• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2014 Columbus Georgia Veterans Parade

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just walked in the door, and sent ferro on the last leg to his house. Here are some picks.IMGP0159.jpgIMGP0160.jpgIMGP0165.jpgIMGP0167.jpgAs you can see, a good time was had by all.........

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Let me tell you what a humbling experience today was.
A poor ole retired Infantry feller and some other CAMO folks wanted to put some military vehicles in the Columbus, Georgia Veterans Parade and had plenty of MVs, but only a few folks to drive them.

So...this thread was started to request help...and it was given by some super Americans.
A special thanks to Ferro (Adam) and EMD (John) for coming down yesterday and helping to refuel the diesel trucks and "tweak" the gassers into submission.

Let me add a funny story:
A retired Colonel came to my terminal yesterday and was amazed at the trucks in the compound. I invited him and his family to ride in the parade today and he accepted. He showed up this morning and I realized I didn't have a driver for the M818.:shock:
I asked..."Hey Colonel...do you think you can drive an M818 tractor for us...or the lineup will be messed up" (AMBUSH). He replied.."Yup...but I'll need some emergency training" which Sandcobra provided!![thumbzup]

THEN... BBQROD got ambushed and could not attend...so we were short a truck/driver for the Blinded Veterans Association....SO...Atomic (Russ) from Albany GA took another deuce off the CAMO line, prepped it, hung the banners and coddled the Blinded Veterans the whole way...

BUT...BBQROD sent down some most excellent BBQ to support the effort!!:beer:

SO...the moral of the story is along the lines of the CAMO motto : WHAT EVER IT TAKES!!

I believe GOD watches over kids and fools...and I am not a kid....so....

Anyhoo...here's a few pics I took:

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Got home a bit ago, WAS a great day, also met a 523 gun trucker, a real highlight of today, THANK YOU PB for making this event something that HAS becomes VERY IMPORTENT to some of us. Also got to do a quick snatch recovery ( Troys gun jeep died), Got to shake hands with some known hands as well as new hands,

Someone on the sideline as I was towing the 151 said "Great, a wrecker (Joules crane truck) doing it's job", I replied "A Steel Soldier NEVER leaves a SOLDIER behind".

Again THANK YOU Mr. PB

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Got home a bit ago, WAS a great day, also met a 523 gun trucker, a real highlight of today, THANK YOU PB for making this event something that HAS becomes VERY IMPORTENT to some of us. Also got to do a quick snatch recovery ( Troys gun jeep died), Got to shake hands with some known hands as well as new hands,
Someone on the sideline as I was towing the 151 said "Great, a wrecker (Joules crane truck) doing it's job", I replied "A Steel Soldier NEVER leaves a SOLDIER behind".
Again THANK YOU Mr. PB
Ron, that was Danny Cochran from Guntruck KING CONG. She was the first of 6 Guntrucks that came to help Proud American when she fell and Danny was on her. He's a good troop.

Ron I want to thank you for your service to our Country and for helping us today!![thumbzup]:beer:

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Today was one of the most humbling experiences that I have ever had the opportunity to experience. I was able to bring Lee and the boys this go around and show them just how supportive the people of Phenix City and Columbus are of this Country's Veterans. She left me with my youngest son to ride in the WC-22 driven by EMD and Joey stayed in the Gun Truck "The Ugly Ranger" with me. They all had an awesome time in the parade, the boys made a new friend named Shanade and they had a snack right there on the median before the parade. After the parade, PB in his true fashion hosted a great lunch and there's a saying in the south about that. "If you leave hungry, that's your fault". Well, that's never happened before at the CAMO Compound so far as I know. It was a great day of catching up with friend's who I might not of talked to enough at the GA Rally and catching up with some folks who don't go to the Rally and I only see at this event. For anyone who missed out, look at the pictures I put up earlier and make plans to attend next year if your close enough. Ferro and EMD came from the other side of Atlanta from SC, Zout and Zout Wife came down from Atlanta in the M909 (Tactical) and MDMorgan and MDMorganWF came from Warner Robins area in their M915AX (not sure but very nice low mile truck). Next year should be even better if more of ya'll show up. Thank You Papabear for continuing to put on a good show and being so gracious to this group that I've grown to think of as an extended family!!!

zout

PB does not say much - but don;t let that fool you that he is not watching everything that takes place under his watch.

He looks out for everyone with no exceptions to see they are taken care of - making sure you have the best time you can.
Your never left behind in one of his convoy's - he will make sure in any way possible you get back home safe.

So I threw on the big lights on the Joker at the tail end of the convoy - from his High Ground in the PROUD AMERICAN he watch's like a hawk - so when he could see the SUN at the tail end all the time he knew everyone was in tow.
Restroom facilities came in handy for the blind Veterans again this year once again and also a couple of folks in the convoy.
Being at the butt end which was a cool place to be I could watch everything as well - here is a couple pics from that position - on the way back these couple fellas on motorcycles with gobs of blue flashing lights were trying to get me to pull over - well I had them fooled cause I took them straight to the chow line at the Hooch and it took their mind off having to deal with a knucklehead.20141108_090043 (640x360).jpg20141108_100402 (360x640).jpg20141108_112230 (360x640).jpg20141108_112240 (360x640).jpg They were getting PO'd cause I kept taking their pic and they kept hitting their sirens.

glassk

Last year was my first year, this year was much better turn out with plenty of cheers, Thanks for including me in the Family,....

Dukwfella

As most of you read this, you'll say who's this posting, never heard of him. I have set back in the shadows and just watched PaPa Bear's DUKW thread. When PaPa Bear invited me to drive a vehicle in the parade I jumped at the chance. For those of you that have not had the opportunity to visit Camo Compound it truly is a magical place for military equipment to retire to when released from active duty. I was allowed to drive Troy's dump truck in the parade you can see it in Joker's Wild posted pictures. Troy, my son and I say THANKS. To PaPa Bear I say THANK YOU for the invite, the fellowship, the vehicles, and yes the spread of food that was unbelievable no way to leave hungry except by your own choice. To the forum members that have not ever had the chance to meet PaPa Bear and his crew let me tell you they are a very special group of people that truly care about our military. I was awestruck at the sheer number of military vehicles this private group of people put in a parade for veterans. 18 vehicles...think about that. I probably just missed them but I never saw an active military vehicle in the parade, if there were, someone let me know so I can edit this. As I go about this week, I will remember those proud soldiers that were there smiling, laughing and joking, and never one complaint...they did not get to see any of this because they lost their eyesight in the service of this country. What was my complaint? Again PaPa Bear thanks and when the DUKW goes for a swim you've just gotta be aboard remember they have a whole 3 feet free board. That's 36 inches from the waterline to top rail.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
As most of you read this, you'll say who's this posting, never heard of him. I have set back in the shadows and just watched PaPa Bear's DUKW thread. When PaPa Bear invited me to drive a vehicle in the parade I jumped at the chance. For those of you that have not had the opportunity to visit Camo Compound it truly is a magical place for military equipment to retire to when released from active duty. I was allowed to drive Troy's dump truck in the parade you can see it in Joker's Wild posted pictures. Troy, my son and I say THANKS. To PaPa Bear I say THANK YOU for the invite, the fellowship, the vehicles, and yes the spread of food that was unbelievable no way to leave hungry except by your own choice. To the forum members that have not ever had the chance to meet PaPa Bear and his crew let me tell you they are a very special group of people that truly care about our military. I was awestruck at the sheer number of military vehicles this private group of people put in a parade for veterans. 18 vehicles...think about that. I probably just missed them but I never saw an active military vehicle in the parade, if there were, someone let me know so I can edit this. As I go about this week, I will remember those proud soldiers that were there smiling, laughing and joking, and never one complaint...they did not get to see any of this because they lost their eyesight in the service of this country. What was my complaint? Again PaPa Bear thanks and when the DUKW goes for a swim you've just gotta be aboard remember they have a whole 3 feet free board. That's 36 inches from the waterline to top rail.
AH HAH!!! I know exactly who you are and we would have been in deep kimchi had you, your son and all the others not come to our rescue!!:beer:

As for the DUKW swimming...you can take my place on her first swim...like I said...I'll be on the boat ramp with the 50ton wrecker ready to pull y'all back in if things don't go right!

Oh,,,and thank you much for the kind words.:papabear:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks