had dual rear wheels. It had the same axle as the 2500 with just a spacer for the extra wheels. In fact in the owners manual the 2500 was rated to haul more weight.

Unless you are pulling really heavy wide trailers I'd keep a SRW. Also yes the extra cost of tires is a pain. You'll spend $1500 instead of $1000 when you go to the tire store. :cry:

big block 88

A 97 14 bolt Full Floater should bolt right in just check the gear ratio's. That hing would look kiler as a dually. I have a few sets of axle shafts for 14 bolts I'm not sure on the spline count though.

gavan

Found this 1997 dually axle for $200 with tires and its close by.(see pictures)
200 clams and I would be on that like white on rice.

Use it for a dually, or use the extra width to run HMMWV wheels without spacers. Hard to go wrong for 200 bucks. Just check the gear ratio.

big block 88

All 14b full float axles had the same spline count.

If you need one let me know, We have a stock pile and they are pretty much obsolete anymore. Shipping would be tough, but you could have it for shipping costs.

But I would dually it and be done with it honestly it will look killer next to your avatar pic. And remember you will be buying two more tires but you are essentailly driveing around with two spares at all times. That piece of mind alone is enough for me if I travel the highway alot.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

Well the 1997 dually axle for $200 with tires that was close by didn't work out. The seller didn't know the axle ratio so I passed on it and someone else got it.
I had another lead on a 1995 1 ton dually axle with 4.10 gears in Knoxville for $500(cash only). Came with springs/tires/rims/front dually adapters. He just called me and said he sold the rims and tires.
I also have a lead on a dually bed in Demopolis, AL.

Anyone going to the GA rally that has the dually setup that I need?

Stonepicker1

Still looking for an axle. Looks I will stay with the SRW. Can't find the right dually axle.
In the glove box it has codes GT5 (4.10 ratio) and G80 (Positraction, Limited Slip)

Found a lot on C****list, but to far away.
A guy in Missouri has a 2001 3/4 hd 4x4 that he is parting out. Axle is 4.10 with G80 locker
with disc brakes.
Would a 3/4 ton and 1 ton be the same?

Stonepicker1

Kenny hooked me up on a location for a parts truck off of CL in Homestead, FL. 1997 Chevy 6.5L 4x4 Dually.

Went to look at it today....its ruff, but it does have the right axle that i'm looking for. GT5..G80. (4:10 with locker)
Fenders have a small crack that I can fix.
Truck has around 62,000 miles on it. No engine and its been stripped inside.

I'll have a spare Transmission / Transfer Case / Fuel Tank / Doors / Fenders / Windshield and some more little things before I tow it to the scrap metal yard.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to keep th front fender flairs and install on the CUCVII..? I think that would look tough. Paint them the same color as the truck.....![thumbzup]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil, since you will have everything you need, may as well swap out the front components so that it will run the same wheels all around. I think this is probably the cheapest way to a true dually. Crikies, I forgot, that joker has a 4L80E in it.

Stonepicker1

Phil, since you will have everything you need, may as well swap out the front components so that it will run the same wheels all around. I think this is probably the cheapest way to a true dually. Crikies, I forgot, that joker has a 4L80E in it.
Yep, I will be swapping the front dually adapters...only one bad wheel stud that needs to be changed.

4L80E....yes, and now I will have a good spare......I just paid $1500 for a rebuilt BW4401 transfer case in my CUCV-II Reg Cab Truck. Now I will have a spare Transfer case also.