• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2002 M1123 radiator replacement

Hi all, my 2002 M1123 has decided to crack its radiator. I hear there is an aluminum one out there that is better. Does anyone have any recommendations? Anything else I should replace while I am doing it? I am ok with Replacing stuff but this is my first hmmwv and I have only had it 3 months. Not 100% sure on what should be done to it at this point. I have the manuals and will be following them obviously.

part numbers and places to buy what I need would be awesome!C2E8461C-FDD8-42EB-A3AB-933DD8F4B1C2.jpeg

Reactions: OBX

FMFHMMWV

I would do the rubber hoses and the thermostat. this is a good time to replace the thermostat with a 180 degree to run a little bit cooler depending on what your weather is like. here in california it helps to run a 180 as opposed to a 190 or higher which is stock i believe.

Reactions: OBX

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I would do the rubber hoses and the thermostat. this is a good time to replace the thermostat with a 180 degree to run a little bit cooler depending on what your weather is like. here in california it helps to run a 180 as opposed to a 190 or higher which is stock i believe.
Can someone point to and inform as to for the need to run cooler? 190 to 180.

Needs me some ed u kation, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone point to and inform as to for the need to run cooler? 190 to 180.

Needs me some ed u kation, CAMO
Can anyone show that running a 180 thermostat actually causes it to run cooler? the fan determines the temp not the thermostat, there is not enough air flow to run "on the thermostat" it will always heat up to the point the fan kicks in.
I have now tried 180 and no thermostat makes no difference to the Turbo Detroit

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone show that running a 180 thermostat actually causes it to run cooler? the fan determines the temp not the thermostat, there is not enough air flow to run "on the thermostat" it will always heat up to the point the fan kicks in.
I have now tried 180 and no thermostat makes no difference to the Turbo Detroit
Radiator will begin cooling at 180 BUT ultimately engine will eventually work its way up to 210 unless you have higher flow radiator and hoses and water jackets. Just the thermostat only allows water to flow BEFORE the block warms up to operating specs. Our Diesels work more efficiently at 200-210.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks