• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2014 Camp Delta at Tower Park Meets

Major Asstyrd

The #1 and #2 largest annual MV swap meet/rally events in the Western U.S. are posted on our website. What is common to both are:

Hosted by Military Vehicle Collectors of California, the largest MV club in the U.S., at Stockton/Delta KOA, 6 miles west of Lodi on Route 12. Also known as Tower Park Resort. No vendor fee except campsite charge. Vendors must be in campsites. No admission or parking fees. Free day-use MV parking for commuters. Hotels 6 miles away. Award recognition for "Longest Distance Driving a MV," "Longest Distance Bringing a MV," "Longest Distance Travelled," and "Hard Luck Award." Living history area. Ladies Social. Catered meals, pools, restaurant, bar. MVCC Membership Meeting Saturday morning. First Sunday and Monday are for "early birds" and last Sunday is pull-out day. All welcome! Activities Coordinator: John at in_garage@hotmail.com or 415-491-1601. Go to www.MVCCNews.net for event details, hotel list, club membership application (out-of-staters welcome!), plus archived photos from members.

Differences between the two meets:

April 20-27, 2014: Camp Delta at Tower Park Spring Meet. Largest annual MV swap meet and gathering in the West! ARMOR Showcase Presented by Hagerty Collector Vehicle Insurance on Friday morning with People’s Choice cash awards. Halftrack Discussion Group & Social. Spud gun shoot - air powered. Friday Night Raffle. Possible wait list for Spring campsites. Contact Jo-Ann at mamalesser@yahoo.com or 408-440-6068 for camping requests. KOA does not accept direct camping reservations for the SPRING meet.

September 21-28, 2014: Camp Delta at Tower Park Fall Meet. Second largest annual MV swap meet and gathering in the West! Bring the kids - pool with water features, jumping bag, play structure. Adult pool & spa. Vendors, this is your chance to move merchandise before Winter. More catered dinners than in past. For camping reservations for Fall meet only, call KOA at 800-562-0913 and ask for Campground 4. Note this is a different procedure than for the April meet. You may camp in Campground 2 if you prefer. Facility info: http://koa.com/campgrounds/stockton/.

Last edited:

Major Asstyrd

I updated the April activities listing by adding a sponsor for the Armor Showcase. It is Hagerty Collector Vehicle Insurance. Cash prizes for the People's Choice Contest are: $200 for First Place, $150 for Second, $100 for Third, and a $75 Voter Door Prize based on drawing one ballot from the box prior to counting results. One of these prizes will sure help with the fuel bill! Hagerty will also provide a prize for the Friday Night Raffle after dinner plus have an info table. Stop by and thank them for supporting our favorite hobby!

Last edited:

Major Asstyrd

The MVCC is hoping for a record turnout of vehicles for the planned magazine article photos of the ARMOR Showcase Presented by Hagerty on Friday morning at the April meet. You all will be mentioned! Two halftrack owners from far away asked if there is a loading dock on site. Answer is no. These folks and maybe others would like to use trailers that don't require ramps.

If people don't mind driving from a dock in Lodi to Tower on the public road there is a back way that avoids several miles of the fast, two lane Hwy 12. But a loading dock at Tower Park would be great, wouldn't it? We asked KOA if they would build one and the manager asked to see what we need so they can make a decision. This may be a pipe dream, but we are looking for a couple of design options to submit. Do you have experience with this? Not guesswork please. Real experience with what works for temporary or permanent docks out in the dirt.

Is there anybody in range who can help with this project so as to lower KOA's cost? Like a deal on a front loader and operator, or a supplier of heavy lumber or K-wall, or someone who can supply fill dirt? Please reply to me at in_garage@hotmail.com

Major Asstyrd

We have added a British WWII desert vehicle display to the April meet: Long Range Desert Group, Special Air Service, possibly No. 1 Demolition Squadron (Popski's Private Army). This includes a multi-day display and living history camping option in the display area. Looking for uniformed folks who want to be involved.

Major Asstyrd

Loading dock update is available for anyone interested. Contact me. Added a rust-removal seminar using electrolysis. Spud gun shoot will be at the marina. Trying for record halftrack lineup during the Armor Showcase.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need to get a DUKW back in the mix.....it was a blast to watch them go into the Delta via the Boat ramp while you sipped a frosty beer at the pub. They guy who used to give rides as I understand it, sold his....he used to come in from Arizona IIRC.

Major Asstyrd

Yeah or a GPA or any amphib or G.I. boat. Maybe we should bring back the jeep trailer races in the marina. That was a riot.

Update - there will also be a meeting on Friday to discuss the upcoming group tour to London, War & Peace Revival, and Normandy in July. This is being organized by a couple of MVCCers. Still open for more folks.

Last edited:

roadkill150

If i were to come to this, is everyone burned out of the event by last weekend? Being a working stiff, I can't see being there for the whole week, but could probably swing a friday-sun, and possibly drag a mv or two along with me.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Having been to this, I consider Thursday early evening through when you turnin on Saturday as the biggies. I was there most of the week last year and it built as the week went on. I didn't necessarily see the burn out.

I do suggest bringing your favorite military movie. A guy shows up with a big screen and they play military movies but he usually plays only 3 or 4 and all week. I'd bring an uncommon one like "Odd Angry Shot" or "Play Dirty" or "Bravo 2-0" etc.

Major Asstyrd

Some pull out Saturday afternoon but the meet is so big it doesn't make a huge dent. It's by far the largest annual MV gathering and swap meet west of what - Pennsylvania? So there is a lot to see, buy, and selling opportunities on Saturday afternoon. In fact that is when you get the discounts. Many show up on Saturday morning because they work during the week. Better to get there Friday afternoon if possible, or early Friday morning to see the Armor Showcase and later the spud gun shoot.

We have a display on the schedule Saturday afternoon and a road driving tour might happen Saturday. Also KOA does their Saturday evening spaghetti feed in the Pavilion annually now. This has caused some folks to stay late or stay over. Nice social opportunity and debriefing session.

Major Asstyrd

There will be a larger living history display this April than normal. WWII Pacific theme for part of it, but all are welcome to participate with anything and any eras. Let me know if you want to be involved, especially if bringing tents or other large things so space can be planned. Individuals wanting to wear uniforms and equipment around camp are always welcome at this event.

Major Asstyrd

The event is upon us! Those looking for all info should go to the Events page on www.MVCCNews.net. We'll announce a September Camp Delta MV Showcase theme plus the April 2015 theme at the MVCC meeting, Pavilion 1000-1100. All Welcome!

We'll also talk about the 2016 MVPA Convention that has been awarded to the MVCC. It will be in Pleasanton, CA in August 2016. There are details on another post.

Major Asstyrd

A big event is over. Thanks to all who made this the biggest ever meet in the West. Special thanks to those who drove or trailered a MV great distances.

Details will be covered in the next two MVCC newsletters, or if you are not members of our club there will hopefully be articles in Supply Line and Military Vehicles Magazine (up to the editors). We can say that the Armor Showcase was a big hit despite the rain on Friday. Seven halftracks were displayed with two coming all the way from Oregon. Thanks to Steve Andereggen for being POC for the halftrack guys and stirring them up. We also had a White Scout Car, Ford M20 Armored Utility Car, FMC M577 Command APC, and an Allis-Chalmers M50A1 Ontos recoilless rifle carriage all the way from the Mech Museum at Camp Pendleton!

The September version of Camp Delta at Tower Park will have a MV showcase - Weasels and Other Tracked MVs. This is because some Weasel guys have been interested. So can we get several Weasels? Several more tracked MVs? Halftracks are invited. We are looking for a commercial sponsor for some cash prizes. Hagerty Collector Vehicle Insurance sponsored the Armor Showcase last month and got a lot of exposure.

At the Spring 2015 Camp Delta at Tower Park we will feature Emergency Vehicles - Fire, Ambulance, Crash/Rescue, MP, and Wrecker. Also Foreign MVs (including US-made MVs portraying foreign military service).

Last edited:

Major Asstyrd

Post 14 was updated to confirm the MV showcase for this September's meet, "Weasels and Other Tracked MVs." Halftracks are invited. It will be Friday Sept. 26, 2014, 0830-1130

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks