• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2009 Schutt Industries M1101 Trailer

USMCPipeliner

I picked up a new trailer last week. I found it on the side of the road in a small town and got it very cheap. I bought a set of 20 dollar magnetic, towing lights and affixed them to the support posts. We camp, and cook a lot of crawfish during the year so I plan to use it to store/carry my camping/cooking gear. Not sure what sort of locking, rain-proof top I will put on it yet. It has a couple dings on the top rail of the bed, but it has never been issued to a unit. In fact, I found the unopened envelope containing the Manual CD stored behind the support leg's foot on the left side of the trailer. I am running the tires at 30 psi and it pulls well at 70 MPH, although it bounces when empty. I will keep y'all updated.

IMG_20151028_082937698.jpg

IMG_20151028_083102882_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151028_083130315.jpg

IMG_20151028_083204645_HDR.jpg

KansasBobcat

Good looking trailer! Looks complete, LED marker lights, shackles, strap for can, support legs, etc. I have bought several as I feel they are bargains. There is a good market now for the wheels if you decide to go smaller and lighter. The CD manual is a nice bonus...buy a lottery ticket!

KansasBobcat

2009 Schutt

Don't forget to check hub temp after a mile or two. Some of these have the spindle nut too tight and get hot. Also the dings are hard to fix unlike a steel trailer. The AL is hardened and will not bend far before cracking. I know! I was able to improve some shallow dents using steel blocks and large C clamp. Deeper, sharper creases are not very forgiving. Also, you are not supposed to use heat on the AL just like on the body of the HMMWV. If you can't stand looking at the dings Bondo is a safe way to go.

Last edited:

Piper Cub

Looks like you got a pretty good trailer. Another method to cover dings on the bed rail is to buy a piece of aluminum angle and rivet it over the dent. That way it covers the dent and slightly reinforces that part of the bed edge. If you get similarly sized rivets to the ones on there and paint it the same it almost looks factory.

hs10

Recently got a Schutt Industries M1102 also. Great trailer! 2010 and never placed in service.

Recently got a set of custom bows and will have a custom trap made for it.

USMCPipeliner

The hubs were just fine. I have pulled it about 500 miles so far with no problems. The dings aren't really an issue as long as I can get a good seal on whatever top I come up with. Thanks for the input.

goldneagle

Looks like you got a pretty good trailer. Another method to cover dings on the bed rail is to buy a piece of aluminum angle and rivet it over the dent. That way it covers the dent and slightly reinforces that part of the bed edge. If you get similarly sized rivets to the ones on there and paint it the same it almost looks factory.
Those rivets are called monobolts. You can find them from time to time on a well known auction site. I have both 3/16" and 1/4" diameter versions that I have been using for years.

FloridaAKM

One of my trailers had the same problem & it will probably destroy the seal inside the shock after a while of being used loaded. All the rest of the trailers came with grease heavily applied to the shaft to prevent rust!
I recently got am M1102 (2010 never in service) and notice some corrosion on the shock absorber shafts. Do you have something similar?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep, HMMWV - M998, M1097, etc. LLT - Trailer - M1101. Nsn: 2510-01-189-1832. Mfr/pn: 12340070. Cage: 34623.

same shock as used in H1/m998