• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2010 PNW Mini - Rally

Stalwart

So how much per mile to "test drive" the HEMTT. I know everyone is thinking it, so figure it cant hurt to ask. :smile:
I have a funny story to relate to that (we think its funny anyway).

Years ago our local MV club President wanted to come up with ways to make the club some more revenues at events. He came up with an idea, we would charge $5.00 a head to drive my tank over a car.

Some background: I had recently had my vehicle arrive from England after it had a year long restoration and was built up from a stripped bare hull. Only new or rebuilt parts were used with the exception of some of the electrical boxes and wiring. Even the transmission was a new unit, but it had to go back to Alvis to go on their transmission dyno because a seal took a set in storage. The single faulty seal was found, replaced and worked like the new unit that it was. The transmission is a hot shifted 7 speed and is easily the most complex and expensive component of the entire vehicle, it is an AMAZINGLY complex piece that only the British would design. But in short, essentially, the whole vehicle was new.

Anyhow, I asked what would happen if the transmission were damaged in his planned activity. I asked if the club would be willing to pay for it's replacement. He asked the cost of the tranny, to which I replied, "they are currently running about $130,000 new, and they aren't surplusing ANY since all CVRT's are (were) going back for rebuild." That kinda ended that idea . . . I didn't mention I had a spare I got from New Zealand for $5k.

The HEMTT is kinda the same thing for me, it isn't as expensive to fix by any means, but I've mistakenly let other people drive my equipment before and several times it has ended badly. I'm afraid there are only a handful of people I will let drive it, and those are the people I've known for years and seen firsthand how they treat equipment. I let someone drive my Scorpion for the first time last year, that went well and I will let Damon (DMA251) drive it at the next Arlington Airshow.

In short, no driving my new baby at this time.

BTW, they are having me do some high speed runs with the Scorpion this year, I'm gonna try for 60+ mph on a taxiway. We tried last year but they only gave me about 300 feet of bumpy grass and that isn't enough room for 260 hp to get 17,000 lb. rolling over 35-40 mph.

wsucougarx

Stuart, to tell you the truck I was a bit surprised when the idea came up. In fact if I owned that HEMTT, I would have at least a 10 ft security rope around it. You know, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of someone starting up one of my deuces, let alone drive them. Too much liability, not enough experience, and too many things could go wrong. These things are not VW's and Honda's. Yikes, did I really say that. Sorry guys, just no comparison to these pint sized cars:neutral:

Josh

Well I totally respect that Stuart. But I'd rather ask and been told no, then not ask and there been a chance of a Yes.

And 5.00 a head to crush a car is to cheap, I would pay $200+ no problem(If I had the cash) to drive a tank over a car.

Stalwart

I am happy to give rides in it however, and I'll happily pay for all the Diesel! :driver:

Hopefully my new bed sides will be done by then, they are getting powder paint epoxy primer and 383 green top coat. The 4 color camo will have to wait 'till spring/summer.

Stalwart

Not unless the sides are back from paint, I bought it as a flatbed and until they are done it is still a flatbed with the platform almost 6' in the air. ;)

srodocker

im going to check and see if a pizza place delieavers to dans place anyone have one spot they will eat at? papa johns pizza hut? anything like that? dominos has the 3 for 5$ medium pizzas so any pizza after 3 is 5$