• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2008 M1078 A1R Maryland to California or Bust!

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a great way to start. On my first drive (M1078A1: three days from Missouri to Texas) I learned where most the obnoxious noises come from: low air warning, missing bushing on the cab lock, the cooling fan engaged, gear lash from the wheel hubs, squeaking rubber in cab suspension; and got comfortable driving on a county road with no shoulder at 50. Hopefully, you'll have a similar experience. Enjoy the scenery, smile all the time and wave back. Folks love seeing these trucks on the road.

Godspeed, post photographs. I wish I had taken more on that first drive—

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I go by the the “bring a raincoat and it won’t rain” philosophy, so I came as prepared as I could.
Still lots to do on the truck, so probably not on the road until Sunday. Spent all day yesterday helping the seller get the truck ready, more of the same today, and then probably half of the day tomorrow.

I feel like I’m cutting in line at the bank or something. My first road trip experience in an LMTV will be with Eco hubs, aluminum wheels with new tires, cruise control and air conditioning:)

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your photo, I don't think you have near enough stuff to take along.

My lists, no matter what I thought could happen, was never comprehensive enough.

(From a veteran of many looong trips in tacticals.)

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a convoy, one has the support of many vehicles with supplies and assistance.

Running on highways by yourself, you are at the mercy of cops, towing guys, and your own talents and abilities. Plan well, young man. It pays.

KN6KXR

I did this with my M936A2: Battle Creek, MI to Felton, CA. It was an adventure really only had one issue and fixed it with some parts support. I hope you have more than the 5 days I took that was a long haul.

sue

On the ground in Maryland at 2:00AM loaded with tools and spares to break in my new M1078 A1R with a 2900 mile road trip home to California . Waiting for the seller to pick us up.

More to come:)

View attachment 907399
We’re in Tulsa, we have a shop and tools if you are close and have a problem or a place to crash let us know ? PM us and we will give you our #

KN6KXR

SF Bay Area. 80 is going to be more direct. That said I did my trip over Thanksgiving and got froze pretty hard taking a nap in western Wyoming. Got so cold I missed my alarm because my cel phone died. If it weren't for the seller making sure the ether start bottle was charged when I left I would have had a moment there. Lesson learned: when it's that cold and you need to sleep just let the motor run!

Southern route will be longer but flatter. Handling a 37k pound truck over the Sierras was .... interesting. Also an early winter storm could kick your butt in the Sierra. My suggestion if you do 80 is keep an eye on the western forecast, your itinerary and timing. Make a decision by the time you exit Nebraska whether or not to cut south through Denver, through Lost Wages, Barstow and up over Tehachapi. It's longer, and the canyon down 15 out of Utah is a task in a big old truck, but the forecast I think will be your guide.

Only issue I had was I lost a fitting on the wet tank. I was able to field repair and got on my way. So my advice is pay really good attention to the braking system and if possible carry spares like fittings and such. Have a great time!

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SF Bay Area. 80 is going to be more direct. That said I did my trip over Thanksgiving and got froze pretty hard taking a nap in western Wyoming. Got so cold I missed my alarm because my cel phone died. If it weren't for the seller making sure the ether start bottle was charged when I left I would have had a moment there. Lesson learned: when it's that cold and you need to sleep just let the motor run!

Southern route will be longer but flatter. Handling a 37k pound truck over the Sierras was .... interesting. Also an early winter storm could kick your butt in the Sierra. My suggestion if you do 80 is keep an eye on the western forecast, your itinerary and timing. Make a decision by the time you exit Nebraska whether or not to cut south through Denver, through Lost Wages, Barstow and up over Tehachapi. It's longer, and the canyon down 15 out of Utah is a task in a big old truck, but the forecast I think will be your guide.

Only issue I had was I lost a fitting on the wet tank. I was able to field repair and got on my way. So my advice is pay really good attention to the braking system and if possible carry spares like fittings and such. Have a great time!
I’ve driven Left-right and right-left on every route except 10 and 94 and the ONLY time it got hairy was 80 EB in Wyoming. In February. Don’t ever want to recreate that trip!

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we’re on the road, landed in Morgantown West Virginia. Truck is purring like a kitten. Only bummers are that one of the bolts for the AC compressor mount apparently goes into an oil passage in the block and is leaking and making a mess, and my high budget aluminum wheel setup has serious issues. Truck has a horrible hop from the tires/wheels from around 58mph to 68mph. Smooths out again around 70. Was hoping to be cruising at 65mph, but stuck driving 55. Sammy Hagar would not be happy:)

The wheel situation is quite frustrating because both Berend and his buddy Tom told me after the eco hub install that it was the smoothest LMTV they had ever been in, literally no vibration all the way up to 80 mph. That was with the steel wheels with the crappy old tires. Then we mount the new aluminum wheels with brand new tires with balance beads in them, and the ride sucks.

Anyone with the hot tip for stopping the oil leak, I’d love to hear it. It was put in with RTV on the threads. Then pulled, cleaned up and put back in with RTV on the threads, but it didn’t really have time to cure. Hoping if it’s redone and left to sit for a few days to allow the RTV to cure it will seal. Not holding my breath though since the threads in the hole will be oily.

This will be home for the next week. Tomorrow will be the first full day of driving. Planning to go west on 36. IMG_4227.jpegIMG_4224.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks