• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2014 VIN Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
1986 M1008

a. 1GCGD34J9GF433363
b. NG2C5C
c. 2320011236827
d. Camp Shelby, MS
e. N/A

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Donation made in advance as well for a great cause!
Organization: 223D ENGINEER BATTALION Location: W POINT MS
Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 1-1/4T Model:M1008 W/E NSN:2320011236827
Serial Number:J9GF433363 Registration Number:NG2C5C Year of Mfg:1986
Manufacturer:93219 Contract Number:DAAE07-82-C-4060
Info Nov 1990

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
CARNAC I hear you are the wizard when it comes to getting information on CUCVs. So, here's one for ya!

A. Serial/VIN: 1GCGD34J4EF383193
B. Registration Number: 533521
C. NSN: 2320011236827
D. Where did I get it: I bought it (currently in the transaction) from Cedar Fort fire department in Cedar Fort Utah, they got it from (I was told) Lone Peak fire department about 8 years ago, and I think Lone Peak is the one who originally bought it from the military.
E. Bumper numbers: Illegible under the numerous coats of paint from fire service. (I would LOVE this information if you can get your hands on it)

Now, as MUCH information as you can provide I would be eternally grateful. I am wanting to do a complete and accurate write up about the truck and the restoration. So, anything you can give me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Absolutely nothing. The registration number is also incorrect.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Thanks CARNAC for everything you do around here. Wouldn't be the same without you.

1985 CUCV M1009
A. VIN: 1G8ED18J5GF104031
B. REG: NF0EX3
C. NSN: 2320011232665
D. Base: Fort Carson, CO
E. Bumper: None - repainted
Organization: TRANSPORTATION, PROPERTY AND FISCAL OFFICE ACTIVITY COLORADO ARMY NATIONAL GUARD Location: AURORA CO
Nomenclature:TRUCK UTILITY 3/4TON Model:M1009 NSN:2320011232665
Serial Number:J5GF104031 Registration Number:NF0EX3 Year of Mfg:1986
Manufacturer:93219 Contract Number:DAAE07-82-C-4060
Info Sep 2008

That's the registration number that was on the driver side door jam plate. Would the "contract number" help any? Or an image of the plate? The truck is home now... So I can give you any information you need... as long as someone tells me where to find it :) This is my first CUCV.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Validate the serial number and make sure it is the one you posted. Registration numbers would have normally begun with a N .
Only the serial number and/or the registration number will work. I looked for it using just the F383193 part of the serial number. So if there is something wrong, it's with this part of the serial number.

Alright... I went out and cleaned the plate a bit to read it better. Here is ALL the information contained on it (besides the weight limits, property of the United States, etc)

VIN: 1GCGD34J4EF383193
Make and Model: Chevrolet CD30903
Stock No: 2320011236827
Date of MFR: 07/84
Registration no: 533521
Contract No: DAAE0782C4060
Part No: 14067760

I really hope this helps. If you still can't find anything, that's okay. Would you happen to know anywhere else I could look to find info on it?

CARNAC, Thanks for all you do. This really is an invaluable service you provide.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Alright... I went out and cleaned the plate a bit to read it better. Here is ALL the information contained on it (besides the weight limits, property of the United States, etc)

VIN: 1GCGD34J4EF383193
Make and Model: Chevrolet CD30903
Stock No: 2320011236827
Date of MFR: 07/84
Registration no: 533521
Contract No: DAAE0782C4060
Part No: 14067760

I really hope this helps. If you still can't find anything, that's okay. Would you happen to know anywhere else I could look to find info on it?

CARNAC, Thanks for all you do. This really is an invaluable service you provide.
I have no information for it. It might have been a USAF or USMC or USN truck.

1971 M35a2 W/W
a. Serial Number 04J69771053912416
b. Registration Number ?
c. NSN 2320000771617
d. Where you bought it Private seller Treverton Pa
e. Bumper numbers Painted over but the glove box had 04J69771

Contract # DAAE0670C0001

Bluebeard

Numbers I can find on the truck and paperwork:

1990 BMY Harsco M923A2 Cargo Truck
Purchased in Maricopa Co, AZ March 11, 2014
Date of sale: 2/13/14 at GL

Vin: 2301682
SF97#: D590728
NSN: 2320012300307
US Army Reserve: ECS #: 170000001198
NLORAC printed in block letters on passenger side of dash

Numbers found on frame behind steering box (doesn't look like any normal sort of number sequence) as the digits were scattered about:
0 050 3
9434 2

Thank you for any info

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
2. My pet peave is putting I (letter india) and O (letter oscar) in your VIN or Registration Number. The military only uses 1 (number one) and 0 (number zero). Flub this and be sent back to the read this. (It's a personal psychological problem that drives me nuts).

I would venture to say it is a zero. I know the database will have it as a zero and hence the reason to specify zero.

Bluebeard

2. My pet peave is putting I (letter india) and O (letter oscar) in your VIN or Registration Number. The military only uses 1 (number one) and 0 (number zero). Flub this and be sent back to the read this. (It's a personal psychological problem that drives me nuts).

I would venture to say it is a zero. I know the database will have it as a zero and hence the reason to specify zero.

So are you saying that the military NEVER uses "O"'s or "I"'s in anything? Like the words p0pc0rn or 1soton1c? What I don't understand is the issue you are having is with the letters printed in black ink on the dash? What about all the numbers I provided that are correct? I didn't put an "I" or an "O" in my vin or registration number. The NL0RAC is just something printed on the dash and has nothing to do with the vin or registration, and the way the letter "O" is written, it doesn't look anything like a ZERO. Why the hassle? I think if it is the case that the military doesn't use "I" or "O" then specifically state that if you encounter a letter that looks like an "I", then it is a 1 and if you find one that looks like an "O", then it is a Zero- but specify that this applies for EVERYTHING found on the truck.

For you guys who are familiar with army stuff, this is obviously a no-brainer. But for someone that has no clue...... I find it a bit odd that I am getting hassled so badly for a clarification that isn't as clear as it seems.

Bluebeard

So are you saying that the military NEVER uses "O"'s or "I"'s in anything? Like the words p0pc0rn or 1soton1c? What I don't understand is the issue you are having is with the letters printed in black ink on the dash? What about all the numbers I provided that are correct? I didn't put an "I" or an "O" in my vin or registration number. The NL0RAC is just something printed on the dash and has nothing to do with the vin or registration, and the way the letter "O" is written, it doesn't look anything like a ZERO. Why the hassle? I think if it is the case that the military doesn't use "I" or "O" then specifically state that if you encounter a letter that looks like an "I", then it is a 1 and if you find one that looks like an "O", then it is a Zero- but specify that this applies for EVERYTHING found on the truck.

For you guys who are familiar with army stuff, this is obviously a no-brainer. But for someone that has no clue...... I find it a bit odd that I am getting hassled so badly for a clarification that isn't as clear as it seems.
Carnac, I'd like to offer to help you clarify your requirements for people to submit info to you. As it is written, it is a bit confusing, especially since I am not coming from a military background, I have no clue about what you were inferring. If you clarify what is required, chances are your peeve won't be exercised as often. I'm not the greatest writer in the world, but I think there needs to be a bit more clarification as to what the requirements of the info that is being submitted. I wouldn't mind helping, as I was caught in that trap and I made a valiant effort to provide EXACTLY the info you needed, and yet I failed miserably.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

Actually 1t w0uld be 1s0t0n1c. In all seriousness though, when it comes to Serial Numbers (VIN) and Registration Numbers they are all 1's and 0's, there is no I or O. Why does it drive me nuts? Because as I stated in post 1 I cut and paste to do the search in the database. Some vehicles, especially ones with short serial numbers can bring up multiple vehicles. The registration number narrows it down in those cases. And for CUCV's, there can be the exact same second half of a serial number and the database has some limitations that would take too long to type out. So I put in your O for a 0 registration number with your serial number and I can assure you I will get nothing returned. So if you want me to run it like that, I will go ahead and give you the history; it's nothing found.

Yes I've had some fun at your expense but there's been too many folks that are taking this service for granted. I don't get anything out of this and since I do it so I get to make the rules. The I and O slow me down. If someone else has the ability to do it and want to take over, go ahead. I'm not trying to sound p1$$y just trying to state the lay of the land. Been asked why I do it for nothing and I know of another person that has stated that when I quit doing it, he's talking about charging 30 bucks a number.

If I was hassling you, I'd be yelling at you and not sending some humorous videos that will hopefully make everyone that recommends this service to others (which happens a lot) to ensure they tell them to only use 1 and 0. I also consider rule 2 as saying to use only 1 and 0 but the problem is people post before reading. Ab0ve all else, 1 have a pr0blem w1th I's and O's.

N0w beat y0urself severely ab0ut the head and sh0ulders f0r quest10n1ng the GREAT CARNAC.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bluebeard - maybe you should laugh with us and let it go. What occurs is that every time this happens, a little more torque is applied. You just happened to be the one that provided the last push to get the torque wrench to click. And once the GREAT CARNAC gets his g0nad$ torqued, he squeaks. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

This isn't the only reason newbees (and not so newbees) get grief over on this site. Please take stuff lightly and reap the heap of good that comes with occasional grief.

Bluebeard

Bluebeard - maybe you should laugh with us and let it go. What occurs is that every time this happens, a little more torque is applied. You just happened to be the one that provided the last push to get the torque wrench to click. And once the GREAT CARNAC gets his g0nad$ torqued, he squeaks. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

This isn't the only reason newbees (and not so newbees) get grief over on this site. Please take stuff lightly and reap the heap of good that comes with occasional grief.

I get it that he gets frustrated- especially since he is doing this for free. But if he doesn't want to get torqued, he should make his instructions clearer. I purposely re-read the instructions literally dozens of times, because I kept wondering "why wouldn't anyone write down the numbers and instead substitute letters?" It made no sense to me. So I made sure -several times- that there were no letters included in my numeric sequences, and yet I still get the rath of cr*p. And he goes off on me about some random lettering on the dash. Hey, everyone has their quirks........ But if he doesn't want the hassle about his pet peeves going off, he needs to be clearer in his instructions.

This is a huge site and it is a bit overwhelming when trying to do searches for stuff. A lot of extra stuff comes up that is tangentially related, so you end up spending a lot of time reading stuff that isn't exactly related to your main topic. Thus, I, in an effort to reduce the time consumed reading, tend to read the first 10 or so posts on a subject and then move on to the next thread if I don't exactly find what I am looking for. I didn't read where anyone else has fallen into his pet peeve trap. I just figured "I guess other people swap letters for numbers" and thought that to be a bit odd, but had no idea of the wrath that accompanies this indiscretion. I get it that he needs the exact numeric sequence to cut and paste to his database. He just needs to make his request clearer and then he won't have to waste his time admonishing every newbie that comes around...... Unless he gets his kicks harassing unsuspecting people just looking for a little info.

I'm not mad- I get quirky guys- ****, we are all a little quirky (who is "normal" that buys military vehicles?) My wife calls the 923A2, the "beast". So no hard feelings on my end.

Either way, I will write this adventure off as my first "skirmish" at Steel Soldiers. Hopefully, I still can get some info from him.... if my information is in the correct format???? I still am not sure what he was harassing me about - other than the lettering on the dash (which WASN"T a numeric sequence). As soon as I figure out EXACTLY what I did wrong, I will submit to him an addendum which he may choose or not choose to add to his instructions to help clarify his requirements for requests of information.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Oh, I got it, I'm sorry I'm the most screwed up person in the world. Please accept my apology for being so wrong. I will have one of the mods immediately take action to make it clear beyond any possible misunderstanding.

Mod please change rule 2 from

to

2. My pet peave is putting I (letter india) and O (letter oscar) in your VIN or Registration Number. The military ONLY uses 1 (number one) and 0 (number zero). Flub this and be sent back to the read this. (It's a personal psychological problem that drives me nuts). If you use an I or an O in your VIN or Registration Number, you are an idiot.

Hopefully this helps clarify rule #2. Have a wonderful day.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a M931A2 Tractor purchased from Ft. Worth, Tarrant County, TX GL site.

a) Serial No: 1044AA022
b) USA No: NL0U0H
c) NSN No: 2320012300302
d) Ft Worth, Tx
e) N/A

Other numbers that may have value (ref. Picture and typed below so you can cut and paste if they can help):
19207125050430521044AA022NL0U0H
W911SE07D0026

Attachments

Valpodeuce

Carnac

serial c52307531
identification nloksy c52307531
nsn 2320010502084
truck cargo, 5 ton 6x6 m923 wo/w
purchased from government liquidation
front markings wz4n99 d0060
rear markings 11th avn hhc108

Thank you This is my first truck

Valpo deuce

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks