• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 USS Torsk work weekend in Baltimore, 10/5-10/7

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if anyone would be interested in attending, but this is a military vehicle (a rather LARGE one)...

Every year the USS Torsk SS-423 Submarine museum in Baltimore MD has a work weekend to perform regular maintenance on the boat, and install new parts for the boat's restoration. Lots of work and projects get done this weekend, in their quest to refurbish the workings of this vintage WWII submarine.

If anyone would like to attend, the work weekend is Friday-Saturday October 5 - October 7, 2012 in Baltimore, MD. Lodging on board has been provided in past events, as are the meals. A $20 donation to the boat is requested for the food. If you have mechanical, electrical, or painting ability of any type, your skills can be used. Let me know if you are interested, and I can put you in touch with the organizer.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noone? Boy in past years when I mentioned this event, I at least got a couple people who wanted to go but had previously scheduled things going on. This year, not even a peep.

One of these days I'm gonna not be the only Steel Soldier in attendance. With the number of SSers in the Baltimore/DC Metro area, I'm surprised I am the only one with a set of wrenches and a paintbrush who likes to donate time to the boat.

Last edited:

ssdvc

Unfortunately, I will be on travel for work and I will not be able to make it. However, if we could get a longer lead time on the heads up, I may be able to plan for this in the future.

Thanks.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the only big work weekend this year. Doesn't require full commitment, even half a day is appreciated. But there are a few local folks who are there every Saturday morning to polish a couple things and keep her nice and neat.

Will take pictures tomorrow.

jaxsof

While I have some experience with Baldwin diesel engines, and work diesel/electric every day, alas, I have to work (to keep my job). It is a great cause, and I encourage anyone with skils, or even just wil, to give the old girl a hand. She is after all, the oly submarine in WWII to sink a train!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engines are Fairbanks Morse, 4 each, and each one is a horizontally-opposed 10-cylinder diesel. They are close to the same type as used in FM locomotives. The Navy said we could restore the engines to operational (just don't turn the shafts), but we are missing some engine parts to get them running on diesel fuel. The crew has been successful in turning the engines over using compressed air, but that's all.

Any time you want to help out, John, let me know!

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back from the work weekend - had a great time and got some important work done on the boat that has been needed for some time. From what I heard from the chief of the boat, it was one of the most productive work weekends they have ever had. About 30 people showed up and a lot of wrenches turned. Glad we could help make her a little bit better!

Didn't take pics, but many others did - as soon as I get the pictures from them, I'll post them here.