• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2017 SoCal Summer Rally Aug, 4-6 Big Bear California San Bernardino Mtns. camping

Blendmaster2002

Ok everyone the 2017 Southern California Summer Rally will be held again in the San Bernardino Mountains, in the Big Bear area amongst the trees.

Dates: Friday August 4 through Sunday August 6.

Location: I have reserved/pre-paid for the Big Pine Flat Equestrian Group Campground, the Campground is ours starting around 2PM Friday.

The location has picnic tables, vault toilets, water, grills, campfire circles (campfire and grill use allowed, but is dependent on current fire danger I have to verify before leaving at the time of the event.)

I will be bringing a stand alone sink, soap and towel for a hand washing station.

We will be camping at the event, there will be truck drives, horse shoes, Darts and probably other activities. It will be a fun relaxing weekend away from it all, along with seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Friday dinner is pot luck so be creative!

Saturday I will be Barbequing for everyone.

Friday-convoy/trail run to camp starting at the I-15 freeway in Hesperia traveling down Main Street Hesperia then we head up the dirt roads to the campground, more details below.

Any steel soldiers members are welcome to attend the event, so come out and join us!

Be sure to bring plenty of fuel and supplies, including your favorite beverages.

Please Tread Lighly, do not park on vegetation and stay on established roads and trails.

You can go to the Campsite at any time during the Rally, just follow the directions below.

There is a $15.00 per person fee to help cover the campground fees, Kids are free.

Please post up if attending, what you will be driving and how many in your group. you can also just show up at the site anytime during the event, I just like to get an idea of how many will be attending ahead of time to have enough food for the BBQ.

Adventure Pass info, Basically to drive to the camp ground and back no stopping no pass required. if you stop along the way a $5.00 Day Adventure for each day a Pass is required or an annual pass can be purchased for $30 which are available at retailers such as Big 5 etc., and the Big Bear Discovery center. if going on any truck trail rides or the convoy it would be a good idea to have one since we will be stopping at points.

Where to buy Adventure Passes, retail stores and online: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sbnf/p...fsbdev7_007751

Directions to Big Pine Flat Equestrian Group Campground:
Latitude : 34.315212
Longitude : -117.016314
Elevation : 6820ft

Highway 330 to Running Springs, then head northeast on Highway 18 to Highway 38. Do not cross the Big Bear Lake Dam. Continue on Highway 38 to Fawnskin. Turn left onto Forest Road 3N14(also known as Rim of the World Dr and Coexy Rd/ Coxey truck trail.) and continue about 6 miles to Forest Road 3N16. Turn left and continue less than a mile, then turn right and continue to the campground.
google map link: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.1...e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

Friday Convoy: meeting spot is behind the Shell gas station across the street from the In-N-Out Burger located at 13074 Main St Hesperia, CA 92345, right off the 15 fwy. Morning meet time and departure to be determined. The route will take us to Bowen Ranch Rd and Roundup way in apple valley CA, going up Coxey Truck Trail (NF 3n14) passed Horse springs Campground(vault restrooms available) we could have lunch or snack here depending on time weather etc., then continue on to big pine flats which is where the campground is located.
Google map showing convoy meet place and route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.4...782487!1m0!3e0

Here is a link to a the past 2016 Summer Rally: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-San-Bernardino-Mtns-camping&referrerid=19939

Here is a link to a the past 2015 Summer Rally: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ferrerid=19939

Here is a link to a the past 2014 Summer Rally: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ferrerid=19939

also a past one day trip to the area to get an idea:http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ferrerid=19939

Campground pictures below.

Attachments

Last edited:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in! Can't wait!
Y'all should have a get together during the Spring and Fall too. These seem to be too far in between.

DavidWymore

I'm planning to come. Read about it on facebook from Bearret Pemberton. Not sure if I'll bring my deuce as it's about 8 hr drive and it will be triple digit temps for most of the trip.

Blendmaster2002

Hello David Wymore, yes I posted it on the steel soldiers page on facebook as well. It will be cool temps in the mountains though..... just warm getting here.....

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

DavidWymore

I'm good up to 90 in the deuce. After that, forget it. Not worth it.

I could go west into the mountains and then north through them to avoid the heat but that will take even longer. I'd have to take Friday and Monday off just to get there and back.

JDToumanian

I won't be able to make it to this one, not with an MV anyway. The HEMTT is going to be down until at least the fall for heavy maintenance and upgrades, I'm rebuilding the cooling system (new radiator, hoses, and water pump) and installing Oshkosh factory air conditioning.

Jon

Last edited:

True Knight

Wonderful. Hopefully I can get the days off!

That HEMTT would be a monster getting up there! It could probably make it, but there would be some tight spots for sure!

Fastnova, do you have some egg producing birds that you will bring as well? If not, Speedy will suffice. Ha ha.

armytruck63

I won't be able to make it to this one, not with an MV anyway. The HEMTT is going to be down until at least the fall for heavy maintenance and upgrades, I'm rebuilding the cooling system (new radiator, hoses, and water pump) and installing Oshkosh factory air conditioning.

Jon

Hey JD, why not come up in a civvy vehicle, at least for one day. You can always get a ride in an MV if you need a fix.

Blendmaster2002

Jon
Hey John, if you still have your Deuce drive it, I am sure it would appreciate the exercise, and it's cooler temps in the mountains perfect deuce climate......

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

JDToumanian

Hey Jon, if you still have your Deuce drive it, I am sure it would appreciate the exercise, and it's cooler temps in the mountains perfect deuce climate......
The deuce has non-op registration and I let the insurance lapse. Part of the deal with my wife* when I bought the HEMTT was that I would sell the deuce, which I am going to be doing soon... It needs a few things to be repaired, the windshield wipers stopped working, the speedometer cable broke, and the passenger's seat canvas tore.

*I discovered that HEMTTs were being surplussed, and decided to buy one, at a bad time for us. We were planning to build a house on our vacant property, or buy another house (which is what we ended up doing) AND I had literally just bought my XM818 the week before, so the revelation that I wanted to buy yet another MV came as a shock.

True Knight

No egg producing birds at the moment. Can't do Speedy(my dog) he's my copilot while I'm on the road.:)
I wasn't saying we should eat speedy! Ha ha ha! He doesn't have enough meat for everyone anyway. Ha ha. Have you ever taken him camping? He'd probably love all that space to chase balls

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks