• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2003 M1123 6.5L injection pump issues HELP!

Roger0that

I have done a head job on my 2003 HMMV, and after putting everything together I am not getting any fuel at the injectors.
I have performed the following test:
  1. The fuel filter is primed and has new filters
  2. I am getting voltage on 54A and the governor (click sound when energized)
  3. Removed all injector lines and turned until drained my batteries 4 times
  4. Removed the glow plugs, installed back the injector lines and turned a bunch of times
  5. Added pressure to the fuel tank (saw on another thread by a sheriff) full throttle and turned, nothing
  6. I have even added a bleeding device on the injectors and gave it about 10-15psi to get some fuel and nothing
Any suggestions? I am thinking that maybe my fuel injectors pump when bad after being open with no lines for over 5 months.

I appreciate all your expertise inregards to this matter since I am getting frustrated by the minute.
Roger

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you getting good pressure from the mechanical pump up to the injection pump? Did it ever run before?

Roger0that

Are you getting good pressure from the mechanical pump up to the injection pump? Did it ever run before?
Yes, this vehicle was running prior. I have not checked if the pressure is between 7-10 I believe is what needs to be. I can tell you that when actuating the water trap valve it squirts hard, same as the purging screw at the top of the filter.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it can be assumed that if you are getting plenty of pressure to the injection pump, getting voltage to the solenoid and it is moving inside, your injection pump needs to go out for rebuild.

Roger0that

Well it can be assumed that if you are getting plenty of pressure to the injection pump, getting voltage to the solenoid and it is moving inside, your injection pump needs to go out for rebuild.
I was afraid of that 😔 but wanted to hear it from somebody else.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the pump cover and check that the armature for the cutoff is easily Manipulated with your Pinky finger...it’s a very fine return spring and does not take much crap to make it not move when the solenoid is energized.
50% of the m1123’s I get in the shop have bad pumps due to sitting for 11yrs in the Barstow desert.

Roger0that

Pull the pump cover and check that the armature for the cutoff is easily Manipulated with your Pinky finger...it’s a very fine return spring and does not take much crap to make it not move when the solenoid is energized.
50% of the m1123’s I get in the shop have bad pumps due to sitting for 11yrs in the Barstow desert.
Good!!! I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks 🙏🏽

Fivexfive

Short(ish) question: is it possible the screen on IP fuel inlet line is crudded up or could be substantially blocked to cause a no start? If so can it be removed with the IP in place and cleaned? Trying to avoid the inevitable rebuild/replacement. If it comes to that do you prefer to rebuild existing unit or buy new/rebuilt? Any preferred vendors? I'm in the Coachella Valley, CA area in case you know a guy.

History: I've got a M1123 that was rebuilt IROAN 11/09 then sealed up (silver tape over all fluid entries, paperwork under the seat) with 19 miles. GP forklift stabbed the tank, but after replacing tank (used existing pickup and lines) and priming fuel system it fired right up. God is good! Started every time I flipped the switch and drove well enough around the block with the kiddos. Fast forward about 10 months and now miles are at 56 from neighborhood drives. Now that I think about it I did notice an occasional hesitation or cut out after a hard acceleration and lift...hmm. After a single hard start one warm summer evening, then a short drive around the neighborhood (it tried to stall after lifting off accelerator) I parked in the driveway and restarted it (it was a reluctant start at that), next day nothing. cranks but will not fire. Added 5 gallons to ensure fuel level was adequate.
I cranked until the batteries died like a few poor souls on here... then broke out the tools. no fuel to #3 injector (easy access). getting power to the cutoff switch and did the clear line from IP, a few bubbles at first crank, but then a very slow flow. opened the top of the IP, everything moves freely with cutoff (yes, bought the 5 point security bit set from HD) changed fuel filter, I know should've done that first, because it was rough...ugh. still no fire. changed fuel lift pump. nothing. In trying to siphon from the lift pump line to the filter and then comparing that fuel from the filter I discovered a bit of filmy sedimentation via the filter side so I think (and hoping) by not swapping that fuel filter asap I may have clogged something down stream of the filter causing my issues. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I will likely need to replace IP but trying to avoid the expense since I've tested my families patience enough already... Worst part of this is that it just got plated and insured, but now won't start. Thank you for all your posts, along with the TM's they really have helped get me oriented with my new obsession.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks