• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2010 Hunt for Heroes Parade - San Angelo TX

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's our most up-to-date intell on the rather informal HUNT FOR HEROES Parade....

Although not yet cast in stone, our RALLY POINT will be on the east side of Santa Fe Park (& Golf Course) at East Santa Fe Park Drive and West Concho Avenue. Here's a link to Yahoo! Maps Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

To quote Post #1:
The parade is Friday, November 19th. The parade begins around 10:00 am--last year
the guys didn't show until 10:40. It's never exact.
We call it 10 to 11ish. Very strict military time!!

Therefore, we'll need to be on target no later than 0930hrs, ready to roll.

If you are planning to Parade (and have not already signed up with the organizers as a part of another Group), please let me know of your commitment no later than Monday, Novemrber 15th. PM me or feel free to call me at 325-234-2500 (cell) anytime.

For the Organizers and the Parade Announcer, please provide the following:

1. Owner's Name(s)
2. Rider's Name(s)
3. Where From
4. Vehicle Description
5. Any other data for the Announcer's benefit.

The HEROES will be driven in the Parade on Golf Carts and will freely weave to the curbsides to shake hands and greet the spectators.

They anticpate that the MV's will be interspersed amongst the Golf Carts rather than rolling as a Unit.

Following the Parade, the Heroes will be taken to a nearby ranch for their HUNT.

Later that evening, all parade participants (including those bringing MV's & spouses/co-drivers/etc.) are going to be invited to the ranch (a short drive from San Angelo) for a steak dinner with the Heroes.
NOTE: Bring a FLASHLIGHT as the ranch has no street lighting. Bringing the MV to the ranch is optional.
REMEMBER: Many of these Heroes (wounded warriors) will be on their very first excursion away from medical/rehab facilities - please do not expect them to tour your truck(s) or have much energy left after their long day and HUNT.
Besides, it's not about the MV's, it's about SALUTING the HEROES via our MV's.

Thank you, Ladies and Gentlemen.
We look forward to see some of y'all there.

John Bariou
USAFSS-ColdWarrior
San Angelo, TX
Cell: 325-234-2500
Just a FINAL REMINDER....

The quoted post above shows a link for the Rally Point and my contact info.
I don't have phone numbers for those committed to attend so.... Call me if you need anything further.
See you in the morning!!!
John

bigtoyman

Report on Hunt for Heros Parade 2010.
Ok, As a grown up I'm not going to shift the blame to someone else. Its all my wife's fault.
Before the parade started we got some quick picks of the West Texas Detachment. However in all the excitement we totally forgot to take pics of the parade as it happened.
The folks of San Angelo did a great job showing their appreciation for our vets with a great parade turn out, especially considering it was the middle of a workday. Yall would have been Proud.
Thanks to John for being our organizer and coordinator. The man steps up to the plate.
Chase and Charles led the detachment, we rode rocking chair and John brought up the rear of our convoy. (Fortunately there was none of the typical suicide tempting candy throwing)
(maybe John got some decent pics)

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CONGRATULATIONS to the West Texas Detachment Members of the SteelSoldiers for a JOB WELL DONE with the Hunt For Heroes Parade :grd:

The organizers of the event REALLY appreciated our participation and have asked us ALL back again next year.

Those who Rolled with us were....

Participant #1:
M35A2 Deuce and a Half, Towing M105 Trailer
CoOwner/Driver: Chace Aldridge , Wall, Texas (westexhunt)
CoOwner/Rider: Chuck Holler, Wall, Texas

Participant #2:
M35A2 Deuce and a Half
Owner/Driver:
Jeremy Smola, Sweetwater, Texas (bigtoyman)
Passenger: Michelle Smola

Participant #3:
“The ARK”
1968 - M35A2 Deuce and a Half
Owners:
John & Dianna Bariou, San Angelo, Texas (USAFSS-ColdWarrior)
Driver: John Bariou
Riders: Mr. James Campbell and the Funeral Directors of Robert Massie Funeral Home

This was our VERY FIRST organized SteelSoldiers event in San Angelo. Although just a short parade with "minimal" time to visit, I consider it a SUCCESS. Our mission was to SALUTE these Wounded Warriors and we did that well.

Thank you for investing yourselves in this.

Now for all of you pic-hounds... Here are the promised pic links....

San Angelo STANDARD-TIMES Photo Page...
http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2010/nov/19/photo-gallery-hunt-for-heroes-parade/

San Angelo STANDARD-TIMES Parade Article...
http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2010/nov/19/HeroesParade/

John Bariou's Hunt for Heroes Parade PhotoBucket Album...
http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv112/jebariou/20101119%20Hunt%20For%20Heroes%20Parade/

San Angelo Police Department Facebook Photos...
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=470579362555&set=a.470579177555.262469.90959687555&pid=5438470&id=90959687555

And here are a couple of pics from the BIG BARBEQUE held at the Whitehead family's RockingChair Ranch (40,000+ acres) last evening.... The menu was awesome with 1-3 POUNDS of STEAK tossed on each plate, Taters, Salad, Peach and Cherry Cobbler, and plenty to drink. (Y'all need to come next year, even if only for the FOOD!) [note: You can see how STUFFED I am in the pic below!]

Pic 1: Jim Waldrep's Mom, Ruth Waldrep and his sister Dana ****ens along with two of the HEROES. (Jim is better known here as "wallew" and has been a great enthusiast for this Event from his AO in Denver, CO.) Dianna and I had the pleasure of meeting Jim's family at the BBQ and sitting next the them for the meal... (Jim, they sure had some GREAT stories about YOU!!!!) BTW - The Ladies had just been given a GREAT LAUGH by one of the guys... We ALL had a GRAND TIME!

Pic 2: Jim's parents, SSgt. Robert and Ruth Waldrep, two of our honored HEROES, and Dianna & John Bariou (me). Jim's dad is a WWII vet. It was a privilege to get to know him. (As it turns out, Dianna already knew Jim's folks in a casual manner through her work.)

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I LOVE IT!!!

I'm so glad you folks went to the banquet. Great time to meet the warriors, old and new.

John, I can't thank you enough.

And my Mom took a roll of film. When she gets it developed in the next few days, she's sending me a cd with all the pix on them.

SO, hopefully I can add to the pix of the deuces. I got exactly TWO phone calls yesterday. One from my Mom about an hour after the parade. The other from my sister late afternoon. NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS.

Dang man, NEXT YEAR. I PROMISE I WILL BE THERE. With at least one M1009. Might talk a buddy of mine into driving something down with me.

And those are great shots.

I salute you folks. Thanks to everyone involved. I can't thank you enough.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Report on Hunt for Heros Parade 2010.
Ok, As a grown up I'm not going to shift the blame to someone else. Its all my wife's fault.
Before the parade started we got some quick picks of the West Texas Detachment. However in all the excitement we totally forgot to take pics of the parade as it happened.
The folks of San Angelo did a great job showing their appreciation for our vets with a great parade turn out, especially considering it was the middle of a workday. Yall would have been Proud.
Thanks to John for being our organizer and coordinator. The man steps up to the plate.
Chase and Charles led the detachment, we rode rocking chair and John brought up the rear of our convoy. (Fortunately there was none of the typical suicide tempting candy throwing)
(maybe John got some decent pics)
Thanks for posting those up.
And for your kind comments - (I really just did the "fake it 'til you make it" coordinating thingie.) For a bunch of amateurs, we did good.

We've also been invited to salute the troops in the upcoming Christmas Parade of lights... Looks like we'll need some generators :shock: since all the vehicles/people will need to be holiday-lighted. I'll be starting a new THREAD for that one.

Hope y'all had a good trip back to Sweetwater. I realy enjoyed meeting up with y'all.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I LOVE IT!!!

I'm so glad you folks went to the banquet. Great time to meet the warriors, old and new.

John, I can't thank you enough.

And my Mom took a roll of film. When she gets it developed in the next few days, she's sending me a cd with all the pix on them.

SO, hopefully I can add to the pix of the deuces. I got exactly TWO phone calls yesterday. One from my Mom about an hour after the parade. The other from my sister late afternoon. NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS.

Dang man, NEXT YEAR. I PROMISE I WILL BE THERE. With at least one M1009. Might talk a buddy of mine into driving something down with me.

And those are great shots.

I salute you folks. Thanks to everyone involved. I can't thank you enough.
Jim,
You are most welcome.
I think the one of the high points for Dianna and I was being able to visit with your family. I can now claim you as a BROTHER :grin:

Of course, the Parade as GREAT, too. The ultimate experience was being able to visit with the guys. They have been through H*** and have lost limbs, had lower jaw blown away, and other horrendous injuries - yet their spirit is exemplary. As one of the committeemen said, "What we do here in west Texas may not be considered politically correct, but we do it anyway 'cause it's the RIGHT THING TO DO !"

'nuff said.

Thanks to every SteelSoldier who has been with us in thoughts and prayers, and for being with us in spirit. Keep these guys in your prayers as they continue THREE-DAYS of hunting and while their spouses are pampered back in Midland.

BTW - Along with the hunting trip, each man has been GIVEN...
ALL their gear, clothing, packs hats, etc.
Rifles w/Scopes,
$1000.00 Certified check from an annonymous WWII B-25 Tailgunner,
Taxidermy of the deer heads,
Processing AND SHIPPING of the venison,
AND
All the stuff given to them and their wives (who are also being SPOILED with spa treatments and shopping srpees) will be shipped home so there's no worry about airport hassles.

[thumbzup]

GOD BLESS AMERICA !

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys got lucky. Great weather. Good group of folks. I hear the wounded guys all got a deer. Could be wrong on that one.

On another hunting note, if you ARE a hunter, you should have a conversation with my BIL. My nephew is very good hunter as well.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
go the the thread John listed above. There has been a terrible accident in Midland with four dead and seventeen injured when a train struck the parade platform.

this event has been cancelled.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
go the the thread John listed above. There has been a terrible accident in Midland with four dead and seventeen injured when a train struck the parade platform.

this event has been cancelled.
Jim,
Thank you for posting that NOTICE.

It has been a busy night and I've just logged in.

I will be posting updates in the 2012 Thread ASAP

PLEASE be in prayer for ALL involved in, effected by, and responding to the tragic accident with the Hunt for Heroes.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks