• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 M1167 Electrical Gremlin while on first trial drive

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

I took two trial runs and had the same issue that occurred once on each test drive around the block. At around 30mph, the lighting turned off and I heard a welding like sound in front of me possibly coming from under the dash or hood that last for a second or two. The sound stopped and the lights came back on. I have inspected the wiring harness behind the 400 amp alternator, under the dash, and behind the battery box. I have a brand new camo start box and new batteries.

The generator produces a steady 29v while I rev it in the driveway. Any ideas? Thanks20231221_144800.jpg

Last edited:

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Tomorrow I plan on disconnecting the generator sense wire, wiper motor, and light switch prior to another test drive in an attempt to locate the problem. The harness connections that go to the box are like new.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have a short in the lighting wiring and you are tripping the breaker, can you drive it in the daytime with the lights turned off?
Check the wires around the steering shaft for chaffing.
If you feel brave turn the lights on and reach up under the dash and move the wire harnesses around :)

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Are you positive the rear of the 400amp hasn’t shorted out the harness?
Ok, so I looked at the wiring again behing the genny. The small unmanaged wire branch had a fine razorblade thin nick in the sleeve that I could feel by hand caused by the sharp shroud (very tight spot to see without hoisting out the generator). I placed it in a sleeve and routed it away from the generator like the main branch. I took the truck out on the longest yet drive without any welding sounds. Unknown if the headlights flickered until I take it out at night. 20231222_134720.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks