• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2013 Haspin Discussion Thread

jdknech

so does this mean if we bump someone's truck at the park, its going to be a insurance claim? i mean if i damage something, i will make it right with the owner.. but this is a off-road park, if i want to let the '15 year old kid' that someone has with them drive my 5 ton, thats on me.. and its allowed! because its OFF-ROAD! no D/L required

eagle4g63

Straight from THEIR rules......

1. Children 14 years of age and younger are restricted to camping areas and must be under the supervision of an adult.

So I'd be watchin lettin the kids drive.

eagle4g63

A quick refresh of Haspin's rules might actually help........

1. Helmets and safety equipment are required.
  2. No riding after 9:00 PM or before 6:00 AM.
  3. Speed limit is 15 MPH on all paved and gravel drives.
  4. Maintain a 20-foot clear distance from all fences.
  5. DO NOT CROSS ANY DOWNED FENCES!
  6. No hunting at any time.
  7. No firearms.
  8. Fires are to be maintained at all times.
  9. No fires in the shelters.
  10. Do not cut standing trees.
  11. No swimming in the pond.
  12. Riding is not permitted on pond banks.
  13. Buggies and/or trucks are not permitted on motocross tracks.
  14. If you must leave the park for any reason, proof of entry must be shown at the front admission office before re-entering the park.
  15. Campsite trash is to be placed in a garbage can before leaving the park.
  16. Drunken or obnoxious behavior will not be tolerated.
  17. Children 14 years of age and younger are restricted to camping areas and must be under the supervision of an adult.
  18. No one under 18 years of age will be permitted without a liability sheet signed by his or her parents or legal guardian.
  19. No one is permitted inside the park without signing a liability waiver.

212sparky

Re: 2013 haspin BS/parts/swap/etc thread.

A quick refresh of Haspin's rules might actually help........

1. Helmets and safety equipment are required.
  2. No riding after 9:00 PM or before 6:00 AM.
  3. Speed limit is 15 MPH on all paved and gravel drives.
  4. Maintain a 20-foot clear distance from all fences.
  5. DO NOT CROSS ANY DOWNED FENCES!
  6. No hunting at any time.
  7. No firearms.
  8. Fires are to be maintained at all times.
  9. No fires in the shelters.
  10. Do not cut standing trees.
  11. No swimming in the pond.
  12. Riding is not permitted on pond banks.
  13. Buggies and/or trucks are not permitted on motocross tracks.
  14. If you must leave the park for any reason, proof of entry must be shown at the front admission office before re-entering the park.
  15. Campsite trash is to be placed in a garbage can before leaving the park.
  16. Drunken or obnoxious behavior will not be tolerated.
  17. Children 14 years of age and younger are restricted to camping areas and must be under the supervision of an adult.
  18. No one under 18 years of age will be permitted without a liability sheet signed by his or her parents or legal guardian.
  19. No one is permitted inside the park without signing a liability waiver.
So no night rides?

eagle4g63

Technically.......NO...........was in the rules last year when I read them also........I read ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING I put my signature on!!!! MY moto: ALWAYS protect your butt!!

Anyway, I know we break a few of Haspins rules and they don't give us grief but, if we are trying to keep a bit of "professionalism" and a kind of moral out look on this hobby as a whole than we should at least "try" to do so.........we can't exactly preach one thing and then just do as we please when we are out there.......don't get me wrong, I am all for having the best time we can and we usually do keep it pretty clean.

I just thought a nice reminder of the rules that we do sign, whether you read them there or not....

eagle4g63

Definitely have some that sleep in a m105!!!

Actually think I saw someone just out under the stars last spring.........could have just been the place "they happened to be when they got too sleepy" if you know what I mean!!

Westech

CPL
look we can all have fun but have to respect others. party have a good time, but if your a ass-hole your going to be removed. We have removed a few non members before. (friends of members) we will do it again.
Haspin is a great rally and stretch, Gimp and I and the ex wife have put a LOAD of time and effort insuring we can come back. It takes Peat a week to fix the park after we leave. He says even the quads have a hard time getting around in 53 inch ruts.
Any other place that would take a beating like that would tell us to get ****-ed. Drink Boons farm, your Zema and have a good time... but you push it and act a fool (more then Gimp or I) and its tail lights from you is all we going to see.

eagle4g63

Personally, I thank these guys for keeping this place "open" to our big trucks.........I don't know of any other public place here in Indiana that would even allow these kind of trucks to enter, let alone drive around and as said trash the trails like we do.

Again, I am very happy for all your (Gimp,Stretch, and Westech and any I don't know about) hard work.......and don't ever want to jeopardize it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know for a fact, a lot of effort has been made by many people(nearly all previous attendees) to develop a close and respectful relationship with the manager of Haspin Acres.

That is why we keep mentioning, that as a group, we need to regulate ourselves. We have a lot riding on our image/reputation.

This is a group gathering, but each individuals actions represent the group, in the park's and public's eye.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there is one rule at Haspin that I have not seen enforced in all my few short years out there it is night riding. Just about everyone at Haspin rides at night and while it is great fun (especially in blackout conditions) it is far more dangerous. In some cases even with lights bikes and quads will fly over hills with little regard with what might be waiting for them on the other side. A few night trail rides and if you aren't careful you ending up picking parts of small vehicles off your bumper and no one likes that.

The SS members and mods that work on Haspin will have less tolerance for stupidity this year and we just can't stress safety enough. Careflight (Lifeflight) is something none of us want to see.

As for trucks bumping into each other, uh that means you were following too close or you didn't have a ground guide.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been to seven consecutive Haspin Rallies - ‘06, ’07, ’08, ’09, ’10, ’11, and ’12, and I will be there in ’13. I missed the very first one in ’05 (IIRC about 6-7members attended).

I am pretty laid back. I don’t beat on my trucks, and I don’t yell a lot or look for confrontation. I understand everyone operates at different levels - that’s ok, it is part of life. We are a diverse group with a common interest – “army trucks”. If we have some common sense and resist the temptation to “out-do” one another, we can all enjoy the event and make it home safely.

I can tell you that we have had our growing pains. Early on, it was a small group and everyone got along and stuck together. As the event grew, there started to be some fracturing, and members began to congregate and socialize in separate groups.

However, through all of this, I have never witnessed outright selfishness. Everyone seems eager to lend a helping hand when trucks are broken or stuck. Members share food and drink with those they just met. If you want to take a trail ride, there is always someone offering an available seat. And when it is time to depart, there are lots of hands available to help load up. This is what makes this “club” great!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, night rides have been a privilege we earned, by earning Pete's respect and trust. (as well as their security guard)

He has allowed this. We have never tried to go behind his back for that or anything else we do.

Seems like some have forgotten or missed post# 257.

This site is not going to be used as a site to organize drinking parties. There is no need to even discuss that here on the forums. As a matter of fact, the next person that mentions it, will not only cause the thread to close, they will no longer be able to post on SS.(other than to lay out some ground rules).

Re-read post# 257. Think it was an empty threat? When I do close this thread, you can contact the site owner and ask him to reopen it.

If your not aware of the Haspin rules, learn them.

If you need a set of rules laid out to interact as a group of SS members in public, well maybe you need to simply grow up.

Last edited: