• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2002 Stewart Stevenson 1083a1 transmission issues

Jedijeff

The push button screen is blank, not lighting up at all, breakers not popped. My main issue is locating the VIM. Does anyone know where it’s located? I found the TCM under the kick panel on the passenger side under breaker box. Also what is the correct manual I should be looking at for the troubleshooting steps. I pulled some info from Allison but it’s not specific to this truck. 9-2320-366-20-2 I found some information but want to make sure it’s for the A1. Thanks.

Ronmar

You dont have a VIM. It used to be where they put the TCU under the pax dash. The TCU was with the control panel on the A0 that used a VIM.

Your power comes right out of the power panel and any relays used for neutral start or any other output functions they installed in the power panel...

The control and troubleshooting is basically the same, you want to get the allison md3060 troubleshooting guide. In the back it shows the TCU and vim wiring, the vim was just a passthru, so any functions used on our trucks just goto the TCU on the same wiring.
And that diagram will help you sort that out, as will an A1 elec schematic, available up in the manuals section...

Jedijeff

You dont have a VIM. It used to be where they put the TCU under the pax dash. The TCU was with the control panel on the A0 that used a VIM.

Your power comes right out of the power panel and any relays used for neutral start or any other output functions they installed in the power panel...

The control and troubleshooting is basically the same, you want to get the allison md3060 troubleshooting guide. In the back it shows the TCU and vim wiring, the vim was just a passthru, so any functions used on our trucks just goto the TCU on the same wiring.
And that diagram will help you sort that out, as will an A1 elec schematic, available up in the manuals section...
Thank you, I was thinking there was no VIM on this truck.

Jedijeff

If you recently got the truck with dead batteries and someone tried to jump start it that somehow spikes the trans tcm. You can see if you have power to the tcm. The keypad gets its power from the tcm.
It has been converted to a brush truck for the fire department. Transmission was acting up then just would not turn on again. I’m using a power probe and I get 24v at the breaker but no positive tone or symbol. Means voltage drop I’m gathering. I believe I have an issue from the power supply to the tcm. I get the same reading at pin 1 and 17 in the TCM.

Ronmar

Well you can just bypass it. It has 4 terminals 24v battery, 24v load, 12v battery, 12v load. It replaced the original polarity protection device and still has diodes between the battery and load terminals.

The LBCD added the function of monitoring the alternator output voltage and RPM to determine load and alternator status. It will disconnect the batteries by activating the disconnect relay over by the manual disconnect switch if it detects an overload condition. It will also light the charge trouble light in the dash if the alt does not achieve normal voltage over 1500 RPM. It added a capacitor bank to the normal polarity protection diode function to try and catch the massive voltage spike created when you disconnect a loaded alternator from its load(batteries). I have never seen a system used like this on any other vehicle I have ever worked on. I believe it was a band-aid to try and save the very expensive alternator from the grossly oversized battery bank…

If you are experiencing power interruption, it is just some diodes, are you sure it is not a corroded/bad connection at the LBCD? It is out in the weather and this is quite a common problem(have had one myself). I don’t seem to recall anyone actually having a diode go bad…

it has 6 main wires attached. Battery, alternator and cab cables for 24v and for 12V. The battery and alternator cables attach to the battery terminal for their respective voltage. If i recall 24v battery is on top, then 24 load, then 12v load then 12v battery at the bottom. there should be a placard/label on the side identifying terminals. The cab cables to the power panel connect to the load terminals For their respective voltage.

To bypass it place all 3 wires for a respective voltage(batt, alt and load) on a single terminal. Then disconnect the cannon plug which will keep it from activating the disconnect relay…

Jedijeff

Well you can just bypass it. It has 4 terminals 24v battery, 24v load, 12v battery, 12v load. It replaced the original polarity protection device and still has diodes between the battery and load terminals.

The LBCD added the function of monitoring the alternator output voltage and RPM to determine load and alternator status. It will disconnect the batteries by activating the disconnect relay over by the manual disconnect switch if it detects an overload condition. It will also light the charge trouble light in the dash if the alt does not achieve normal voltage over 1500 RPM. It added a capacitor bank to the normal polarity protection diode function to try and catch the massive voltage spike created when you disconnect a loaded alternator from its load(batteries). I have never seen a system used like this on any other vehicle I have ever worked on. I believe it was a band-aid to try and save the very expensive alternator from the grossly oversized battery bank…

If you are experiencing power interruption, it is just some diodes, are you sure it is not a corroded/bad connection at the LBCD? It is out in the weather and this is quite a common problem(have had one myself). I don’t seem to recall anyone actually having a diode go bad…

it has 6 main wires attached. Battery, alternator and cab cables for 24v and for 12V. The battery and alternator cables attach to the battery terminal for their respective voltage. If i recall 24v battery is on top, then 24 load, then 12v load then 12v battery at the bottom. there should be a placard/label on the side identifying terminals. The cab cables to the power panel connect to the load terminals For their respective voltage.

To bypass it place all 3 wires for a respective voltage(batt, alt and load) on a single terminal. Then disconnect the cannon plug which will keep it from activating the disconnect relay…
Thank you for the information. I traced the dropped voltage on cable TL42 to the LBCD on one of the load terminals. My thoughts were exactly that of corroded contact. I went to loosen the nut and the whole stud broke. I will look into bypassing it.

Ronmar

Thank you for the information. I traced the dropped voltage on cable TL42 to the LBCD on one of the load terminals. My thoughts were exactly that of corroded contact. I went to loosen the nut and the whole stud broke. I will look into bypassing it.
Well theres your problem right there:) you can move that cable that was on the broken load stud and put it on its associated battery stud and you should be back operational…

Jedijeff

Just wanted to close this thread. After I bypassed the load Battery Control, I was now getting 24v to the TCM. Still no response, transmission selector not lighting up and truck will not crank. Replaced the TCM, which I purchased from Suprman. Repair complete!

Ronmar

Just wanted to close this thread. After I bypassed the load Battery Control, I was now getting 24v to the TCM. Still no response, transmission selector not lighting up and truck will not crank. Replaced the TCM, which I purchased from Suprman. Repair complete!
There was a company down in TX that was rebuilding them, you might be able to resurrect the bad one…