• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20k Garwood winch install on a Deuce

I don't see how you can change the side the winch drives from.
Maybe Im missing some thing
I was kinda thinking the same thing... the deuce winch driveshaft is on the drivers side while the 5-ton winch driveshaft is on the passenger side...

Opps... I just found how they can be switched to the other side.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those winches can be changed for the input to be on either side, and going either direction. Just swap the pieces & point the shaft going which ever way you want it. Everything is reversible. I've done it with both of them.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With 14.00's and the additional weight + bobbed, I'd consider going to larger brake wheel cylinders....going from 1 3/8" to 1 1/2" WC piston at least on the front. They swap out with a small mod to the push rod. You may need a wheelie bar on the front.

Really....make sure you can get stopped.

I went and compared the two winches that I have, and there is a considerable size difference, however I just couldn't imagine using either one for anything more than the occasional self-recovery. They're just not what I would consider to be very user friendly. You should have two people operating it for safety reasons, and those cables are just plain heavy... you'll definitely be getting a workout.
If I were planning on using a winch on a daily basis I would definitely be looking into the electric ones with the synthetic cable.

BEASTMASTER

you talk about bigger tires and heavier springs ,but you're not saying anything about the front end suspension. all the bearings in the front end are abut the same size as a heavy duty one ton pickup truck. be prepared to replace you're king pin bearings regularly.

I take good care of my truck I don't beat the pi** out of it like some Craigslist mud junk or hot rod it. I ll upgrade things if and when they need it. I wouldn't do this mod if I wasn't confident in my ability to maintain the truck this next year makes 7 years I've owned it ups and downs included. So just sit back relax and enjoy;) I appreciate all of the input and welcome it always. That's why I'm here and enjoy sharing this with all of you well most of you LOL;)

I will have to locate one as of now just have the level wind.I ll make a video tomorrow of progress the rollers on bumber are flipped back to the downward position. I ll get it up asap.

Last edited:
I spent all of yesterday rebuilding level wind assembly. I use Krud cutter to remove rust and put all new grease nipples, made my own packing for bearings and swivel,and filled with Lucas green grease. I still have more to do.

I have the level wind bolted on temporarily I need the correct bolts to hold trolley in place. It didnt come with them. I'm also have an issue with the swivel grease nipple. I also will need to relocate the tensioner once I can locate one. I have some holes to drill and some other fabrication work but is going well so far.

Bhussey

I have the level wind bolted on temporarily I need the correct bolts to hold trolley in place. It didnt come with them. I'm also have an issue with the swivel grease nipple. I also will need to relocate the tensioner once I can locate one. I have some holes to drill and some other fabrication work but is going well so far.
I am interested in doing this for my M35, how did the project turn out? Truck still going strong?

Pictures of the finished project?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen deuce front spindles develop cracks when subjected to heavy loads continuously.

Front mounted A-frames are notorious for this with all the extra weight and shock loads.

Always have them Magnafluxed before reusing.

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks