• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 mile road trip in an FMTV

Recce01

You won't find a finer guy, and family, to know. I had one of those 'bad days' on a vehicle recovery in his neighborhood a few months ago. He, family, and neighbors really supported me until I was back on my feet (involved a 95 degree day on blacktop, changing big truck tires, heat exhaustion, medics, and hospital, yeah, a bad day).

Have a great trip! Your new truck will be as prepped for the ride as it possibly can be.
You aren't kidding! Thank you!!!

Recce01

Sorry for all the individual posts, for some reason my iPad won't multi-quote... :/

I leave Tennessee tomorrow AM. First stop for some extra spare tires and some truck inspection in Memphis by simp5782 (extremely helpful and knowledgeable), then hopefully into Arkansas to a friends place.

TNriverjet spent the entire day with me as I rolled around on the ground asking endless questions. He also dragged me all over the city (in the truck) to do shopping sprees at Harbor Freight and Pep boys. So very thankful for his hospitality!

This community is awesome!!! So stoked to be apart of it!

Duckworthe

Scott,
Have a great trip and enjoy your Thanksgiving trip. Thanks for picking up my parts on your way also. Cant wait to see it here in person! Finally I will have someone else to go out camping were I go. No one else can follow me to my spots!!! LOL safe travels and if you need assistance don't hesitate to call. I will be in Vegas for the weekend while my drive shafts are being rebuilt.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is it normal that the middle axle is 60-degrees hotter than the other two?
Maybe but he said he has a vibration that he feels in the seat at 50. with a higher temp i am going to suspect a pinion bearing since he said he has some slop in that driveshaft yoke. the vibration from it could have wore the yoke out over time. I will be looking at it here in a little bit.

Recce01

Thanks guys!

stop 2: 64 miles
hubs 76 to 98
Axle housings 131 / 195 / 124
ujoints 75 average, front of rear axle 115
trans pan 164

338914EE-7DB1-415C-A430-09C89D9DE942.jpg

Last edited:

Recce01

Just discovered the rear most driveshaft is not phased the same as the front 2. Also, there is play in the yoke coming out of the center axle to the rear. Is that normal? Or should they all be phased the same?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just discovered the rear most driveshaft is not phased the same as the front 2. Also, there is play in the yoke coming out of the center axle to the rear. Is that normal? Or should they all be phased the same?
Each driveshaft needs to be phased with itself only, ie forward and rear ujoint in same plane. Up down wobble of any pinion is bad news.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Option if center pumpkin is crapping out: limp to Many, Louisiana to MTP drivetrain and leave the truck there for repairs. Get a rental car at nearby Ft Polk. Drive to Houston, fly home then come back when repaired.

tobyS

Does this model need to have the front and rear axle driveshafts? I'd consider taking them out on a 5 ton or deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks