• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2008 LTMV goes into over charge dash shuts off

MGVFD

Hello,

Our Volunteer FD has this LMTV that has us puzzled. The dash will show that the truck goes into over charge and the dash will click and then go back to normal. This is intermittent. Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks,
Bill

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

coachgeo

hmmm... maybe Disconnect the alternator and charge fully the batts individualy. Drive it with both sides (28v/12v) disconnected long enough to see if problem repeats? If things work fine then... it could be voltage regulator going out???

hmmm... another experement maybe is to bypass the (if it has them.... 2008 should I think) the cut out solenoids by the battery box. They could be going bad and cutting power on/off. a known issue of them going bad. ... hmmm.. then again maybe they are doing their job..... as in overcharge starts..... and cut out solenoids via the LBCD in spare tire area (load balance control device?) telling the solenoid to trip off to protect everything??

Others will chime in to help you dig deeper before you decide best next diagnosis action.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should look through my 8 months of troubleshooting to find the source of a similar problem.

MGVFD

Superman that is what our mech found out. Two bad batteries. In the process of the craziness he removed the alt and the starter. He was trying a 12v conversion with out any research. He has since put everything back together, but now the transmission controller will not power up.

What size batteries does a 2008 LTMV use? Bring a rural VFD cost always matter.

Thanks to all who have offered help. You guys are what make these communities great.

Thanks,
Bill

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
He could have missed a ground somewhere putting it all back together. Does everything else power up? It could be anything when it happened after taking stuff apart. I would start at the batteries work my way to the cutoff solenoid then to the lbcd making sure you have 12 and 24 volts then up to the breaker panel the wires come up to relays on the under side. Carefully though there isnt really any short circuit protection until you get past the breaker panel.

MGVFD

Is there a 2008 electrical diagram posted somewhere. I have been looking but they are are 2001/1998.

Ronmar

Cat specced a pair of group 31 batteries for these engines, you really don't need any more unless you have electric loads to feed when the engine is not running. A single pair of the original 6t batts will be more than fine…

the LBCD senses generator overload and disconnects the batteries. I have never seen anything like this used anywhere else ever. I believe They did this because they put in too large a battery bank originally, and they did it to save the alt from cronically discharged batts.

when you disconnect a alternator at full load(full field drive) from its load(batts) it takes time for the reg to remove the field drive, and even more time for the magnetic field to collapse. This causes the voltage to spike out of control. They put a large bank of capacitors in the LBCD to absorb this energy. If those caps have failed the large volt spike probably was felt throughout the electrical system before the field collaepsed. This would drive the alt into overvolt cutoff/red leds.

Drop to two batts, the alt should never be overloaded then. Unplug the cannon plug from the LBCD so it cannot remotely disconnect the batteries ever again. This turns it into a simple polarity protection device. Then as Superman said, you need to confirm 12 and 24 are reaching the ignition relays K1 and K2 under the power panel. A large unabsorbed alternator spike could have damaged the diodes in the polarity protection device portion of the LBCD.

converting to 12v is not very practical on these vehicles. The earlier transmissions could accept 12 or 24v power, but they went to 24v only on the later versions. Feeding one 12v only may have damaged its controller… Converting to a common off the shelf 24v alt and providing the 12v power for lights with a power converter IS VERY PRACTICAL and relatively easy… it is also less expensive than replacing a dual volt alternator…

MGVFD

Where would I get a transmission controller? What are the costs? Looks like this issue is going the legal route. Mechanic is not getting it done and as a VFD we have contacted the County attorney. Just need to figure out the damage at this point.

MGVFD

Have a update. We have been working with the shop. We had Stewart Stevens come out and diagnose the issue. They say the alternator is bad. The truck will start but the transmission will not engage.

coachgeo

Have a update. We have been working with the shop. We had Stewart Stevens come out and diagnose the issue. They say the alternator is bad. The truck will start but the transmission will not engage.
you sir got a Christmas Miracle. Don't recall S.Stevens ever helping anyone.

Transmission HAS to see a good clean 24v or it won't work. On A0's there is a known issue with older ones where the wire that excites (tells it to activate) the alternator that runs from the oil pressure switch on the block ..... shorts out. Thus alternator never turns on. This will present itself as a bad alternator. .....

BUT..... that is A0's. Appears you have an A0.5 (mixed bag of parts used while transitioning to A1) or you have an A1. So not sure that relates to your truck or not. Anyone able to confirm if that excite wire thing was also an issue (or not) in the 2008 era of trucks?

Last edited:

Ronmar

Ok, if the transmission powers up, press the up and down arrows together to enter diagnostic mode. The display will flash D1 then two sets of numbers and repeate this sequence. Write these down and note if the mode light is lit(indicates a active fault).

press the mode button to step thru the 5 memory locations, D1-D5. Press the arrows together again to exit diagnostic mode. Press and hold the arrows for 3 or 10 seconds to clear active codes, and all codes respectively.

one very simple limiter on these transmission controllers is that they will not go into gear if the engine is above ~700 RPM. Can you confirm the engine RPM. Too much idle/high or fast idle selected will inhibit shifting out of neutral…

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Bad batteries will cause the alt to go into an over charge and shut down or shut the trans tcm down. Very common and it will appear as a bad alt. It could be a bad alt but I would go with batts first.

MGVFD

We have the truck back. Runs and drives. Stewart Stevens replaced the alternator, two batteries and trans controller. Still has some electrical issues. Being that this took 1.5 years to get the truck back is a pain. The other issues are because it Sat outside. Faded hoses, frozen ruptured valve and when they removed the fuse cover we had out emergency lights attached there. So I need to rewire a bit.

MGVFD

Is there a diagram for cb70? Light switch. Got the truck back with a new issue. The breaker keeps popping. None of our emergency lights are connected to this circuit. We ran stand alone wiring for all that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks