• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2007 M1097R1 Project - New member introduction

15W40

Good morning all,

I recently purchased a M1097R1 3 speed 6.5 truck with a Washington title. I've always wanted a humvee since I was a little kid. This one has some miles on it, but really isn't in too bad of shape, especially considering what I paid for it. My goal is to address any safety and reliability concerns, then do a 4 man soft top conversion.

So far I've found these issues:
- Both right geared hubs leak at input seals
- Three wheels have loose ball joints
- Heater fan inop. The PO said it works when power applied directly to it, so I'm checking the wiring and switch
- Steering wheel feels tight, but there is left/right play in the front wheels. I think mainly from the inner tie rods.

Ball joints and hub seals are priority #1, so today I'm going to try and determine which ball joints it has and get that stuff ordered. I thought this would have all the latest biggest ball joints, being a remanufactured truck but at first glance they look like the old style.

Does anyone have experience with the SECO four man kit? I could just find one post on this forum and a guy said it was terrible, but I don't see many other options.
IMG_5328.JPEGIMG_5343.JPEG

IMG_5392.JPEG

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the SS forums!!
Most of the parts listed in the TMs as a M1097A1 (UOC, AVY) will be correct, there may be a few exceptions.
Here is a link to the TMs, the first 7 or so will get you started.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good morning all,

I recently purchased a M1097R1 3 speed 6.5 truck with a Washington title. I've always wanted a humvee since I was a little kid. This one has some miles on it, but really isn't in too bad of shape, especially considering what I paid for it. My goal is to address any safety and reliability concerns, then do a 4 man soft top conversion.

So far I've found these issues:
- Both right geared hubs leak at input seals
- Three wheels have loose ball joints
- Heater fan inop. The PO said it works when power applied directly to it, so I'm checking the wiring and switch
- Steering wheel feels tight, but there is left/right play in the front wheels. I think mainly from the inner tie rods.

Ball joints and hub seals are priority #1, so today I'm going to try and determine which ball joints it has and get that stuff ordered. I thought this would have all the latest biggest ball joints, being a remanufactured truck but at first glance they look like the old style.

Does anyone have experience with the SECO four man kit? I could just find one post on this forum and a guy said it was terrible, but I don't see many other options.
View attachment 920839View attachment 920840

View attachment 920841
don’t get in a hurry to buy inferior knock off parts…especially on these aftermarket kits.
I Suggest going on the FB forums where many folks I know sell OEM soft top kits.

15W40

Thank you both for the info! I'll look in that TM and see what they list for the ball joints. That's very helpful.

Retiredwarhorses - Any specific facebook groups you'd recommend? I don't use facebook but I do have an account for marketplace.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience with Seco was not positive. They were told to send a part “signature required”. UPS claimed to have delivered but no signature and my building cameras confirmed no delivery. Seco refused to refund and refused to launch an investigation into UPS. As buyer, UPS refused to respond to me when I confronted them as “I was not the shipper so I had no standing”. I needed to chargeback credit card.

Stick with reputable vendors like 86humv, RWH, Kascar, hpg, and several others whose names I’m forgetting but other members here will most likely supply.

EDIT-MacMotors is also reputable, as HoveringHMMWV states below.

EBay no-name and Asian made ball joints and parts in general fall apart.

Last edited:

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience with Seco was not positive. They were told to send a part “signature required”. UPS claimed to have delivered but no signature and my building cameras confirmed no delivery. Seco refused to refund and refused to launch an investigation into UPS. As buyer, UPS refused to respond to me when I confronted them as “i was not the shipper so I had no standing. I needed to chargeback credit card.

Stick with reputable vendors like 86humv, RWH, Kascar, hpg, and several others whose names I’m forgetting but other members here will most likely supply.

Also….
MacMotors is reputable.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience with Seco was not positive. They were told to send a part “signature required”. UPS claimed to have delivered but no signature and my building cameras confirmed no delivery. Seco refused to refund and refused to launch an investigation into UPS. As buyer, UPS refused to respond to me when I confronted them as “i was not the shipper so I had no standing. I needed to chargeback credit card.

I also paid premium for a set of rearview mirrors and upon arrival they were Chinese knock off parts.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay away from anything SECO… I got a b-pillar and rails from them and they are junk! Other member here had the same issue as I did. I still got the b-pillar because I didn’t want it on my truck. Maybe others have had a better experience than I did. I bought new oem stuff and I couldn’t be happier.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't SECO the company that got a big fine for selling the military knock off parts, or was that someone else?

15W40

Interesting to hear all that about SECO. I searched their name on this forum and lots of people on other subforums here said they were reputable. I ordered the ball joints, tie rods, steering arms, and hub maintenance kits from them last night. I called this morning to ask if those parts are genuine or aftermarket. Josiah told me the ball joints and tie rods are aftermarket but hub kits and the steering arms were genuine. I cancelled everything but the hub kits and will look elsewhere. It would have been nice to see that information on their website.

I don't look forward to replacing all these ball joints and I only want to do it one time.

Edit - I found the Moog ball joints on Rock Auto for $68 each with a lifetime warranty. Part numbers K005248 and K005247. Ordered the tie rods and steering arm kit from midwest military equipment. Should be toight like a toiger after this.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting to hear all that about SECO. I searched their name on this forum and lots of people on other subforums here said they were reputable. I ordered the ball joints, tie rods, steering arms, and hub maintenance kits from them last night. I called this morning to ask if those parts are genuine or aftermarket. Josiah told me the ball joints and tie rods are aftermarket but hub kits and the steering arms were genuine. I cancelled everything but the hub kits and will look elsewhere. It would have been nice to see that information on their website.

I don't look forward to replacing all these ball joints and I only want to do it one time.

Edit - I found the Moog ball joints on Rock Auto for $68 each with a lifetime warranty. Part numbers K005248 and K005247. Ordered the tie rods and steering arm kit from midwest military equipment. Should be toight like a toiger after this.
And MMA sells knock offs as well…so if you really don’t want to keep running all over the web looking for OEM parts? MAC, Kascar and HPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks